New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    I'm currently driving a 2002 Honda CRV AT (my only vehicle) which I am still paying for thru financing (still got a few years left to pay).

I'm planning to sell the CRV and get:

1. 1993 Civic Hatchback MT
    2. Toyota Avanza 1.3J MT thru financing

Pros of selling:
    1. The monthly amortization of the Avanza is 40% less, great for my cash flow!
    2. I don't have to worry about number-coding
    3. I'll have my own toy and a brand-new vehicle to boot

Cons:
    1. I'll be in debt for two more years if I max out the loan re-payment term for the Avanza
    2. Some say its a downgrade in status
    3. Maintenance cost for two cars will be higher and I'll be paying more in insurance.

I've thinking of pulling the trigger on this and I'd like get inputs from you guys if you think I'm making the right choice? I've asked some friends and I get differing opinions.

yup its a prob, two more years of laboring in debt.pero iwan coding ka na din.

both 1.3L naman yan, ganito, kung gusto mo yun avanza mo codin mo(ksi pwede mo i-request ung plaka. at b-new, para di malaspag at tumagal sa yo. ang everyday mo yun hatch, maliit at masmura parts nun na kasi madami na.

ok naman yun move.

ako i wont worry about "lowering" status... more on practicality..insurance, ung avanza mo no choice ka compre yan +chattel kasi financing. ung hatch, kahit pa-tpl mo nalang, pwede na yun..

ayaw mo ng charade, 1.0 at less than 100thou lang? pang everyday at para mas malaki maddown mo sa avanza.

ako kasi more on practicality than catering those "status" symbols and resale...

ganito kung ako >

panlaspagan/everyday: charade/EG hatch.
    pan-date/coding/special occations: b-new avanza mo. baka next trim pa makuha mo,e...

maintenance > just balance the use, where-in much gamit mo ung older model. kasi mas mura sa parts and labor. gas bills mo, the same parin as if you have your cr-v. only this time 2 1.3L ride mo(carb ung eg0hatch,vvti yun avanza), or kung charade, much cheaper ng konti(1 1.0L carb at isang vvti1.3L)

or ganito > buy first the older car you prefer, then save mo yun difference in TD para di matulog yung pera mo..ipon for a new car debt free ka na!
    Last edited by alwayz_yummy; November 26th, 2006 at 08:42 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    If your cash flow would allow for the extended loan period, additional expenses on registration, insurance, maintenance, etc. , GO FOR IT.

When I bought (through a loan) my new Toyota Innova last year, I planned on maintaining my other car, a Toyota Corolla XE.

Kaya lang, since my garage can't fit in 2 cars and to have some savings, I decided to sell the old one.
    Last edited by j_avonni; November 26th, 2006 at 09:23 AM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's difficult to maintain more than one car if you're not used to it. I've stretched my budget to try to take care of three, but even with my Mom helping to pay for repairs for one (the Crosswind... heck, she should, she's the one who uses it most), one car was left to languish.

The Avanza 1.3 shouldn't give you many headaches. If you get a second car to take the brunt of the mileage, it should last you even longer.

A 1993 Civic Hatch is a fun car, but not the most practical, and at that age, expect to spend $$$ maintaining it... tune-up, radiator hoses and plumbing (you HAVE to replace this... it's likely cracked and leaky by now... this is from experience with that model), possible kalampag in the suspension, rust problems on the roof (from experience, too), etcetera. The engine itself is very very durable, but the rest needs attention.

What's your budget for that second car? For the price of a hatch, you can get some newer and more practical cars... not as fuel efficient, maybe, but they won't guzzle gas anywhere near as badly as your CRV did.

-----

Downgrade in status? If you're busy paying off the bills of a new car, who cares about status? Heck, maybe people will look up to you for making a practical choice.

Besides, I've just started seeing Avanzas on the road, and, when set-up right, they're kinda cute.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

kaya advice ko > sell then buy your daily car..or just buy an avanza..debt free ka na!

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    i think you should go for it.. kung kaya mo pa magbayad ng monthly for a couple of more years.. iwas coding ka na brand new pa ung avanza mo.. chaka i think in the long run pantay lng ung gastos mo kc gas guzzler tlga cr-v.. hehe! pero not pretty sure about that because of the maintenance of 2 cars.. pretty unpredictable based on ur usage..

mahirap talaga ang 2 inaalagaan kaysa sa isa, noh! lalo na kung 2 hirap hanapan ng piyesa.

ganito, kung talagang wala, sell your CR-v then buy a avanza, cash! no utang there.

or just buy your 2nd hand car for daily, then ipon mo muna ung sukli para pambili mo ng avanza b-new, in cash!

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    picanto na lang saka avanza. puwersahin mo na cash flow mo. 93 car sayang lang yan

9. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the inputs guys! I'll be sleeping over this and do some more number crunching. But it seems like you've pushed me to pull the trigger on this one!!!

always_yummy,

The net proceeds of the CRV will not be sufficient to cover the list price of the Avanza. Partial payment lang + the hatchback. So, I really have to go thru the financing route unless I am willing to wait which I'm not .

oldblue/niky,

I've always wanted a hatchback since way, way back. I couldn't afford it when it first came out and when I could finally afford to get a car, I opted for brand new cars. This is more of a sentimental purchase for me if ever I push thru with it . Also, the Picanto just doesn't appeal to me.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xonx View Post
    oldblue/niky,

I've always wanted a hatchback since way, way back. I couldn't afford it when it first came out and when I could finally afford to get a car, I opted for brand new cars. This is more of a sentimental purchase for me if ever I push thru with it . Also, the Picanto just doesn't appeal to me.

I suggest that you postpone your sentimental purchase for a few more years. By that time, you may find a real need for 2 vehicles, instead of the shallow 'to get around the number coding scheme'.... Financially, I surmise that you'll save some dough with this.

Good luck in your decision.....

:starwars:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
2 for 1?