New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Hehehe... Grabe naman si sir ron. We have the same opinion about the looks too. But the Alterra is really better packed and more practical, imo. <- Why do I usually get offended/turned off by these "imo" thing? It sounds like an authoritative word to me.

Joking aside.

*Drave,
    Sorry I wouldn't recommend the Defender to the threadstarter. If you only knew how painful it is to maintain. You have to be a techy guy in order to know what's what emotional problem. Consider the maintenance higher than a pregnant women and scheduled for pre-cs delivery.

True, it is a head turner. But I don't think its worth the price of paying how many heads turn to your truck than the number of 1 peso your spending for Plus I think the prices for a used 96 LR Defender 130 300Tdi Double Cab pick-up is around 400K already... Not that good on resale which can mean two things:
    1] Land Rovers don't sell well in the used market because parts ain't cheap and it's not that reliable; and
    2] The guy selling his LR Defender is overpricing you. :hihihi:

Best alternative choices would be: A TOYOTA LAND CRUISER LC80 or a NISSAN PATROL GU Hmm... the AMC Hammer? Probably yes.
    Last edited by drey; April 17th, 2008 at 01:22 AM.
    iam3739.com

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alainroyce View Post
    Dagdagan mo pa konti para magKasya yan for 2.5 Mitsubishi Strada GLS 4X4 pa.. 1.050 plus Insurance..
    if not... get the Strada 2.5GLX 4x2 for +/- 900k then use the sukli for a canopy.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    maganda ang strada pero hindi naman pampamilya IMO lang

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ^^^ yep +1 wagon ang tipo ni bro ekswind. another choice ko adventure grand sport. being brand new is unquestionable. at least 5 yrs from now matinong matino pa. at may sukli pa sa 1M

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by drey View Post
    *Drave,
    Sorry I wouldn't recommend the Defender to the threadstarter. If you only knew how painful it is to maintain. You have to be a techy guy in order to know what's what emotional problem. Consider the maintenance higher than a pregnant women and scheduled for pre-cs delivery.

True, it is a head turner. But I don't think its worth the price of paying how many heads turn to your truck than the number of 1 peso your spending for Plus I think the prices for a used 96 LR Defender 130 300Tdi Double Cab pick-up is around 400K already... Not that good on resale which can mean two things:
    1] Land Rovers don't sell well in the used market because parts ain't cheap and it's not that reliable; and

Best alternative choices would be: A TOYOTA LAND CRUISER LC80 or a NISSAN PATROL GU Hmm... the AMC Hammer? Probably yes.
    Sorry again, OT, but I need to reply...

Bro, I'm talking about the Defender and not the other land rover vehicles.

These are some facts that I know:
    1.It's maintenance and parts costs are just like your average jap vehicle. Parts availability is not a problem.
    2. It's very reliable especially the 300Tdi engine due to lack of high-tech parts. No ecu, not a crdi.
    3.The body doesn't rust coz it's aluminum. The drivetrain/chassis are tough.
    4.It's the vehicle of choice for cross country adventure. You see them in the middle of the african jungle. The adventurers are gonna get killed if it's not reliable.
    5. The resale value is unbelievable. A '97 brandnew defender cost 1.05M. You can buy it now for 900k-1M depending on the condition. You will not see many Defenders being sold. On the other hand, the resale value of the other LR vehicles are very poor.

Some drawbacks are no carpeting, no power windows, no power side mirrors, no luxurious amenities.

Tell me if you see a Defender 130 double-cab pick-up being sold at 400k. I'm gonna buy it in a heartbeat.

BTW, Landcruiser 80 and Nissan Patrol GU are great choices too. Nice thinking out of the box.

Again, my apologies.

Back to topic. For it's ride, sound system, and engine, alterra na. Who cares about styling if you see them everytime you turn your head.
    Last edited by Drave; April 17th, 2008 at 09:05 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by drey View Post
    400K? Are you sure about this or are you just getting this figure from the air?

Old Defenders almost doesn't depreciate here in the Philippines.

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drave View Post

Tell me if you see a Defender 130 double-cab pick-up being sold at 400k. I'm gonna buy it in a heartbeat.
    OT. I am next in inline drave even though i want a D90. i can even buy it 450 depends on the condition. sorry for the OT. Defender 300Tdi is not hard to maintain. baka yung bagong engine ang sinasabi ni drey. you just need to talk to the right person.:D

BTT; ill go with the alterra kahit medyo di ko gusto looks. but at 1M budget ayaw mo na iba?
    Last edited by niwde11; April 17th, 2008 at 10:41 AM.

8. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    400K? Are you sure about this or are you just getting this figure from the air?

Old Defenders almost doesn't depreciate here in the Philippines.

oist ano ka ba? amp kaya wala ako makuha eh. sorry last OT. baka magkainterest pa yung TS sa defender at may kalaban pa kami ni drave.

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niwde11 View Post
    oist ano ka ba? amp kaya wala ako makuha eh. sorry last OT. baka magkainterest pa yung TS sa defender at may kalaban pa kami ni drave.
    eto binebenta

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ^^^^ Naalala ko noon 1.1M lang brand new nito. Kano na ba ngayon? 6 speed m/t ang tsalap!

Pwedeng pwede sa uri ng kalsada natin.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
1M budget, what will you get Fortuner or Alterra?