New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Good day to all,
    need help
    Alam ko medyo di dapat sila icompare but i need the 7 seats.
    what would you recommend in terms of :

- everyday use (weekdays 2 person)(weekends 6-7 person)
    - long drive 3 hours minimum (at least once a month)
    - fuel consumption
    - ease of maintenance

thanks and more power

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    In terms of third row legroom, the Fortuner is bit roomier because there is floor space unlike in the Grandis where the sitting position is closer to a crouch. But the Fortuner has a reputation for being bumpy (which I wouldn't know bec. I always sit infront).

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    I'd go for the Grandis hands down

The Fort has become too common for me. So common it has lost its appeal. The Grandis' design is waaaay ahead of its time.

my :twocents:

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    although wala sa choices.. why don't you take a look for a Kia Carnival LWB since you are looking for an everyday ride and at the same time a people mover...

3 hours drive will be exhausting so you need a comfortable ride... seats 7 comfortably yet still have space for some cargo. power sliding doors and tailgate pa..

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    my cousin had a grandis which he was so glad to have sold. ang ganda kaso lakas daw sa gas!! swerte na raw 5km/liter.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    i need the 7 seats.
    Functionally, you can make do with either vehicle.

For me, i kind of view the Grandis as a glorified Innova but a cheaper alternative to the Previa. Driving mechanics would probably be in its favor.....good for long drives.

However, the Fortuner affords more versatility being an SUV. And being more popular, it has many units on the road.....meaning, parts availability and maintenance bits may not be harder to source.

It boils down, really, to what vehicle type you favor driving. Image-conscious ka ba?....as MPVs tend to portray "family man" or "soccer mom" feel compare to SUVs that portray sporty or a more masculine appeal.

If you chose the former, you would like also consider the Carnival (it comes in diesel and have better fuel economy plus a more torquey engine).

But personally, I will chose the Fortuner---better value for the money. Whatever negative things they would say---it remains a bestseller for its segment. And there are myriad of reasons for it.

In two words, "best value".
    Last edited by Gerbo; December 5th, 2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: grammar

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by staind View Post
    my cousin had a grandis which he was so glad to have sold. ang ganda kaso lakas daw sa gas!! swerte na raw 5km/liter.
    hala! 5km/liter?? tingin ko mag fortuner ka na lang. bukod sa mas malakas sa hatak, sa height, wala kang pangamba di gaya ng grandis na parang pina lowered na innova o previa ang dating (just for me). kahit 6-7 kayo tapos full loaded pa with your cargo and bags, mataas pa rin ang height. tapos sa FC, sa pinsan ko kc 2.7 vvti din nasa 7-8km/liter pa.. ang laking tipid dba..

kung sa grandis swerte mo naka 5km/liter (sabi nung isa), sa fortuner ng pinsan ko swerte mo maka 8-9km/liter sa 2.7vvti.. ok na rin diba...

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    The BEST car for your purpose is the Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2L CRDi.

It's a monocoque space frame body 7-seater which makes it so comfortable even for a single passenger. Even fully loaded with seven people, you can still hit 200kmh. Hwy economy is around 15-20km/L (i personally did 21). City is around 8-12 with occassional high speed sprints (it's hard to resist). Angelic driving can give around 15-16km/L in the city (and if you purposely avoid traffic).

It's only a million and a half.

If you don't like Hyundai (World's fifth best selling automaker), then you can buy Mitsubishi Montero Sport.

If you are going to sell this car within two years, then get Fortuner as we still don't know the resale of the two (owners rarely dispose of theirs).

Good luck ^_^
    Last edited by Horsepower; December 8th, 2008 at 12:00 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    are you really gonna limit your picks for those 2 only? dami kasi na 7seater na mas maganda eh. pero if that's the case then
    hmm..
    for uniqueness, go for grandis
    di ko lam FC niya. lowerd and looks underpowered. good looking. nice in and out

for many purposes, i'd go for fortuner
    malaki good for baha. 8km+/l is nice for a big car. 3rd row's nice. pwede ifold 3rd row . bulky. off road ready. hindi na head turner sa dami sa kalsada which is good para iwas magnanakaw. roomy. nice ride height. tapos kung yung latest na fortuner edi maganda pwesto ng mga aircon vents niya. bad side lang is ikaw magpapalit suspension pero so far overall id chose this one over grandis

for alternatives, there's always the carens and sta fe when you want to save some money but still offers a good 7 seating arrangement. sportivo? XD

10. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    was also choosing between the 2...

I ended up with a second hand Grandis!... This car has many surprises, very refined... as in mid size car refinement!... space is abundant for 1 and 2nd row... 3rd row will have space if 2nd row will share legroom (just like fortuner)... quite fast too, it can outdrive a Fortuner / Trooper easily... speed and handling!

I got it coz it cheaper than a fortuner (2nd hand or brand new)... the only issues I have for the Grandis is resale (which doesnt matter to me, esp i got it 2nd hand)... Gas consumption is 6Km... on the high side, but tolerable on my end. My other car also does 6Kms

Driving a Van alone or as a couple, might feel weird... it is still a van... mukhang Daddy talaga (can be a pro or con... up to you)

Bottom line with my own money and if I drive...
    Brand new: Fortuner (will do the job, higher resale, will not be weird driving alone)
    2nd Hand: Grandis hands down!

But if I have a driver: Grandis brand new!

just my 2 cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
2008 grandis vs IMV fortuner 2.7 gas