New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    My father is contemplating to a buy a second hand midsize SUV at a budget around 350k. With the said budget, we are narrowed down with the following choice, 2004 Toyota RAV4 vs. 2008/2009 Ford Escape. Both are automatic. No particular choice pagdating sa engine at kung 4x4 or 4x2. Mileage of both around 80-110km. Question is, which one would be the better choice in terms:
    1) Fuel Consumption
    2) Ride Comfort
    3) Power
    4) Reliability and serviceablity

Note: We did not consider Honda CRV and Nissan Xtrail since ayaw ng father ko sa porma nila.

Thank you and God Bless po.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeh View Post
    My father is contemplating to a buy a second hand midsize SUV at a budget around 350k. With the said budget, we are narrowed down with the following choice, 2004 Toyota RAV4 vs. 2008/2009 Ford Escape. Both are automatic. No particular choice pagdating sa engine at kung 4x4 or 4x2. Mileage of both around 80-110km. Question is, which one would be the better choice in terms:
    1) Fuel Consumption
    2) Ride Comfort
    3) Power
    4) Reliability and serviceablity

Note: We did not consider Honda CRV and Nissan Xtrail since ayaw ng father ko sa porma nila.

Thank you and God Bless po.
    Rav4 has very high resale value, and so you'd be getting a much older unit as compared to the Escape.

If you are concerned with FC and are only choosing between these two, get the Rav4 1.8L 4x2 M/T. Top of the line 2.0L Rav4 has full time AWD and an A/T, so fuel efficiency is out the window. Only the earliest 2.0L Escapes have the manual variant. Later ones all had the 2.3L A/T. I get 4km/L city with it.

Haven't ridden on a Rav4, but we had a 2003 Escape before and currently have a 2006 Tribute. Ride quality is fine... Very stable in high speeds, though a tad bouncy for one with midsize sedan standards... But then my habit of always inflating tires to 35psi probably contributed to that too.

Escape has the biggest engine and the most number of horses on paper at 157hp. It's heavy though, so acceleration won't really ignite your loins. Big improvement with the A/C off though.

If you read threads dedicated to a single car model, you'd see that every car has its own sakit, bestsellers included. The Escape/Tribute has one of the coldest A/C systems I've ever come across, but it is also prone to failure (I've replaced pretty much all of it) and difficult to service (many parts require disassembling the dash to access). Body and suspension though, are very very sturdy. Parts are not hard to find, what with being locally available in the same basic form for ten years or so.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk