New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2006
    I'm helping a friend out.. these are the 2 options. Are these units price reasonably?

a. 2000 Starex SVX
    Manual
    116t mileage
    newly overhauled
    Faded Paint but tolerable

Php 360T

b. 2007 Innova G - Diesel
    Matic
    27t mileage
    Makinis at Sariwa inside and out
    Php 680T

It's not fair po to compare the two because of it's age and price, pero ito ang choices nya. Questions nya includes..

Reliability... since the starex was overhauled against D4D woes..
    Fuel Consumption... sino mas matipid since manual vs matic
    Comfort...

Resale Value doesn't matter.

Thanks

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Innova. Newer and atleast it doesn't have the faded paint. And since it's newer, less hassles for the owner.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    tinatanong pa ba ito? 07 Innova na ako kahit D4D pa. Hello, ang dami nang sakit sigurado nung 00 Starex hehe.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The 2000 Starex will have more parts available for it, and the engine will be simpler to care for... but...

If it has been overhauled... you are not assured of the condition of the engine. I'd tread wearily around that one... or at least bring a competent mechanic with tools for testing compression to view the car.

A 2007 car with a lot fewer kilometers on the clock would be better... but you're paying double the price, so you'll get what you pay for. I guess you could plunk about 150k (engine, paint, body, accessories... including cooling system and electricals) down on the Starex and bring it back up to spec... but it's your friend's call.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    If it has been overhauled... you are not assured of the condition of the engine. I'd tread wearily around that one... or at least bring a competent mechanic with tools for testing compression to view the car.

A 2007 car with a lot fewer kilometers on the clock would be better... but you're paying double the price, so you'll get what you pay for. I guess you could plunk about 150k (engine, paint, body, accessories... including cooling system and electricals) down on the Starex and bring it back up to spec... but it's your friend's call.
    actually the care of innova is 1 of the problem here in our area, walang masyado may alam that's why starex came into the picture.

The starex was overhauled by Kia motors (trade-in units), and they're giving a 6 months warranty for it, HOW DO WE TEST for COMPRESSION?

Aircon is practically very cold except for the stereo that's not functioncing and the antenna is not working too. Body is ok with some few faded area (hood and spoiler) and some dents (rear)...

last time we test drove it, we heard some kalampag sa front, so KIA agreed to inspect (replace if needed) the ball joint and stabilizer link. What else should we look for pag may kalampag/ "thug" sound on rough roads?

The agreed price was set at 360T... ok na po ba?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If it doesn't eat oil... doesn't belch blue smoke and the radiator doesn't emit lots of bubbles at high rpm (errh... don't open the cap when it's hot, though...)... it should be relatively okay. Maybe get an emissions certificate.

I don't know the going price for secondhand Starexes... I know it should be somewhere between 350-450k... I'd try to get them to discount it on the knowledge that it was overhauled. But the fact that they told you it was is probably a sign of good faith.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2000 starex vs 2007 Innova