New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I could settle for 1.3 Honda City and i wont have a problem on the budget....but the price of 1.5 Cheve Optra is not far ahead and i can still manage the difference......can you please help me decide on which one to buy not considering the price. Any comments on specs, performance, resale value, comfort, fuel consumption....i would really appreciate it very much.....thanks and best regards to all....MABUHAY AND TSIKOT!!!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Optra is 1.6, not 1.5.

In terms of performance, the Optra theoretically has the edge in power, but that engine series isn't really known for rip-roaring power. I'd say straightline speed will be about the same... if not, slightly in the Optra's favor.

The Optra's interior noise and suspension tuning are better than the City's. If we're talking 1.3 City here, with the smaller mags and taller tires than the 1.5, handling should be similar, or slightly in the Optra's favor.

The Optra has more elbow room, but the City has great headroom and legroom, dsepite being one size smaller. And the City's trunk is unbeatable.

In terms of fuel efficiency, it's no contest. The new ECU gives the Optra decent fuel economy (as opposed to the horrid economy of un-re-programmed pre-facelift Optras), but it's still no match for Honda's 1.3, especially if we're talking AT versus AT here.

In terms of mechanical reliability, there have been some issues with the Optra engine here and elsewhere. These problems seemingly lie with first batch runs, and seem to also affect the new 1.4 Aveo... but these are usually covered under warranty.

The only worry with the City is possible paint and trim problems (not universal, but it is possible to get a lemon from HCPI) and CVT-fluid issues (Early units were mistakenly shipped with regular ATF... run it too hard and it starts to smell like burnt clutch... but this was only with older units, and none of those CVTs have failed... anyway, Honda has finally replaced the wrong fluid in the affected units, and current units are shipped with the correct CVT fluid).

Both the Optra engine issue and the CVT-fluid mix up appear to be isolated to early batches of those cars. Buying either one now shouldn't be troublesome.

Chevrolet offers free labor on all dealership services for two or three years. Nothing to scoff at, since non-warranty and non-insurance jobs can cost thousands in labor.

But in terms of resale, you're shafted with Chevrolet. The fuel and engine problems with first-batch Optras has really killed the market for them secondhand... hence the low asking price for brand new ones. If you're keeping the car for a long while and/or using it till you run it into the ground, it's probably not an issue.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Thanks Niki for a very interesting and in depth information about the 2 brands....Regards

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    Go for the City. 1.5 s na kunin mo. May side airbags pa.

1.5 Chev Optra vs 1.3 Honda City