New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Hi guys....

I will greatly appreaciate your advice regarding what to vehicle to buy:

Drivers Profile:

1. Drives for family on weekend: wife 2 kids and 2 yayas.
    2. Most of the time drives alone to work.
    3. Drives through three highways almost daily (Marcos hiway, c5, SSH)
    4. Lives in Antipolo works in Laguna.
    5. Needs vehicle presentable enough to clients.
    6. No employed driver, drives the car himself.
    7. Lives in a townhouse with small garage.
    8. Average mileage on present car: 20,000 km per year.

I am torn between a CRV (because its small and presentable) and Ford Everest (Diesel, seems practical, bigger passenger space).

Concerns with CRV: The waiting period for delivery (3-4 months for the AT), gas only (has the reputation of gas guzzler); Concerns with the Everest: Two long - 5.0 meters may not fit the apartment's garage; seems not manueverable, not pogi unlike the new CRV.

As of now: i may get the Everest....

Again, my fondest gratitude to those who will share their views...

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    sa wife, 2 kids n 2 yayas pa lang dehado na CRV...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Not enough space in the CR-V for all those people.

As for the fuel consumption, the new CR-V 2.0 is supposedly much better than before, but it's still a gasoline vehicle.

The Everest won't be very fuel efficient, either. It's a heavy truck. I expect you'll get just 8-10 km/l on your daily route (maybe 12 if you drive nicely). But that's in diesel, which is much cheaper than gas. It drives about as well as the Fortuner with a slightly better ride and a much better engine (2.5 vs 2.5). Downside is the poor legroom in the third row.

For your use, you may want to consider the Innova, the Carens, the Carnival (!!!) and the Starex. But you might like the Carnival best. Good, powerful engine, tons of space.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    tama si niky in terms of everest, poor legroom in the 3rd row. diesel kaya cheap paren, im not sure with crv cause im currently fond of western brands hehe. mahaba din siya, un din kse practisan ko kaya mejo mahirap siyang iliko, but im challenged - lalo na ng nabangga saka mejo mabigat dalhen. if ever you want to get a huge discount, check ford libis-they give the best offer in town. goodluck in choosing ;)

btw, first post hi to all

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I've seen the new ford everest 4x2 m/t at ford q.ave. and i'm really impressed for its interior (good color scheme). Diesel. We might be buying this ride next september. lol.

Everest gets my vote.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    CRV. Sir why not consider the Escape? It's front looks like the Everest's na. Parang junior Everest dating.

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    Given your requirements, I think the CR-V is out of the picture. I don't think the new model has more than 5 seats like the 2002 CR-V.

I have the 8-seater 2002 CR-V and it's a bit of a disappointment. The 2.0-liter engine is such a slow poke and the third row seats are next to useless. The consumption is 6.8 km/liter and that's a bit too much for a slow car if you ask me. That's about P7,000 to P9,000 per month based on your usage estimates.

But my question is.. why an Everest? It looks like a Ranger pick-up with a camper shell.. much like an Alterra is to a D-Max. I think the design team for both UVs were uninspired and failed to grasp the concept of what an SUV should look like. I still don't consider them SUVs in my book. Tapos, the Everest really looks like it came from the 1980s with its flat-panel sidings and design lines that seem to stop abruptly on the corners.

Try to question your priorities. Functionality ba first before porma? Economy ba? pang image ba? pang hatid ba ng wifey sa driveway ng Shangrila / Manila Pen?

For me, functionality should be first but not to a point that I have to compromise the looks. After all, I do see it every day. If it looks like a nerd, then I won't be inspired to start my day right.

I have to agree with one of the earlier comments made. If it's functionality without compromising looks, consider the Kia Sedona. It has an american mini van look close to the Chrysler Caravan. It has room for 8, looks internationally acceptable, diesel or V6, price range is affordable, and 5-star safety rating - which is quite important if you have kids.

BTW there are no safety crash test records available for the Everest since it's only found in South-east asian countries.

If you can stretch the mile, get the Fortuner. 200k lang ata ang difference, but definitely a good marriage between functionality and looks. I bought one and no regrets. The brakes are still kind of weak though.

Anyway, happy shopping. Cheers!

8. Join Date
    May 2004
    I'd pick the Everest

2007 CRV 4x2 2.0  AT vs. 2007 Ford Everest 4x2 2.5 AT