New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    I have been wondering about this for a long time already. What are the reasons why they purchase this type of vehicle? Its price is at the the same range as that of a ladder type SUV or a CUV. In fact the top of the line models are even more expensive. This has always baffled me. Does a mid-sized sedan carry more passengers than that of a compact sedan or a CUV? The ground clearance isn't higher than that of a CUV. Is it more fun to drive? Is it more reliable? I don't know where else I could post this question so I just posted it in this sub-forum.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Mid sized sedan are designed for comfort as well as prestige. You might think that ladder type SUV's has that prestige too, but definitely it cant match the comfort a mid sized sedan offers. That is why more executives choose these vehicles as compared to ladder type SUV's.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Iba pa rin ang angas ng sedan

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Why do some people in the Philippines buy cars? Why not jeepney nalang? It carries more passengers than cars, has higher ground clearance than most cars too. If you're the type that likes thrill, it's also more fun to drive since you never know when your brakes will stop working. Siyempre, more reliable din since it uses engines from the 80s that still run until now.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Just my 2 cents...

1. Mid size car is far more comfortable whether seated in front or back (driven or driver use)
    2. For out of town, as long as its a paved road... its a better companion (again for comfort and long drives)
    3. Its quite fast (2.4 engines and above, esp. 6 cylinders, i dont see any 2.0 liter mid size cars anymore)... very good and stable on long drives/hiways
    4. Better suited for aging people (e.g. lolos/lolas)
    5. its a 5 seater (the only advantage of CUV would be luggage space and ride height, though mid size cars have large trunks as well)
    6. Because its a sedan (VS CUV)... sound proofing is better
    7. If you compare the mid size car VS CUV... a high spec CUV (2.4 engine of CUV as well) is about the same price of a 2.4engine mid size car... so I find it about the same price... RAV4 reaches 1.9M

Of course if you will look at it in a practical side, CUV and ladder frame SUVs are much better on a practical note, more versatile.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cta2 View Post
    4. Better suited for aging people (e.g. lolos/lolas)
    The seat height of the CUVs (Rav4, CRV, etc) are actually better for aging hips because they're a bit higher than the seats on normal cars and the oldies don't need to bend too much to sit down or stand up.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    agree on the ingress egress... but once seated... personal space of a mid size car is better (wider, longer)... very well suited for long drives... for aging muscles :-)... actually pang daddiyo nga rather than lolos, lolas...

was also choosing between CRV or Camry ... chose the Camry... its really bigger for passengers

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

8. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    +1 to all replied. to summarize, some of the car owners hate CUV....

9. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jvnj View Post
    Mid sized sedan are designed for comfort as well as prestige. You might think that ladder type SUV's has that prestige too, but definitely it cant match the comfort a mid sized sedan offers. That is why more executives choose these vehicles as compared to ladder type SUV's.
    Agree... the comfort ng sedan vs a cuv much more to a ladder frame suv are worlds apart. target market is also those who have already proven themselves financially and would like to reward themselves everytime they are on the road going to and from their workplace.
    I guess statistics of camry's and fortuners sold last year really tells it all with a sales ratio of 1:39. buyers of mid-size sedans are those with extra money or those company executives with car benefits. I'll definitely buy a camry, If I already have a sub-compact hatchback (yaris) and a midsize ladder frame suv (fortuner). Besides, a typical proud (arrogant) pinoy would not buy a "common" car which 39 of his neighbors or friends already own.

Camry - 478 units
    Fortuner 4x4 - 1,134 units
    Fortuner 4x2 - 17,509 units

10. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Why do some people in the Philippines buy cars? Why not jeepney nalang? It carries more passengers than cars, has higher ground clearance than most cars too. If you're the type that likes thrill, it's also more fun to drive since you never know when your brakes will stop working. Siyempre, more reliable din since it uses engines from the 80s that still run until now.
    In the Philippine culture, you get more respect driving a private "pogi" vehicle than the "mass transport" jeepney. Try driving a Camry and a Jeepney in an exclusive subdivision and we already know the answer who gets a salute with a smile from the guard on duty and who gets a lot of questioning with a smirk.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast