New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Mga sir, advise lang po. We are from tarlac and looking for a used car. We found one, from an online website.the seller of the car is from manila. His asking price seems fair, so we want to have a look at it, and maybe go through with the deal. Since we are not from nearby, we have to go manila to view it. Question is, what are the Things to consider when buying a used car, especially we are from another location pa. I have some questions too, that maybe u guys can enlighten me.
    ^how to do the test drive, since we will be bring our own vehicle pa from tarlac, whats the safe way to do this?
    ^ regarding papers, what are the things to check, since he mentioned , that the papers is not under his name po. And how can we check the car, if it a cleared, and with no LTO alarms?
    ^lets say, all things are ok, so how do we go for the payment po? whats the best way to do the payment?

Guys salamat

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    HTH

-I'm particular with badging, stickers, decals and other nifty details of the car. Halimbawa missing o bali-baliktad ang badge pwedeng na repaint na while the seller is claiming orig paint.

-I look for rust in the more common place like wheel wells, roof sides and running boards. I also look in less common place like door/trunk/bonnet hinges.

-Bring magnets. I use it to scan masilya, pag di dumikit (although hindi mo kelangan idikit baka magasgasan pintura) ibig sabihin masilyado or something yung part na yun. basta hindi sya lata. opkors, hindi to applicable sa plastic bumpers :D

If you are looking at a car and are unshure of the amount of body filler beneath the paint ,this trick works well . Get a rubber refrigerator magnet place it on the areas in question. The low power of the magnet will not stick where excessive body filler is used. In the picture we are showing a magnet over a body filler skim coat
    -Light scratches ay pwede nang palagpasin, deep scratches is a ground for making barat hehehe

-at the engine bay, look for leaks sa valve cover sides, sa distributor area (if it has one), sa master cylinder ng brake and if sa parking ng oto may mga oil marks. Open oil cap and see if the oil is erratic or shaking or is jumping out from it. open radiator if there is rust on waters. that should be a candidate most probably for an overhaul which isnt so costly (on aluminum, steel radiators).

*rev the engine
    a. see if there is black/blueish or white smoke. not a good sign.
    b. pakiramdaman mo ang idling, usual problem among used cars
    c. observe for tremors or excessive engine shaking while revving it, engine support might be giving up.
    d. engine sound, does it sound normal? is there some extra sounds that shouldnt be there? some extra squeakings, rattles etc?
    e. check also if the muffler has holes due to rust. this could cost you precious km/l. ground for bargaining.

*turn the steering wheel lock to lock
    a. notice weight, is it heavy for a power steering car? check PS fluid.
    b. check PS hose, it is pressurize and should spit some fluid if it has leaks as you turn the steering.
    -oil getting into your bushing, cooks it. later on making you replace some rubber bushings if it got soak for a considerable amount of time.
    c. while on full turn, check on boots axle, if it has crack. CV joint might break if it is not repacked with grease.

d. you may also want to shake(?) the car up and down to see if there is excessive movement that might suggest busted shocks
    e. you might also wanna check for leaks to make sure

-check if all power equipment is working. windows, locks side mirrors. also include signal, head and lights, brake lights, wipers, washer.

-gauge lighting, hvac but this is just minor. on the instrumentation be cautious on the lights that warns on the panel. CEL, batt lights shouldnt be 'on' while the engine is on idle.

of course, nothing can substitute to a feel of the car, so dont forget to ask for a test drive.

and another, check on the papers careful.

lastly, wag mag madali. maraming secondhand dyan.

goodluck.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    kung ganyan bumili ka na lang ng brand new

4. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EE100shiro View Post
    kung ganyan bumili ka na lang ng brand new
    of course, pointers lang yun. hindi ka makakakuha ng lahat maayos. but more or less, things to watch out for. anyway, may salitang 'good buy'.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    TS here are my tips:
    - Don't carry cash - bank to bank transaction mas safer for both parties
    - Bring your mechanic to check the car
    - Do test drive but I suggest you leave your vehicle somewhere safe then proceed to the area agreed upon.
    - Meet up in a neutral place as much as possible.
    - Check with LTO if may record yung car (pede naman text lang to know)
    Mahirap na madali ng carjack or holdap (these things do happen so ingats lagi)
    Last edited by Gecko Guy; June 21st, 2012 at 10:49 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the pointers. I'll keep those things in mind.
    Regarding papers, what to check po sir from the owner.
    And about payment, whats the process po?
    And how to get a deed of sale?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    dead of sale dapat dalawa kayo punta sa pagawaan ng papel parang certificate pipirma ka pati si seller may witness signature pa un then punta kayo sa pulis TMG dala ung oto na nabili mo then bigay lagay para tapos kaagad ng 45 minutes then punta kayo sa LTO

8. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Since we are from out of town pa, how to do the payment safely po?? and how to get a change of ownership po? Which one omes in first? any suggestions where to get the deed of sle notarized or certified?

9. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Up lang guys for your advise. =)
    Thanks

Your advise: Steps and procedures for buying used car.