New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Si 06 View Post
    hinDMaxiado I am not a Subaru hater because I still keep 3 STI's but had to let go of the Forester for practical reasons. You might want to buy a diesel SUV and install the Race Chip as an option. I installed the Race Chip in my Forester replacement today and I couldn't be happier.
    Oh my sir!!!! You're the man!

What was your running cost sir on the Forester? Any indicative cost you may provide would help me sort things out better.

i have quite a lot of sources anyhow as to how much the Santa Fe's running cost is....

Thanks for your time sir.

Kind regards.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I do not have a running cost of the Forester but to give you an idea. I live in Tagaytay which does not have a steady supply of Blaze which the car likes so everytime I use the car I fill up. The Forester XT comsumes more fuel than the STI. The usual change oil is not expensive like P300 for the oil filter + oil of your choice(syempre full synthetic) but would you pay 90k for 1 headlight when you bump yes I said bump not crash because you will need to replace the assembly for merely cracking the plastic lense. There is no way you can change the lense only. Service at MI is not impressive I have my Subaru's done at a tuner shop in Pasong Tamo ext. Scratches and dings are a common thing when having the car serviced at the dealership but what terrifies me are the loose nuts and bolts when the car is running 200kph. The STI is a different addiction which is hard or impossible to lick

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I've always felt that the stock Forester is under-braked and under-damped for the power. Not that the Santa Fe has the best suspension either (a bit soft for my tastes), but it's not marketed as a sporty vehicle.

I actually like the suspension of the Kia Sorento. Good ride over bumps, but it has some killer anti-roll bars, which make it more stable in turns. But the 4x4 diesel Sorento is much more expensive than the comparable Santa Fe. Oh... and the Sorento's interior is fantastic in comparison.

Santa Fes and Sorentos are not difficult to chip-tune... they've done a few with the dpchip, the unichip and reflashes. This bumps your power up to near stock Forester levels.

Of course, you can give a Forester over 350 hp on the stock block (though the transmission starts slipping beyond this, supposedly)... but it's probably better to buy a secondhand Fozzie to do these antics...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Uh, Niky, what's more practical when it comes to modding? The previous Forester STi or the current XT ? Practical in the sense of having a more widespread aftermarket add-ons available which produces a greater amount of power.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2011

Good day Sir Si 06.

HUWAAAW, sobrang mahal pala ng headlight naman na yan, PhP90k for one complete assembly.... tsk, tsk, tsk. Hikbi si misis niyan sir tiyak haha! ....Mukhang mag-DMaxsiado nalang ako sir ah ahoho....

Going back to the use of 100-octane Petron Blaze on the Forester is good, definitely, but i think sir it's not a must. I've looked into the Forz spec sheet, c/o Motor Image Phils. website, and saw that it only carries a compression ratio of 8.4 : 1.
    Motor Image, Philippines - Subaru - Showroom > Forester > Data Sheet: Specifications

Just happen to come from a dirtbike background where i have bikes running at compression ratios of low 7.2 : 1 (Yamaha DT125) and at high 9.2 : 1 to 11.0 : 1 (Yamaha YZ250, which is equipped with a powervalve mechanism explaining why the range in compression ratios). In the lower compression ratio DT125, the minimum fuel requirement is 87-octane while for the YZ250 is 95-octane and above to prevent it from "pinging" especially when under load. With the Forz at compression ratio of 8.4 : 1, i think we'd be safe enough at say 95-octane gasolines available anywhere.... But this is only my opinion sir as an "outsider looking-in", coming from a person who hasn't owned a Subaru hehe

Using those gear and tire specs provided in the link, i've made an estimate as to how much engine radial speed (assuming 100% mechanical efficiency, without taking into account drag effects etc) the Forester could be running at its published top speed of 207 kilometre per hour.

We can somehow see here that in between gears, the Forz really pulls hard along the rev range (napakalakas nitong humila pala sir, as imagined!), and it only needs about 4640 rpm to reach in 4th-gear the topspeed of 207 kph, way below the redline of 6700 rpm, and below the 5200 rpm where the Forester reaches its peak power of 230 metric-hp. HUWAAW sir, kayang-kaya kahit 4-gear tranny's lang pala ito! Sakali man may 5th-gear pa ito, baka hindi na rin gaano magamit sa lakas ng pulling-power nito sa apat na gears na mistulang parang pang-overdrive nalang ang 5th-gear haha! ....But frankly, i really do not know the reason behind why it only has 4 gears, apart from the fact Subaru's are ultra highly-engineered cars for performance....
    ....In between the auto-gear shift, the low rpm's namely 2574 rpm, 3003 rpm, and 3220 rpm are almost within the peak torque range of the Forester at 320 Nm at 2800 rpm.

Hope to find a complete spec of the Santa Fe eVGT to make a speed-rpm comparo, and then i decide which one to get sir. i only have the power (197 metric-hp at 3800 rpm) and torque rating and the tire information on the Fe, but i can't find the gear ratios.

Kind regards.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Ang alam ko the Forester runs okay on 95 octane, better on 97 and best on 100.

If you have a powerful car such as the Forester which costs 1.7M++ siguro hindi ka na magtitipid pa for its fuel that is advantageous naman sayo since using such high octane fuel can unleash or maximize the power that the Forester has.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2011

Mga sirs, maraming-maraming salamat sa mga advices. Much is appreciated.

Nakita ko na rin mga sirs ang complete gear-ratio specs ng Santa Fe R eVGT auto-tranny, c/o Hyundai Australia website ---- Santa Fe Specifications & Range - Hyundai Motor Company Australia

Naka-estimate na rin sirs ng malamang na takbo at engine rpm nito base sa published top speed of 190 kilometres per hour.

Masiadong suwabe manakbo pala ang Santa Fe dahil na rin yata sa 6th-speed gear box nito. Parang mga short-shifting ang makikita in between gear-shift. At 190 kph mga sir, ang estimated engine radial speed ay 3392 rpm. Di hamak na sobrang tipid pala nito sa consumo ng diesel kumpara sa estimated 4258 rpm na kailanganin ng Forester 2.5 XT para tumakbo din ng 190 kph. Di hamak din na mas sobrang tulin nitong Fe kumpara sa aking DMaxsiado wahehehe ....Nasa 3500 rpm na ako sa DMax, 165 kph lang ang kayang takbuhin.

Trust that everything is well with you all always, and have a great weekend.

Kind regards.

hinDMaxsiado

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    They published a top speed of 190km/h for Santa Fe kasi yun lang din ang speed load ng tires.

But I already tried doing a flat 200km/h. Someone from SFCP even tried 215km/h.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    hinDMaxiado the Forester will run on premium gas no doubt but a turbo charged 8.4:1 ratio under boost will need better fuel to avoid detonation similarly to one that has a 11.0:1 ratio NA. The demo car will not run on different fuels for you to test. The whole scenario might change if the FXT came at least with a 6sp AT instead of the old 4sp.
    For the "feeling binata" aspect get 1 STI and it will keep you feeling younger longer.
    It is still your money therefore your call

10. Join Date
    Mar 2011

HUWAAAAW naman Sir Starex_Gold, kaya sa yo ako eh!!!!

215 kph!!!!
    .... Hay, ayaw ko na ng Santa Fe! Okat-okat na akow!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
2.5-litre Subaru Forester AWD or 2.2-litre Hyundai Sante Fe eVGT 4x4