New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    You guys are right. Maybe a Sentra and Lancer are a better pair than merely 2 Sentras. My friend is also considering an ESi, but was surprised that it has just about the same resale value as a GLi of similar age.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    USDM Corolla DX same as the AE101 but had 1.8L 110hp accelerates to 60mph in 9.3secs and gets 28mpg.
    USDM Sentra GXE same as the b13 (aka S2) had only 1.6L also 110hp does the same in just 8.5secs and gets 30mpg.

i dont think the weaker 1.6L in RP spec AE101 GLi can beat the 9.3sec of the DX nor the 8.5sec run of the Sentra, it may get equal or slightly better mileage though.

my cousin still has an S2 and its fuel efficient still can get 8km/l during normal driving.
    as i was saying its fuel efficient and quick due to its light body.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    As for the fuel economy, you're the first one I encountered who said it's efficient. Among 1.6 cars, many say this is a guzzler like the Mazda Familia, while Corolla, Civic VTEC and Lancer are the stingiest. The AE101 GLi is also a bit lighter than the Sentra.
    the sentra gas guzzler that i know of is the LEC and LEC PS as well as the FE.
    its because they have 1.3L DOHC 16valve but is wearing a carb not yet EFI.
    i have experienced driving a LEC PS, i dont know why but the PS seemed to have added worser fuel readings. FE wears the same engine as the LEC.

we've owned a B14 EX Saloon, its fuel efficient i can vouch for that. we can get 10km/l during normal driving to as high as 11.5-12km/l.
    SS S3 is fuel efficient too. 7-9km/l so easy to get during normal driving.
    yes, ive heard that the Mazda 323 Familia quite a guzzler but i think its the AT variant. MTs quite stingy too.
    323 gen1(aka box type) in my theory could be the guzzler of the bunch as it has same engine design as the LEC Sentra a 1.3L DOHC 16v Carb.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if fuel efficiency is a problem... why not get the Sentra 1.4L?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by squala
    A friend of mine has around 250K budget but cannot quite choose which one to buy. Here's what he has evaluated so far.

GLi
    - better looks
    - a bit quicker
    - more efficient with fuel
    - better price and availability for spare parts

ECCS
    - 2 heads are better than 1, especially for coding days
    - Colder aircon
    - Independent rear suspension (?)

Please post your opinions. I myself am interested in what my friend has here, and now wondering if I should have gotten a Sentra duo instead.

the problem with the Sentra B13 1.6L is the engine GA16DE is not that fuel efficent. It is powerful (110HP) but with the cost of gasoline today, fuel milage is a major consideration.

The Sentra B14 GA16DNE engine is slightly weaker (105HP) but gives slightly better fuel milage.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter
    the problem with the Sentra B13 1.6L is the engine GA16DE is not that fuel efficent. It is powerful (110HP) but with the cost of gasoline today, fuel milage is a major consideration.

The Sentra B14 GA16DNE engine is slightly weaker (105HP) but gives slightly better fuel milage.
    ghosthunter, did they brought here the GA16DNE? i thought its only the GA16DE that made it here, i still believe its fuel efficient
    Last edited by basti08; November 26th, 2005 at 01:13 AM.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08
    USDM Corolla DX same as the AE101 but had 1.8L 110hp accelerates to 60mph in 9.3secs and gets 28mpg.
    USDM Sentra GXE same as the b13 (aka S2) had only 1.6L also 110hp does the same in just 8.5secs and gets 30mpg.

i dont think the weaker 1.6L in RP spec AE101 GLi can beat the 9.3sec of the DX nor the 8.5sec run of the Sentra, it may get equal or slightly better mileage though.

my cousin still has an S2 and its fuel efficient still can get 8km/l during normal driving.
    as i was saying its fuel efficient and quick due to its light body.
    I beg to disagree. The Corolla AE101 DX has a 1.6 engine, although the US also had a 1.8 LE variant (AE102).

And 8.5-second 0-60 for a Sentra? Yeah, I think I read that C/D issue too, but there's absolute doubt that it can really do such a thing. Perhaps that's manufacturer's estimate. Even a stock EK VTi will have a hard time attaining that feat.

I also raced a B13 at the strip with my 101 and we were about equal. He had intake and exhaust mods compared to my air filter change only. I also had almost a full tank of gas at the time compared to his less than half, and I forgot to close my window as well (was my first time to drag race legally :lol: ).

8. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    110hp sentra can do 0-60 in 8.3 secs?

Wow this is a great car! it's faring even better than current 2.0 liter compacts. Is this the same as the Sentra SS series 3?

neway - back to topic, i think with a 250K budget it's just right to get 1 car (even if it is less than that amount) and spend the rest for repairs and some borloloys if he wants. getting two older cars might be 2x the headache considering that these are more than 10 years old units. IMO

between the two (or 3 ba? hehe) I'd go for the corolla tho.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    actually that test was done side by side with a corolla which i swear has 1.8L.
    sentras all that time has only 1.6L engine even the Sentra b14 in the US never had an engine bigger than the standard 1.6L...and of course the USDM 200SX SE-R is a sentra but is just 2 door. they just gain 1.8-2.0-2.5L engine in the current body.
    the 8.5Sec run is for the 1.6L S2 body.WIK, its essentially same engine as the one sold here sans the timing chain...USDM had belts before.
    S3 body had a slower 8.7sec run.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    btw, the 2.0L equipped S2 body SER can do 60mph in 7.2-7.5sec and can top out 124mph. it just have 140hp but of course, its lightweight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
1 Corolla GLi or 2 Sentra ECCS?