New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Hi! ...newbie here, but I've been a lurker for the longest time and the posts i've been reading here are very helpful.

I need advice from fellow tsikoteers. I am planning to replace my car ('99 civic vti AT) since pump prices are getting more and more expensive right now. Currently, I'm getting about 7.8km/Li with a stop-and-go city driving with my civic.

My budget is P450k, and I'm thinking of getting a Getz 1.1 GL, but somehow, I am still having reservations on buying a Korean car (regards to resale value, maintenance, etc). I'm thinking if it is worth it to add a couple of thousands more to get a Vios J? If possible, I don't want to significantly stretch my budget (450k plus/minus 10k lang sana) so I'm leaning towards the 1.1 Getz, but I'm thinking that the Getz might not be worth it in the long run (I plan to keep the car for about 5-6 years only).

Hope to get some inputs from fellow tsikoteers on the following:
    1) fuel comsumption of 1.1 Getz and 1.3 Vios on a stop-and-go city driving.
    2) how much discount can you get these cars from the dealers right now? (1.1 Getz SRP: P468k, 1.3 Vios J: P553k)
    3) features (or lack thereof ) and ride comfort comparisons
    4) any input with regards to resale value and maintenace of Korean cars

...I was thinking also of a 2nd hand Jazz i-dsi CVT, but it doesn't seem to fit in my P450k budget, and I don't want to add to my P450k budget if it is for a 2nd hand car.

need help. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    May 2004
    I'm not a vios fan and neither do i like one. But I read in an article yesterday.. inquirer or star yata. vios 1.3 j wins in terms of fuel economy vs gets 1.1 and honda 1.3

imo, i'd rather go for the vios since it has higher resale value and economy. Mas pogi pa set up.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Considering the Getz and Picanto are selling like hotcakes, spare parts may become as easy to get as with the Pride... and hopefully just as cheap. A German survey rated the Picanto as the cheapest car to own and maintain.

A Vios 1.3 would be a good investment if you can come up with the money, though... as resale value of the Getz/Picanto is bound to be kind of low, as they'll be very common secondhand in a few years, and people still have a pro-Toyota bias.

It's a much more driver-oriented car and available upgrades, both cosmetic and performance, are plentiful, and there's a large community of Vios enthusiasts out there.

Personally... I still want a Getz turbodiesel...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    May 2004

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Fifth Gear UK rated the Kia Picanto as an overall economy car winner in one of their recent episodes. Rated items were: price, fuel economy, interior design and ownership image (will you look out of place if you drive up to an expensive place?).

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    I think i'd go for a vios 1.3 e , may promo sila ngayon.. less 30k so lalabas, 580k na lang.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    *homer jay, my family is both a honda civic lover and a proud new owner of a Korean-made hyundai getz. I cant say much about the getz 1.1 bec. we got the CRDi version.

if you're concerned about the brand shift (i.e. from Honda to Hyundai), dont worry bro. Hyundai wont dissappoint you. iba talaga ang build-quality nya ngaun. the fact that a lot of people from the 1st world countries (Europe) are enjoying the getz is already a plus.

resale value is not that much of a concern coz mura naman ang acquisition price ng getz. how low can the resale value be? if you lose 50% of its value, then that's roughly 200k+ lang. but this is highly unlikely unless more than 8 years na sya.

yes, the vios is guaranteed of high resale value but normally, it's not followed. main reason: law of supply and demand. if more and more people are going to dispose the vios in say 3 years from now, chances are they will be competing for the lowest price offer coz of the overwhelming supply. getz is also a victim of this pero you'll have less depreciation coz of the above, low acquisition. best thing, quality pa ang getz ngaun, cheaper to maintain, and of course, fuel-efficient.
    Last edited by oldblue; June 3rd, 2006 at 04:57 PM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    huh? aveo nalang hands down the best.

just kidding :D

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by homer jay
    Hope to get some inputs from fellow tsikoteers on the following:
    1) fuel comsumption of 1.1 Getz and 1.3 Vios on a stop-and-go city driving.
    2) how much discount can you get these cars from the dealers right now? (1.1 Getz SRP: P468k, 1.3 Vios J: P553k)
    3) features (or lack thereof ) and ride comfort comparisons
    4) any input with regards to resale value and maintenace of Korean cars

!
    correct me if I'm wrong ito ba tig 553k na vios j yun pinaka-bare na vios with some missing all-power amenities? like power side mirrors and stuff?

geesh! hindi ako magtitiis sa ganyan tsikot for years for the sake na mataas ang resale value. sometimes, I drive our L300 kung wala driver namin, naasar ako kapag manual ko ni-roll side windows for paying parking fees, tapos aabutin ko yun right side mirror para ayusin yun view.

even my wife nga naiiwan ko sa labas ng L300 at nangagatok na buksan ko daw pinto hahaha. na-i-start ko na car dipa sya nakakapasok. I got so used to power locks.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    if these new hyundai cars still perform great as they do now in the coming years i think resale wont be as low as expected..it can be higher than the vios even!.. ill go with the getz..dont like the vios..or ill get a second hand echo verso..yeah it looks weird but i like high rooflines and the rear legroom wow! hehehe

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
1.1 Hyundai Getz GL vs 1.3 Toyota Vios J