New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Hello guys!

I'm new here in tsikot and I am planning to buy a 2nd hand car (Manual tranny). I would like to know if a 2000 Honda City Type Z is better than a '96/'97/'98 model Honda Civic. I wonder kasi why their prices are quite the same despite of the difference in year model (around Php 200-270k).

Can someone tell me what price range does a 2000 Honda City Type Z should fall under if the mileage is around 60-80kms? How about a '97 Civic with 90-110kms?

Also, if you have any suggestions on what other cars to choose from for a budget of 190-250k, I will greatly appreciate it. The car will be used for daily city driving.

Thanks and TC!!!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    1.5 Vtec ba o 1.3 lang?
    ang 1.5 vtec is stage 2 na DAW and both are SOHC
    matipid sa gas at the same time mlakas ang makina mas malakas pa sa stock ng GSR. Mahal lang ang parts.

for 250K ok na yung 1996-1998 corolla gli 4 daily driving dami ding parts kaht saan at mura, me airbag na to at ABS (ata) kung sporty trip mo get the TRD edition...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Hi power eagle! Thanks sa reply.

1.3 yung engine yung 2000 Honda City Type Z and yung mga nakita kong '96/'97/'98 Honda Civic Models. My preference rin kasi is "makatipid" sa gas. Usually yun ang target ko: 1.3-1.6 engine types.

Any other suggestions or replies from other tsikoteers?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    cezy_18, I currently drive a 2001 city type-z. So far, im very satisfied with it. I get 9L/km City driving and 11L/km Highway. If your looking for a descent (comfortable/aircon/quiet) transpo that is matipid sa gas then honda city would be it, just dont expect for power or sports performance, this car doesnt have.
    I just had my 80K preventive maintenance sched (PMS) sa honda-alabang, it cost me almost 12K. Its abit high, but its alright since it had to do with replacement of timing belt, tensioner ... oil, fluids (critical engine parts). but if its not critical-engine parts sa labas na ako nagpapagawa.

BTW, ask the previous owner of the city if it had a 80K PMS na, otherwise u have to have it done. Mahirap maputulan ng timing belt... aabutin ka ng 20K sa repairs.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Hi CPY61! Thanks dn for the reply!

I actually checked the unit today and it seems ok naman. Wala naman kalampag or whatsoever. Napalitan na daw ng bago yung radiator and for now, it needs change oil. May minor scratches sa lip ng hood and gilid ng car and medyo blurry yung plastic sa headlights.

Would you know how much it cost to change the headlights as well as change oil?

Also, medyo matigas rin ba talaga yung feel ng clutch ng Honday City Type Z? (Or baka nanibago lang ako , iba rin kasi ang feel ng Toyota Revo.)

6. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Refer to previous reply. Message was doubled.
    Last edited by cezy_18; March 11th, 2007 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Doubled message

7. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Cezy_18, if ur in the south u can go to camspeed and have it cleaned parang 500 per headlight (pls double check). Camspeed is in the Alabang Town Center area their beside St. Jerome Church. maraming shops duon, just look for Camspeed. Btw, look for carding or Dong. They do home service too if you like, but me additional lang.
    Cezy_18, malambot yung clutch ko ndi sya matigas.

For the change oil, just go na lang sa mga shell station near u. Baka me marecommend ibang tsikoters na tiga-south.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    both cars are good but your decision will be based on what you want to do with the car.

Kung pang daily use, wala ka hilig mag kalikut and you just plan to keep it stock, I suggest you go for the city type-Z. New car means less sakit ng ulo. The city is based from a civic naman eh yung EF model (88-91) chassis.

But if you are the kind of guy na gusto mag upgrade ng parts, kalikut, DIY at gusto mabilis ang car I suggest you go for a civic kahit mejo luma na. The civic has a lot of parts you can shoose from. You can select a theme also and you will not have problems with the parts you need. The civic 1988 - 2000 have a common chassis so most parts are interchangeable, bolt on! Ang dami pang aftermarket support ng civic like mugen, spoon, and you will not run out of surplus parts especially kung 96 model up ang kukunin mo.

Sa civic, pag nahihinaan ka sa brakes, you have a lot of bolt on mods available from siR brakes to Integra brakes and Type-r brakes. sa city you have no option but to fabricate a knuckle extension for you to use bigger brakes.

Sa City hirap mag buo ng theme dahil thailand design ang city. wlang JDM or Euro kung purist ka... :D

9. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Thanks sa replies CPY61 and Emong3!

Emong3 - gal here so I'm looking for a 2nd-hand car na wala nang masyadong gagalawin/ipapaayos. Pero thanks pa din sa mga info... I wanna learn about car parts din para nde naman ako maloko. Of course, everytime I see a car, may dala rin akong mechanic para macheck talaga.

Not sure dun sa last na Honda City na nicheck ko; baka kasi mataas ang pricing. So for now, I'm still looking. I'm also considering Mitsubishi Lancer and Toyota Corolla now - a lot of people are saying mas mura ang parts if I needed to change something.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    For 1.6, Hondas are fun while Toyotas are easier to live with. Civics offer a sporty drive, and the VTEC ones offer great balance between performance and efficiency. Corollas, on the other hand, lack a bit of soul, but they get the job done, and very reliably at that. The engine is very torquey and also economical, but lacks the revs of the Hondas.

For a daily drive, a Corolla should do you fine. Have a tune-up and suspension repair after you buy one, and it should drive like new for at least a year. A Civic is more characterful but be prepared to take care of its maintenance, as parts cost higher and the suspension is not as durable as the Corolla, though it offers more inspired handling.

As for parts, it's always best buy original from the casa especially if they have rubber components. The rubber material used is more sophisticated than imitation, so they tend to last longer. You could end up paying the same for fake parts as you need to replace them more frequently, but if they indeed prove cheaper in the long run, it might take a toll on your health due to increased headaches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
2000 Honda City Type Z or 96/97/98 Honda Civic?