New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Altis holds its value ridiculously well, but so did the first generation City.

I haven't seen many second gen Cities up for sale, but they'll probably continue that trend. So, in resale value, this one's a tie.

The City is much bigger inside than the Vios. When I was shopping, I was looking at both as back-up cars for the RS. The City's space impressed me a hell of a lot. It has even more headroom in the back than the Lynx does, and much more legroom than the Vios. But my "commander" didn't warm up to the first-gen City's looks, thus, we don't have one... yet.

The new City, at least, looks sedately handsome, unlike the awkward pre-facelift ones. It has a much bigger trunk (500 liters... Kid Audio uses one as a showcar because of this) than the Altis (400+), and at the same price range, is fully loaded with all the safety equipment and borloloi you need. The top of the line City would be a smidge quicker, more economical and a lot more fun to drive than the bigger Toyota. A friend with a 1.5 VTEC Jazz thrashed his all day on track and on the highway (never went slower than 140-170, high revs the whole time) and still got 14 km/l on the day. That's what the Altis gets in economy cruising.

Downsides include a slightly harsher ride and less elbow room (but my relatives drive theirs four-up to Baguio... no complaints at all), poor thigh support in the front seats (only matters in traffic) and maybe higher Honda aftersales service costs. but as the City has a smaller engine, the difference is negligible.

The City is also already on a 10,000km service interval, so it saves you a bit there (don't know if the Altis is 5k or 10k). And no, the VTEC doesn't have 8 spark plugs, so that won't cost you any more than in any other car.

I'd pick the City here if you're looking at value for money. The Altis, only if you really need the extra space. Bring your family along to the Honda showroom and see for yourself if it fits you.
    Last edited by niky; February 18th, 2006 at 12:38 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Being a City owner I say forget the City. Easy choice, get the Corolla Altis. Check my sig for details.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I suggest the Altis. If you're not that convinced with the J, have you considered looking for a 2nd hand 1.6G? You may even have a lot left for maintenance, refurbishing, and accessories. Good luck in your final choice.
    Last edited by Autobeat; February 20th, 2006 at 12:58 PM.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Altis pa rin me .... unless ur willing to go 2nd hand, go BMW! Kasya sa budget yan. (see my post re 325i at Margaux's MX, Jazz thread)

5. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj
    The Altis J has airbags already and an MP3 player. No ABS though.

I'd still get this over the City as its in a bigger vehicle class (which is my priority) and i do presume the value of this will hold better than the City. I almost got an Altis J last month but decided to get a 2nd hand instead.
    The Altis J has airbags and an MP3 player? Where did you get this info? Last I checked (which was today, with Toyota Otis), it didn't. On top of that, it only came with 14" mags!

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    The Altis J has airbags and an MP3 player? Where did you get this info? Last I checked (which was today, with Toyota Otis), it didn't. On top of that, it only came with 14" mags!
    According to Toyota's spec sheet, the Altis J doeshave SRS airbags but driver's side only.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Altis since it's bigger and i think will last longer....

although city maka AT ka, yun lang

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    the Altis J doesn't even have a split 60/40 rear seat (the last time I checked).
    That's majorly annoying for cargo-carrying capacity.

i was looking at the Altis J for a while as a possible replacement for my old car (mazda 626). But the Altis J is a step down in almost all areas except for its being newer and with a more economical engine. it's power everything, but so is the mazda. it has no ABS or SRS, ditto for the mazda.

but it doesn't have a split back seat. big no-no when carrying bulky stuff.

i find it funny that toyota tries to segment their different altis models with something as pitiful as DOOR COURTESY LIGHTS.

but anyway.. i'd go for the city solely because of those ULT seats. BTW i know someone (online) who has both a City (1st Gen) and a 626. he says the City HAS MORE LEGROOM IN THE BACK.

Enough said.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by number001
    According to Toyota's spec sheet, the Altis J doeshave SRS airbags but driver's side only.
    Not to make a point, but only for clarification... Taken from Toyota Philippines' website (www.toyota.com.ph):

ABS (1.6E AT/MT) With; (1.6J MT) Without
    Airbags (1.6E AT/MT) With; (1.6J MT) Without
    Wheels (For all 1.6 variants) 6JJ x 14 Alloy with Center Chrome Ornament
    Price: (1.6E AT) P816k; (1.6E MT) 780K; (1.6E) 723K

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    yup, ang alam ko walang ABS or SRS yung Altis J. that's why the Altis E is the better car by far. if I was plunking down 723k, i'd stretch a bit and go for the Altis E.

meron pang climate control (single zone though).

extended till end of February yung promo ni Toyota. 100k down lang, tapos 30k worth of credits for LTO (madugo din yun kasi 3-years) or for insurance. Tapos I believe nasa 16k/month (less) yung Altis E on 5-year term. basically, if I was gonna choose between the two, I'd go for the Altis E manual. konti lang difference sa amortization compared sa Altis J.

and it has a split rear seat!!

(but no door courtesy lights on the back doors.. hehe)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
1.5 m/t Honda City or 1.6J Toyota Altis