New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    ako rin patrol...iba pa rin dating hehehe....totoong SUV nga di lang Asian SUV hehehe...pilit pa rin ang fortuner although maganda nga pero iba talaga ang recognized worldwide....pag naging ganoon na ang fortuner I'll think again....pero maganda sana nga 2003 model para masfresh hehehe

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hehehe...Patrol is a legend already. Nasa hanay na iyan ng Land Cruiser, Trooper, and Pajero among others na recognized worldwide for superior comfort, reliability, and toughness in any given weather or terrain.

The Fortuner still has to prove itself. But as it is, the Fortuner is far from being a bad buy.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    hmmm, its still a toss up for me

size is not really an issue. i used to drive a 1995 land cruiser VX (local version) so okay lang.

as for the waiting time for the fortuner, it is not an issue either. i am no. 1 in the reservation list for the 2.7L for my dealer. however, what has been disconcerting for me is that until now wala pa ang unit and my agent cannot even commit to a delivery by july. then, i discovered that may mga nakasingit sa akin and they got their 2.7L ahead of me. eh, pareho lang naman ang terms, i.e. i was willing to get the dealer's IHF and IHI and at 50% DP and one year to pay. i was willing to pay cash but then i would not get the priority.

but the real eye openers for me were the fuel consumption and resale value after 3 years for both vehicles. imagine, a 2001 vehicle has almost the same resale value of a 2005 vehicle!

anyway, if and when i do get to choose the patrol over the fortuner, then i am willing to give my slot to any tsikoteer here

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    you're comparing a brand new vehicle vs. a 2nd hand vehicle. If I remember correctly, the Patrol before was more exprensive than a current brand new D4D fortuner. So they are not on the same category.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    patrol still because of the reliability n toughness. matibay talaga pangilalim nyan. fortuner, baka patay na ako, wala yung unit. toyota is having a field screening out all the ppl who they want to give units to. would you believe they'd rather give the fortuner to someone who avails of their in house financing than sum1 who would pay for cash. double kita nila. i hope lahat ng tao na nagreserve, bawiin para maiipit sila.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Patrol in 2001 cost around 1.7-1.8M if memory serves me right... The nice thing about second hand is that you don't take a hit of the initial depreciation as aforementioned. I assume the 2.7L gas Fortuner will also depreciate faster then the diesel version (1.2M this year; a year from now i think it can go down to 1M more or less depending on how TMPI meets the demand).

Try to play it by ear, a lot will also depend on the condition of the Patrol that you find (try to get a '02 - '03 version if possible).

7. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by andre
    you're comparing a brand new vehicle vs. a 2nd hand vehicle. If I remember correctly, the Patrol before was more exprensive than a current brand new D4D fortuner. So they are not on the same category.
    i believe the point of comparison is fair though perhaps not 100% accurate

the question really is:

if i have PHP1.3M and i want to buy a 7 seater, three row 2000 and up model SUV that will be good for the next 3 years, what will i buy?

AND, after 3 years, which one will give me a good resale value?

i am also inputting maintenance cost. as for the brand new 2.7L fortuner, there is still a cost every time you bring this to the casa for its checkup but the warranties indeed make a brand new car attractive. but for a second hand car, depending on the condition, maintenance cost can be manageable also. sir boybi can attest to the ruggedness and relative "maintenance headache free" of the patrol. i am also very very concerned with the fuel consumption of the 2.7L fortuner. gas prices are unlikely to go down but diesel, being socially sensitive, will be kept in check for some time.

of course, if i compare the 2nd hand patrol and a brand new D4D, the D4D fortuner wins hands down. but the price is out my range or rather, i dont believe in committing more money for this. the problem with brand new cars is that once it leaves the showroom, it is depreciated in value by almost 30% already

i am still at the crossroads now and still soliciting some feedbacks

8. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KCboy
    patrol still because of the reliability n toughness. matibay talaga pangilalim nyan. fortuner, baka patay na ako, wala yung unit. toyota is having a field screening out all the ppl who they want to give units to. would you believe they'd rather give the fortuner to someone who avails of their in house financing than sum1 who would pay for cash. double kita nila. i hope lahat ng tao na nagreserve, bawiin para maiipit sila.
    tama ka dyan. ako nga approved na sa toyota IHF but still no unit. however, instead of bitching too much (i am still bitching a little though ), the delay plus developments in the fuel market has allowed me to step back and rethink the whole matter. perhaps all this delay is telling me something, hehehehe

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Boybi,
    yung sa bayaw ko kasi nasira ang Turbo also yung friend ng friend ko rin turbo din ang problema, 90K daw ang Turbo at walang surplus ito...

depende na rin siguro sa Patrol kung sariwa pa o hindi...pero dahil brand new ang Fortuner sa Fortuner ako...yun nga lang matagal ang hintay...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kimpOy, baka naman hindi sila nag-cool down ng turbo after driving fast?
    Signature

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
2001 Nissan Patrol GU or 2005 Fortuner G?