New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    hey tsikoteers! I just want to ask your two cents on this.

My family is thinking of getting an extra car and our choices are the camry and xtrail.
    currently we have the new 2014 forester 2.0 non turbo and 90 mb 260e but currently
    selling the latter.

any comments, insights etc are welcome.
    tia!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think the fuel consumption might not be much different if you look for a Camry 2.4 or Xtrail 250X; these will give you better power to boot. Why are those two your choices?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    My grandfather has a 2004 Camry 2.0E. I think it performs just about same as the 2.0G except that the latter is loaded with features. Bulletproof ride. Almost maintenance free. Of the 9 years of ownership, only the aux fan and the AC evaporator broke. Almost faultless ride and very comfy.

But as for me, I prefer the Accord of same era, though.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails .jpg  

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    As with vinj, curious as to why those are your choices.

Anyhow, I'm a 2002 Camry 2.0G owner (Gen 5 Camry, pre-facelift, which is, I believe the same as the 2004 model). It's heavy, but solid. Shocks are usually the first to go (got replaced under warranty pa nga eh). Aux fan motor was replaced 2 years back. I believe the evaporator was replaced recently. That's about it. It's pretty go-anywhere, despite being a sedan. There's a lot of room in there - cargo or personnel room. If you need a sedan to replace the MB, this is it.

I agree with Basti. The Accord came a tad later than the Camry, IIRC, and had more bells and whistles. Another solid choice for a sedan. Had they been out at the same time, I might not have been a Camry owner. Hehehe!

I'm not dissing the X-trail. I've only had the chance to drive a 2.0L once though, and it was more spritely than my Camry. I don't think ownership is a headache as well, but I don't have enough info.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    My vote goes to the Camry. I drive one and I love it. It is also the car that requires the least maintenance from what we have. If you want something a bit sportier, then the accord is the way to go.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If going for the 7th gen Accord (2003-2007), look for the 2.4L model as it offers better FC over the 2.0L model. The Xtrail is a solid choice if you want the extra space on the back for hauling stuff. Looking for a sporty midsizer, the 2006-2008 Mazda6 2.3L will be a good choice. If you want something with better FC from a compact sedan with decent space, maybe the 1.8L Civic FD will do. If you want a comfortable ride but on a lower budget, you can try looking for an A33 Cefiro (2003-2006) as its selling price is way lower than its counterparts.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    If going for the 7th gen Accord (2003-2007), look for the 2.4L model as it offers better FC over the 2.0L model. The Xtrail is a solid choice if you want the extra space on the back for hauling stuff. Looking for a sporty midsizer, the 2006-2008 Mazda6 2.3L will be a good choice. If you want something with better FC from a compact sedan with decent space, maybe the 1.8L Civic FD will do. If you want a comfortable ride but on a lower budget, you can try looking for an A33 Cefiro (2003-2006) as its selling price is way lower than its counterparts.
    Is it really? I have had a chance to drive a 2005 Camry 2.4V. I don't feel like it is peppier than the 2.0L. Actually, I'm kind of surprised that the 2.0L Camry performs the way it does. It feels much smaller for its size UPON acceleration (handling is different story, although not bad either). I feel that the extra displacement went to good use in highway passing, where the 4AT doesn't require much downshifting to dial faster speed, or even passing. Our 2.0L downshifts in a jiffy when it lacks the torque for passing. Saka pakiramdam ko same lang FC. Mas mura pa i-register yung 2.0L haha

LOL!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    I think the fuel consumption might not be much different if you look for a Camry 2.4 or Xtrail 250X; these will give you better power to boot. Why are those two your choices?
    We've always liked this 2 kaso walang chance before.
    From what i've read FC of 2.0 variants on both cars range from 7-9 sa city.. In 250x or 2.4v kaya?
    Thanks!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    My grandfather has a 2004 Camry 2.0E. I think it performs just about same as the 2.0G except that the latter is loaded with features. Bulletproof ride. Almost maintenance free. Of the 9 years of ownership, only the aux fan and the AC evaporator broke. Almost faultless ride and very comfy.

But as for me, I prefer the Accord of same era, though.
    Ive already owned a 6th gen accord so iba naman sana..
    Thanks sa input sir.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Camry!

I've always liked the Camry, but sad to say, way back 2010, kulang pambili (by almost half!) namin so sa Vios kami bumagsak! .......
    Last edited by lowslowbenz; October 7th, 2013 at 04:08 PM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast