New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Just wanted to know your thoughts if one would make a choice between these two...

More power to all Tsikoteers!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Just wanted to know your thoughts if one would make a choice between these two...

More power to all Tsikoteers!

P.S. Hey! I made a mistake in posting this topic in the other thread category. Hope the administrators can delete my other thread...
    Again sorry for that mistake.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If the Benz is in good condition, I'd probably side with it. It's a keeper car. Pwede na ipamana sa mga anak and so on. Since it's off warranty, you are not hostage by the dealer. You can now take it to a real professional maintenance and repair facility. Parts are not that hard to find since Mercedes Benz parts are manufactured way beyond the 15 year support required by US laws. Then there are tons of replacement parts also which makes keeping these vehicles on the road economically feasible.

We have a '87 W124 230E here. And it still drives and rides better than newer 'executive' sedans. And of course, it's a Benz so it never really gets old, goes out of fashion, or runs out of parts (our oldest is a '56). Even if your W124 is just the 'pang-taxi' Euro version, it still has more street cred and panache than the Japanese brand. Benzes are instantly recongnizable. Swipe the badges off a Japanese mid-size and most common fold would be hard-pressed to identify it.

Yung '87 Toyota Crown which it shared market segment back in '87 parang wala na sa radar ngayon. Meron pa bang mint condition nito ngayon?

But then, if you just need an appliance car for the next 5 years or so, the Toyota will suffice.
    Last edited by OTEP; September 14th, 2006 at 09:33 PM.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    yup, the Benz is a car for keeps... although, if in after 4-5 or so years, you will decide to sell the car, i think the Camry is better. depreciates slower and cheaper parts. while you have the car, you enjoy the new-ness, more powerful engine, more features too.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    personally i'd take the '07 3.5L Camry. it has the bells and whistles to elevate it to older merc and bmw territory.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Speaking of the Toyota Crown, my father-in-law (foreign expat) had one as his company driven car that cost almost 3M during the mid 90's ('94 or '95) but sold it for only 200k+ last year.

Is this the current body E-class? I wouldn't mind as a alternate car especially if its in good condition.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    a matter of perception also... a Mercedez Benz is a Mercedez Benz... marami sasaludo sayo jan... madaming business partners ang magtitiwala sayo dahil maganda tsikot mo...

the camry.. well... its a toyota... only the car enthusiasts know that this version is mala-"lexus" na (that's my impression when i saw & checked it thoroughly sa dealership). Kung lexus lang sana ang badge nyan e same level na yan ng benz... sad truth is all the Lexus quality is warped into a mid size Toyota..

If you need a car for status symbol & overwhelming positive perception... it will be the benz...

But if you want a bullet-proof car... it will be the Lexus... er Camry...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd go with the second hand unit.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Tough call...

I'd side with Otep... IF... you have a couple of other cars to depend on...

In general, if you don't have the patience and resources, stay away from older Germans unless you're absolutely sure it's pain-free (based on previous ownership)...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Our W124 is pretty bulletproof. Almost everything is still original including the paint and interior. Engine is not babied but is a flawless performer. Even GlennSter considered purchasing our unit a few years ago.

The body is very rigid. No squeaks, no rattles, no rust even if it's pushing 20 years old. Gotta love the details like the bullet-type door catches, the one piece door frames, gobs of sound insulation (including a double bulkehead engine compartment).

Changing a flat tire is very idiot-proof and easy thanks to the Euro-style jack. There's also a built-in bucket in the cargo floor for 'dirty goods' or in case you need something to hold water in (e.g. overheat).

The car itself is easy to work on if that's your cup of tea. Almost every component is serviceable in contrast to 'assemblies'.

I'm just not sure if a Camry can age as gracefully. Who even remembers where the '87 Camry is today?
    Last edited by OTEP; September 15th, 2006 at 01:05 AM.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
2001 E240 Avantgarde or 07 Camry