New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Hi everyone,

It's actually my first time to post here in tsikot and I've been reading here in the forums for quite a while now.

My question is what do you think would be better between the two cars I've mentioned in general? Since my dad is planning to buy me a car in the near future.

A Toyota Camry 2003-2005 model or Honda Civic 2006-2008?

Thank you in advance for all those who would reply in the thread!

Cheers!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Your dad is buying it... but who's maintaining it?

If you are, and you can afford the extra running costs, go ahead and get the Camry... it's a roomier and more comfortable car. But be warned... some of the parts costs are shocking.

If you are paying, and you're on a budget, or if your dad is paying for maintenance... go for the smaller car. Some new Civic parts are pretty expensive, but there are aftermarket alternatives that are well-priced. The Civic is also well suited to a younger driver... sportier, more "maporma". The seats are very uncomfortable if you're older or kinda heavy, though...

Another thing... if this is your first car, you might want something smaller and cheaper... something that's not heartbreakingly expensive to repair after a small ding or scrape in traffic... basically... a disposable car. Once you're confident of your driving, go ahead and upgrade to a higher-end model.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    ^ I'm the one who's going to mantain the car and it's my first car.

Thank you very much for the suggestions that I could look into before choosing on the car. We also checked on the 2009 Honda City, but I prefer driving a bigger car. Thanks once again!

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Good luck, then. Don't cross other cars off your list, though... you can look at secondhand Mazda3 2.0Rs... they look good, have a better ride and better seats than the Civic, and come with the all-important sunroof... ...replacement parts, as with the Civic, can be pricey, but not unreasonably so.

Only negative for the 2.0R is the 4-speed AT (not as good as the Civic's 5-speed) and the cramped rear seat... but the front is very roomy and comfortable.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Hehe thanks, my dad doesn't want Mazda much, not sure why though. Anyway, will put into consideration the once you've mentioned and will talk to my dad about it. I didn't look much into the car maintenance before you've mentioned it, so I'll probably look into it also before we decide.

If there are other people who could give in their two cents, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Its really hard to tell what car would be best for you. Plenty of factors are involved. But bottom line is the car user himself. Obviously the difference between the 2 cars are very pronounced. Size. Engine. Space. Its too subjective to even start recommending which car would best suit you. Primarily you have to know what you yourself want. If you feel you like driving a bigger car then the Camry is it. Practicality wise, the Civic would do the job of the Camry as well. It boils down to your own preference.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Congrats on your upcoming car..swerte ka to be given one hehe.. camry mas mukang pang chauffer driven, and since its your own mas bagay siguro sa iyo civic..

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    We own both, both cars are very solid.

The camry is definitely bulkier and beefier (with the nice engine grunt to boot), while the civic feels peppy and nimble.

We solved the bad seats problem (yes, they ARE rock hard) with a 5.5k leatherette seat cover.

Interior space isn't bad especially if only 4 people are seated (will seat 5 people due partially to the flat floor). Camry namin may hump pa sa gitna, but that's partially offset because the camry is so roomy.

The camry absorbs most little potholes while the civic makes you feel all of them. In this aspect, the camry is pretty 'floaty' in comparison while the civic can be a bit harsh (I'd prefer something in between though).

FC of our Camry (2.4V) is around 7-8KM/L. For the Civic, 7.5-8.5. Pure City (Metro Manila) driving, but with varied routes so this may not be accurate.

Personally, having driven both, I prefer driving the civic because the camry feels so... detached.

My vote - civic. Hope this helps.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    also if you also consider residual value when the time comes to sell the car in a few years time. larger displacement cars such as the accord and camry will suffer slightly greater depreciation than its eqivalent civic or corolla.

then again both your choices have their own strengths and weaknesses it's just a matter which appeals to you more. both are good solid cars.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    If you are a college kid, my vote goes to the Civic.

If you are young professional and has the means, the Camry is a nice spacious car.

Still single? Beware! Midsize sedans like the Accord, Mazda 6, Teana, and Camry has "dad" connotation emblazoned over it.

2003-2005 Toyota Camry OR 2006-2008 Honda Civic?