New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Hi fellow tsikoteers!

Need help ASAP, currently shortlisted some of my top pics...which SUV is better?

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I do not know about you...but I found the fit and form of the Xtrail a bit weird. One review called it silly.

This, and the low fuel economy and higher price tag turns me off on the Nissan.

Compare it to the Tucson, you have a choice of the diesel or the gas. I assume you are looking for the 2WD version. Both are priced lower than the Xtrail with the CRDI diesel version having a good power band and much more economical.

From what I observed, quite a few of Xtrail owners from where I lived are now disposing their units while those that bought the Tucsons early on (not the spec-up version) are still even holding on. Pretty much says that Nissan owners are not quite satisfied with the Xtrail's performance.

For me, Tucson is better vehicle esp. the CRDI option.
    Last edited by Gerbo; February 1st, 2009 at 01:01 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gerbo, thanks for the post.

Does your review include commendations for the 2.0 CVVYT A/T version of the Tuc? I had considered matching it up with the Xtrail due to the recent attractive mark-downs on the Xty.

Given more budget I would really like to go with the CRDI version of the Tuc but my budget limits me to the CVVT version.

My dad thought the tuc looks more macho than the classic xty especially the black euro-look. I really think you have a similar taste

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    in terms of looks, i like the Tucson more. Tapos CRDi pa.... Ang magiging problem lang dito is long term maintenance.

Space wise, mas malaki ang interiors ng Xtrail.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Given more budget I would really like to go with the CRDI version of the Tuc but my budget limits me to the CVVT version.
    In short, you are looking for a "budget" gas-fed CUV. For a price of about 1M give a few or more bucks, the choice would boil down to the CVVT 2.0 Tucson and the 2.3 Ford Escape XLS.

And between the two, I will choose the Escape.

But you know what? If I were to consider a "bang for the buck" deal for some kind of money and still achieved my "want" in a gas-fed CUV, I will honestly look for the "most fresh" 1.8L gen2 RAV4 I could find for half the intended amount (approx. 500-600 thousand).

But for brand new, unless you can afford the latest gen CRV, Ford is my next choice.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    wla na po ung cvvt na tucson sir. puro crdi 4x2 and 4x4 nalang po

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    lui,

Im quite worried about your post. I have seriously considered buying the gas fed tucson or the escape as Gerbo has suggested. How come some hyundai branches still market the CVVT? Has the CVVT been phased-out in the Phils? I'm about to give a final pick on my purchase tomorrow. Would appreciate your reply the soonest.

Gerbo,

Thanks for the great post. Im quite restricted to buy a brand new vehicle in accordance with our company's car plan ruling. I had thought of buying a second hand RAV 4 but I really can't. Your post made me thought twice if the purchase of a CVVT Tucson is worth it though....On the FC comparison, I heard the Escape is really a gas guzzler compared to the Tuc....any validations?

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Ah that sucks. The Tucson CVVT is such a sweet spot in the market since its less than a million and now they are taking it away. Hey lui, do you know the reason why?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    If its true, then the only sub-1M gas-fed CUV out there is the Cherry Tiggo.

On the FC comparison, I heard the Escape is really a gas guzzler compared to the Tuc....any validations?
    Guzzler in the SUV range is very relative. If you're benchmark is then 10 km/L for car fuel economy it would better to reconsider getting an SUV. In other words, if you're getting these types of vehicle, prepare to stomach its maintenance cost including fuel.

That said, the 6-7 km/L is usually in heavy traffic/ city driving, stop-and-go thoroughfares. If you live outside Metro Manila, the gas consumption of the Escape is quite bearable.

At near 1M price, you're limited to the following (aside from the Escape)
    -Innova, Grand Livina, and Fuzion (but all are MPVs)
    -Sportivo (the MPV cum pseudo-SUV but its its diesel)

As it is the Escape is really a BETTER buy for the PRICE.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    We have considered the MPVs at first but an SUV still looks more macho compared to the family cars. The livina was once our top pick because of the fuel economy it promotes, but we feel we'll be too cramped inside it...

Going back to the escape vs. tucson discussion, I have also heared that the escape shall be having a serious facelifting soon. Sooner that the arrival of the Tucson 2010 here in the Phils. It would be a huge turn-off to buy the escape now if that is the case...

Now hours before the actual purchase, I would really want to hear from Lui about his shocking press release.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
2008 2.0 A/T Nissan Xtrail vs. 2009 2.0 A/T Hyundai Tucson