• Lancer

2 22.22%
  • Altis

4 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2007
    hi, i'm looking for a second-hand sedan with models between year 2004-05. can you guys share some insight about which make is the best?

pretty general question, but feel free to add comments or features analysis (handling, suspension, fuel economy, resale value, interior and exterior design, etc.)

thanks!

by the way, don't forget to vote (please select two choices at the most).

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I would go for the Altis because it is the most practical among your choices, I've heard horror stories about the Lynx, the Civic is more expensive to maintain than the others, as for the Lancer, I never really had good experience with Mitsubishis lately

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Mitsu...since 2nd hand bili mo...more bang for the buck.
    I have the 04-05 model. No complaints so far. Ok pa ang casa, wala masyadong pila.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ronw123w124 View Post
    I would go for the Altis because it is the most practical among your choices, I've heard horror stories about the Lynx, the Civic is more expensive to maintain than the others, as for the Lancer, I never really had good experience with Mitsubishis lately
    looks like we have similar observations, tho clueless ako about lynx.

Quote Originally Posted by istan View Post
    Mitsu...since 2nd hand bili mo...more bang for the buck.
    I have the 04-05 model. No complaints so far. Ok pa ang casa, wala masyadong pila.
    i had a lancer 97 back then. major reklamo ko lang talaga ay kalampag. nag-improve na ba mitsu on that end?

thanks nga pala sa feedback more from others please...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Lynx "horror" stories are regarding the inability of the sensors to cope with in-bay engine heat. The Cam Position Sensor (CMP), in particular, conks out easily at around 40-60,000 kilometers. Lots of clubmates have had these replaced. They're not that expensive, at under 5k.

Some other cars with the same generation of engine are now nearing the age of the earliest Lynxes, and are developing similar problems...

This mainly affected first generation Lynxes. Later models have redesigned sensors which withstand heat better... so far, no horror stories about the 04-05 run. What might be of issue in the long run is dirty idle controllers and MAFs, a problem that also affects Sentras and Mitsubishis.

The Altis engine has no problems that I've heard of, so far. There was a recall for previous generation Civics for a similar cam position sensor (or something of the sort) issue, but I think it's covered under warranty.

-----

Other problems all involve suspension on various makes, but no Japanese compact is immune to this, given our roads (not even the invincible Corolla... I've seen some Altises needing new shocks). Stiffer cars, like the Lynx, will wear out their bushings faster. Softer cars, like the Sentra or Civic, will wear out their shocks faster. It all depends on what you want. You might want to look at prices for common parts such as bushings and tie-rod ends if suspension issues are a worry for you.

-----

Handling amongst 04-05 cars goes to the Lynx, definitely. It has a good balance of firm ride, sporty handling and good bump suppression. The Lancer is a bit more supple. The Sentra is just way too soft.

The Civic is softer than previous Civics, and I don't really like its shock tuning. The Corolla, strangely, feels like my Lynx. It's somewhat firm, but has a little less rebound control. It makes for good handling, but it's not as involving as driving a Lynx due to dull steering feel.

-----

Fuel economy: basically, if you're considering an AT, you're shafted with the Ford. The MT is somewhat better, though. (heck, if fuel economy's an issue with the LYnx, buy an RS) I can't comment on the Nissan and Mitsubishi, but from previous experience, they're about average. The older GA series engine on the Sentra would start guzzling due to dirty MAF sensors as they got older, but the 04-05 Sentras have the newer, presumably more efficient, QG engines. The Civic has always had good economy with its MTs, I can't comment whether the AT in this generation is as bad, fuel wise, as previous ATs. The Corolla gets top marks for fuel economy, whether AT or MT.

-----

Interior design: Most of these cars are pretty big inside, though the Lancer is kinda small in this company. The Sentra and Lynx are decently large, even compared to the super-spacious Corolla.

In terms of design, though, I think it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

-----

Exterior design? I prefer the Lynx or Civic... but that's personal.

-----

Resale value is the big question. The Corolla Altis has a ridiculously high resale value, simply because it's still a current model, and because of its fuel efficiency. Not to mention the fact that everyone and his grandfather thinks the Corolla is the best thing since sliced bread!

But truthfully, buying a Corolla secondhand is painless. You'll have to search very hard, though, to find a good deal.

The Civic, likewise, has good resale, but in this case you're paying extra for the engine technology.

The Lancer, Lynx and Sentra have average to below average resale values. Yes, owning these cars is not as painless as owning a Corolla, BUT: the price difference will cover just about any maintenance issues you may have over the next two or three years. I know owners for these cars who've had no problems over the long haul, thanks to diligent preventive maintenance.

If you're talking about resale value with an eye towards selling the vehicle in the future... well, that's hard to predict. The Civic's value should fall simply because the new one is out, and is so much better... but Civics traditionally have terrific resale value (compared to Corollas) because of the "bulletproof" reputation of their engines. Whether this holds true for the new one, we won't know for a while.

The Corolla's value is bound to drop sharply when the new one comes in, as long as the new Corolla isn't too expensive. (You can get older Corollas within the same price range as concurrent competitors). If you're keeping the car for three years, don't expect a windfall in resale money when you sell it.

The resale value of the Lynx, Lancer and Sentra depend on the future fortunes of their respective companies.

The Lynx has already been replaced, and secondhand values are low. But that means, of course, that you can buy a fully-loaded one for the same price as you'd spend for a bottom-of-the-barrel Corolla. And parts aren't as hard as 323 and Lynx parts used to be. There are many Banaue shops now specializing in Mazda/Ford parts, and prices are comparable to other Japanese brands.

The Sentra and Lancer, I'm not familiar with anymore. Old designs, and two generations behind the Lynx and Civic... and they're still selling even after the other two have been superseded. This is good in terms of buying, as it means there are lots of parts out there. But don't expect to sell them for a profit, either.
    Last edited by niky; May 24th, 2007 at 02:17 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    kahit alin dyan wag lang sentra and lancer...those two are sooo old....

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Altis na lang

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    For the 2004 - 05 model (Referring to the Merc like hood), No kalampags so far after 3 years.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    i'll go for altis. very reliable car and fuel efficient in its category.

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by istan View Post
    For the 2004 - 05 model (Referring to the Merc like hood), No kalampags so far after 3 years.
    that's good to hear. nga lang pasensya na po, di ko na kasi masyado type yung look nung models after 97. back then ang daming nagde-dress up, ngayon parang alanganin na.

thanks for the insights guys, especially to niky for the in-depth review (buti na lang mabilis ka mag-type)

got any ideas when a new altis model comes out? kung sakali baka hintayin ko yun para bagsak presyo older models, hihi

trimmed down na choices ko to either a civic or altis...

no first-hand experience ako sa altis, pero with the civic '03 and the latest one, meron (my sister's). maganda fuel economy ko dun (read: di ako nagpapa-gas nun e, hehe). pero i gather that the '06 is really very efficient, even with my AT experience.

now, i'm feeling inclined to the civic, lest i be swayed to toyota... hmmm...

you guys are great! thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
2004-05 Lynx vs Civic vs Lancer vs Altis