New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    been eyeing a sorento for my 'upgrade' but the other day i saw a relatively 'cheap' 05 explorer xlt (800+) and got tempted. what are your thoughts between the two? i'm not taking it off-road or anything, nor do i need a really big car. i'm just upgrading from my current sedan coz its the same coding day as my other car and i definitely need some extra space. family of four w/ occasional lola or tita riding on occasional out-of-town trips. TIA for your advice

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    The practical me says the Sorento CRDi. The Explorer is a gas guzzler and you might regret that...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wulf View Post
    been eyeing a sorento for my 'upgrade' but the other day i saw a relatively 'cheap' 05 explorer xlt (800+) and got tempted. what are your thoughts between the two? i'm not taking it off-road or anything, nor do i need a really big car. i'm just upgrading from my current sedan coz its the same coding day as my other car and i definitely need some extra space. family of four w/ occasional lola or tita riding on occasional out-of-town trips. TIA for your advice

dude, get the explorer. di naman yan ganon ka lakas sa gas.

before we hesitate to own a v8 powered ford because of the saying its "gas-guzzler" pero when we own one, hindi naman pala ganon. its how you drive, not what you drive.

explorer is more luxurious and elegant IMO.

get the ford.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    sorento CRDI, diesel prices going down, imho lang pare...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sorrento....the XLT consumes an average of 3-4 kpl.
    Tumataas pa gas ngayon. and it will not go lower. Maglalaro lang yan to at most 30 pesos/liter.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Is there an 04-05 Sorento?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks for the opinions peeps! i really prefer the sorento crdi sana, na tempt lang ako 'coz of the explorer's price...

1d4lv, is the 3-4 from experience? i was hoping for 5-6 w/ non-heavy foot driving....

*memphis, yup, the sorento models were introduced here 04 yata, gas version. 05 was the start of the crdi version if i'm not mistaken

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Sorento CRDI.

Diesel power & economy.
    Plenty of parts (and cheap too).

Ford parts are expensive and rare. However, fellow tsikoteers might be able to help you to source those.

Try getting stuck in traffic driving an Explorer and see if you can get more than 2km/L.

With Diesel however, that usually doesn't change. Its economy exponentially improves on long drives. With a petrol engine that big however, good luck.

Overall, better ownership with the Sorento.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wulf View Post
    thanks for the opinions peeps! i really prefer the sorento crdi sana, na tempt lang ako 'coz of the explorer's price...

1d4lv, is the 3-4 from experience? i was hoping for 5-6 w/ non-heavy foot driving....

*memphis, yup, the sorento models were introduced here 04 yata, gas version. 05 was the start of the crdi version if i'm not mistaken
    yes, but of a friend's XLT who owned one. in fact, one time, from QC going to tagaytay, nakaubos kami ng full tank. kasama na traffic dun. tama si horsepower, pag traffic, kitang kita mo bumababa yung fuel gauge, i think it really consumes around 2 kpl during heavy traffic.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    And that also explains why the 2nd hand price of an Explorer is right around that of a Sorento even though the Sorento is cheaper brand new...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
2005 Ford Explorer XLT or 04-05 Kia Sorento