New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Pros and cons naman peeps.

My wife wants the 4x4 Navara AT coz it's big and new to the market but I'm leaning a bit towards the D-Max 4x2 manual since I had fun nung nag-test drive ako.

My fear with Navara is available parts. Totoo ba na buong assembly ang palit karamihan sa parts? Second, how is the resale value of Nissan pickups? I'm planning to use it for a max of 5 years.

How about D-Max? Are the parts readily available? How's the resale value? I love the aggressive front end since the Navara looks subtle to me.

My usage will be home to Makati office with occasional weekend getaway. I explained to my wife that we don't need a 4x4 since city driving lang kami, but deep in her mind a 4x4 is IT: better nandun ang features than wala, you know what I mean. P300k++ din kasi ang difference between the two. She don't want the 4x2 Navara since mababa daw at di pwede sa baha. She hasn't seen the D-Max but I think she will not be sold to it pag nakita niya dahil mas maliit sa Navara in terms of EVERYTHING.

What will I make her convice to choose D-Max over Navara? Or shall I just go and buy Navara? (Which I love too since its new to us). And she won't be driving, I'll be doing all the driving and she wants me to drive AT para di raw ako mapagod sa traffic sa Makati.

BTW, I'm gonna test drive the new Hilux but I think she's not into Toyota. We both agree Strada is too car looking for us. We love our pickups in "box" shape. And Ranger is out of the equation.

Let me know your opinions since I'm buying in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    navara kna...hehehe 6speed greater torque n horsepower compared to dmax na facelift lng... for me yaw ko tlga dmax n d isuzu hehe maingay un makina and un vibration s loob rinig n rinig n ramdam mo un vibration. both naman are crdi engine pero shmpre mas mgiging fuel efficient ang navara kc 6 speed , d magiging pilit ang makina sa prefered gears...and lastly un navarra mas masculine tgnan bwahahaha...opinion ko lang yan hehe

3. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Salamat!

I forgot to ask: yung manual na D-Max, ang kambyo nanginginig in driving at idle, is this typical sa diesel? Never had a diesel vehicle before much more a pickup. I never tested a manual na Navara so I can't stay na it vibrates also. Wala kasing test unit sa Navara na 6 speed.

Kelan ba nag-facelift ang D-Max?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    among the two, i would prefer the Navara.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    City-driven pick-up...i honestly believe that you will be better served with the Strada. Pinakamagandang ride sa mga pick up. Di bone-jarring. Normal lang kasi sa pick up na matagtag dahil leaf spring suspension.

4x4 application is really not needed in Manila traffic. And the 4x4s are also heavier than their 4x2 brethren. May affect fuel consumption.

Ganito na lang siguro:
    -if you are looking for features inherent in a pick-up (torquey engine, high stance, etc) the Trekker is actually good because its feature-packed: eg. ABS, LSD. But a lot of people is turned off by the low resale of Ford vehicles.
    -Isuzu diesels affords one of the highest resale values around. From where I lived, mabenta ang Dmax LS 4x2 (the Strada is the other one). Matibay ang makina ng Isuzu with just right combination of power and economy.
    -for good measure Toyota just rolled out the 4x2 G diesel variant in a 4x4 stance. Just check na lang kasi bago pa ito. Para covered lahat sa decision-making nyo.

4x2 Strada GLX - P 908,000 (MT) No AT 4x2 variant. Its the cheapest 4x2 around.
    4x2 Hilux -P 1,047,000 (MT) No AT either.

With a lot of flyovers and spiral parkways in MM, masakit din sa tuhod i-drive ang MT esp. mabibigat ang pick-up.

So I think 4x2 AT is the best combination.

4x2 Navara - P 1,076,000 (AT)

4x2 Dmax LS -P 1,075,000 (AT)
    4x2 Trekker -P 1,036,000 (AT)

Of the three, the Navara has the lowest stance.
    Of the three, the Trekker has the best features mechanics-wise.
    Of the three, the Dmax is dimension-wise the smallest but it has the best fuel economy despite it is also the only 4x2 fitted with a 3.0L engine displacement (the rest are 2.5L for the 4x2 variants).

So what factor(s) is/are important you to come out with a choice?

HTH.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Navara's fuel economy, IMHO, may probably be a good match for the D-Max. Even the "high horse" 170 hp version is fuel efficient.

If you're going for an off-roadable 4x4, the Ranger has the best performance there is. Most powerful engine-transmission combo (whatever the numbers say... the Ford's torque and gearbox conquers all), great off-road abilities and supreme on-road handling. Even the 2.5 has a lot of pep and power, and with the standard LSD, the 4x2 can even take some light off-roading. The ride is stiff, but it's not as bad as the Fortuner or the Everest (strangely).

If you're going for a city-only car, the Strada is the most comfortable, and it's the only pick-up in the class to score as well as a sedan in crash tests, thanks to its modern body. Only gripe is the tiny bed.

If you're going for a mix of the two, the Navara has either the second-best or the best ride in the class (depending on who you ask), has a crackling good engine, and has handling that is either nearly as good as or better than the Ranger's (depending on the road and conditions).

Just decide what your priorities are and choose accordingly... good luck!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Navara's fuel economy, IMHO, may probably be a good match for the D-Max. Even the "high horse" 170 hp version is fuel efficient.

If you're going for an off-roadable 4x4, the Ranger has the best performance there is. Most powerful engine-transmission combo (whatever the numbers say... the Ford's torque and gearbox conquers all), great off-road abilities and supreme on-road handling. Even the 2.5 has a lot of pep and power, and with the standard LSD, the 4x2 can even take some light off-roading. The ride is stiff, but it's not as bad as the Fortuner or the Everest (strangely).

If you're going for a city-only car, the Strada is the most comfortable, and it's the only pick-up in the class to score as well as a sedan in crash tests, thanks to its modern body. Only gripe is the tiny bed.

If you're going for a mix of the two, the Navara has either the second-best or the best ride in the class (depending on who you ask), has a crackling good engine, and has handling that is either nearly as good as or better than the Ranger's (depending on the road and conditions).

Just decide what your priorities are and choose accordingly... good luck!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Navara 4x4 pa rin leading. But I'm seriously thinking about Ford Trekker after what Niky said.

I'll give it a test ride.

2008 D-Max vs 2008 Navara