New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    I had been reading through a lot threads and I find them all helpful but still undecided which SUV to buy with a budget of 1.5M to 1.6M. This will be our very first SUV and I have certain concerns/criterias which are listed below:

1. safety (airbags, ABS, EBD, etc. the more the better) and ground clearance specially we had horrible experience with ONDOY so we want a reliable SUV (we live in tandang sora area and the everyday route is Quezon City, Ortigas and during weekend will be tagaytay or laguna. We go baguio or northern provinces probably two times a year lang).
    2. Ride quality and comfort since most of the time my pregnant wife is driving this because I'm overseas (she's a more experienced driver tha me and used to drive different company pick ups and cars).
    3. Durability and reliability (we don't want our daily car to be big headache and will give us a lot of problems)
    4. After sales service of the casas (one major concern since I heard bad experiences in some casas)
    5. Resale value after 5 years maybe.
    6. Interior looks (audio system and toys included) and exterior looks

I checked the threads of most SUVs out there and these are my opinions and concerns:

Mitsubishi Montero: looks is ok to me. high ground clearance is a plus. Riding comfort is ok compared to fortuner but I'm a bit worried with all the problems and issues coming out now specilly with their casas will it be worth buying after all?

Toyota Fortuner: looks macho and highest ground clearance (from the outside) but i read some complains on riding comfort and the D4D problem. Also my wife said it's too big for her. But the after sales of toyota is generally ok for us since we had toyota cars before.

Hyundai Sta Fe: I've read really good feedbacks for this SUV and how it handles better than Montero and Fortuner. Concerns: how expensive is the PMS and how high is the ground clearance of this car? One main concern also is that it has a very sensitive computer box (correct me if I'm wrong) and might break down during floodings in Quezon City and Pasig area (nadala na kami kay Ondoy baka maulit uli, 'wag naman sana)

Kia Sorento: It's new in the market but with the same engine and concerns as SF. I heard it will take months to get your unit and they can't assure you that you'll get your preferred one.

Ford Everest: I've read good reviews on how durable it is during floodings and how tough its engine and computer box but the riding comfort is a bit stiff. Also it has no head rest on the 2nd and 3rd row (I'm not sure though) and resale value they said is really sucks. It may not be worth buying after all.

Subaru Forester (FXT): I just can't resist the turbocharged engine and one of the safest car according to reviews.
    Seating capacity is not a major concern since most of the time it's just my wife and yaya and my upcoming baby who will be riding it. One concern is that there's only one casa in Metro Manila and it's a bit over our budget (although we can stretch a little bit but we want to make sure it'll worth all the penny). Looks a bit outdated compared to others maybe but it's on the least on my concerns.

Hyundai Tucson: Looks good and fresh. I've read good reviews (handling and respose specially the eVGT) also but i think a bit cramped inside (correct me if i'm wrong). I could get Sta Fe with almost the same price for the highest variant (I not sure also).

CRV / CX-7 / X-trail: Riding comfort is ok but will it has enough power and will it be fun and worth it to have (best bang for the buck)?

Setting capacity is not a major concern but we may never know when we'll be needing the 3rd row seats. Fuel consumption is not a major concern also since my wife has company benefits on it. At first we decided to get Montero(GLS SE) but with all the problems arising now we're leaning towards Sta Fe (2.2 R eVGT) and Forester FXT eventhough it's beyond our alloted budget.

Which would you recommend in terms of safety, durability, comfort and low maintenance cost? Which one is the best bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance for sharing your inputs mga masters.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Nissan X-Trail have two engine options for the 2WD version. The 2.0L and 2.5L. So if you want that extra grunt, the X-Trail 2.5L 2WD might be the option you want to consider as well.

Pricelist: http://www.auto-searchphilippines.co...riceList1.html

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If flooding is your biggest concern, there aren't really many choices out there for you besides the Eve. The poor resale value is caused by Ford's propensity for having sales... and the perception was boosted by the fire sale Ford had on the old pre-TDCi units when they were about to introduce the new ones... where they sold them for under 1m (previously, they were selling for 1.2 - 1.3). That was the big trigger. For the newer one, resale value isn't the best there is, but it's not horrible. IMHO, it shouldn't be a consideration unless you plan to replace the vehicle in just three years... but if you're buying an SUV, you should be looking at long-term ownership... because even Fortuners lose about 500,000 pesos in value over two to three years. And that hurts. Still... passenger comfort is a weak point for the Everest. If you get the variant with the normal wheels (not the 18s), it's better, but it's still quite truckish, though not as "tagtag" as the Fort. The Fort has a better second row, and I feel that it drives more securely, but even with the "new" rear suspension, it's still kind of harsh.

The Monty is a good halfway point between durability and comfort. Ride comfort trumps the other trucks in the class (Eve, Fort) and it's more rugged than the crossovers on your list. It's not the best handling vehicle there is, but handling is very predictable and very secure, and the suspension is not as easily upset by bumps as the Fortuner's is. The interior plastic is just a shade behind the Everest (the Fort is pretty so-so in terms of interiors) but the design and execution is leagues ahead. Personally, I think of the Montero Sport as the next-generation Pajero... it's that good.

I think there might already be a snorkel on the market to allow you to cross floods, but on a modern car, I would only cross a flooded street to get to a nearby high point. Once flood water reaches a certain height, there's nothing you can do about it, and even if the Everest's computer box can survive floods better than the competition, having your car go completely under is still expensive.

There are problems with dealerships with any brand. It will depend mostly on how conscientious your service advisor is and if you're on good terms with them. I have had bad experiences with Mitsu service before, but there is hope that things might be turning around with the renewed presence Mitsubishi has on the local market.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    If flooding is your biggest concern, there aren't really many choices out there for you besides the Eve. The poor resale value is caused by Ford's propensity for having sales... and the perception was boosted by the fire sale Ford had on the old pre-TDCi units when they were about to introduce the new ones... where they sold them for under 1m (previously, they were selling for 1.2 - 1.3). That was the big trigger. For the newer one, resale value isn't the best there is, but it's not horrible. IMHO, it shouldn't be a consideration unless you plan to replace the vehicle in just three years... but if you're buying an SUV, you should be looking at long-term ownership... because even Fortuners lose about 500,000 pesos in value over two to three years. And that hurts. Still... passenger comfort is a weak point for the Everest. If you get the variant with the normal wheels (not the 18s), it's better, but it's still quite truckish, though not as "tagtag" as the Fort. The Fort has a better second row, and I feel that it drives more securely, but even with the "new" rear suspension, it's still kind of harsh.

The Monty is a good halfway point between durability and comfort. Ride comfort trumps the other trucks in the class (Eve, Fort) and it's more rugged than the crossovers on your list. It's not the best handling vehicle there is, but handling is very predictable and very secure, and the suspension is not as easily upset by bumps as the Fortuner's is. The interior plastic is just a shade behind the Everest (the Fort is pretty so-so in terms of interiors) but the design and execution is leagues ahead. Personally, I think of the Montero Sport as the next-generation Pajero... it's that good.

I think there might already be a snorkel on the market to allow you to cross floods, but on a modern car, I would only cross a flooded street to get to a nearby high point. Once flood water reaches a certain height, there's nothing you can do about it, and even if the Everest's computer box can survive floods better than the competition, having your car go completely under is still expensive.

There are problems with dealerships with any brand. It will depend mostly on how conscientious your service advisor is and if you're on good terms with them. I have had bad experiences with Mitsu service before, but there is hope that things might be turning around with the renewed presence Mitsubishi has on the local market.
    Thanks sir niky for the very fast reply. If flooding is not the major concern which SUV will you choose among the choices. Thanks again

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Although you listed the Subaru Forester, you wanted the 2.5T which is out of your budget. How about going for the Subaru Forester 2.0L then? It's under 1.4M so it's in your budget.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

If I have P1.5M just to buy an SUV,- I'd go for the Sta. Fe....

10.8K:lalala:

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    They have enough ground clearance to cross minor flooding but if its major flooding you are talking about, I wouldnt risk your wife driving at all.
    Basically, that. ^

-

If you remove extreme off-road-worthiness and flood-fording from your list, lots you can consider. The Santa Fe and Sorento are both nice, big, comfortable vehicles, but are rather wide, so may be difficult for your wife to drive down city streets (the Montero and Eve are narrower... so is the Fort, but the extended wheel-arches and tires can sometimes catch on things in tight spaces). In this event, a smaller, easier to drive compact crossover like the Forester, Tucson or CR-V may be a good idea.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Sorento

Base on personal experience...Until now enjoying it as my everyday ride...

They say its a Kia blah blah blah(korean, resale value etc.. etc)..but who cares right? I'm happy, comfortable, safe and really really fast

Hey i'm not a Kia fan, in fact this is my 1st Korean car.. I have a toyota and a lancer... but i'm really satisfied with the Sorento.. di ako nag sisi ni minsan.. and this baby is with me for 7 months now...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    For the choices, I'll make it short

1. Subaru 2.5XT

Elevated WRX means everyday fun at the expense of FC.

2. Honda CR-V

Accord-like ride quality and refinement makes it a daily city SUV.

3. Hyundai Santa Fe

Diesel + 5 year Warranty = Buy me now

3. Mitsu Montero

Tied with Hyundai Santa Fe. Based on driving dynamics, I like it more since Santa Fe gives a more "floaty" feeling.

I'll pass on the:

Hyundai Tucson. I'm a big fan of its fluidic lines but I don't like the interior materials on lower-grade trims. Opting for a higher-level trim makes the price hover near Santa Fe, I'll get the big bro as a family car. Not to mention the waiting line....

X-Trail. No beating its versatility is what a friend of mine who owns the previous version said. It's off-roading powess at an affordable price (doesn't beat the Vitara though) but I'm not sold on the interior materials, seems like I bought a sub-compact.

CX-7. It's a looker, nice interior materials too. Where did it lack? Ground clearance and engine.

--

If you're worried about floods, I suggest not driving at all when a typhoon is coming and park your car at the highest possible ground clearance you can find (wag sa second floor ). I know alot of people are traumatized by Ondoy, even I managed to save my sister's Mazda 3 just minutes before it reaches the muffler (buti natutulog ako with jeans only.. hate to go out and walk with my underwear on flooded streets on the way back ) but the other cars weren't as lucky.

In the end, wala naman talaga tayo magagawa sa mga baha eh, just be pro-active in your community and make sure the drainage is cleared. Even our Ford Expedition was submerged in half at the height of Ondoy (buti mabigat, meron kotse lumutang papunta sa rice fields eh )

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    My picks would only be the Sorento and the Santa Fe ... :lalala:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
1.5M to 1.6M budget which SUV will you choose?