New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Hello to all tsikoteers, this is my first post so everyone bear with me.
    My family have decided to purchase a USED CAR for weekend use only as my normal daily driving to office is taken cared of by my motorcycle (15min. ride only to office one way).

I've checked various ads and I have a slight idea now where my 300k to 400k would take me when looking for that FAMILY CAR.

Here are my limitations:
    1. Budget: 300k to 400k
    2. Fuel: DIESEL (para cheaper and longer mileage)
    3. Transmission: MANUAL (my preference)
    4. Capacity: min. of 7 persons
    5. Current Choices: UTILITY VEHICLES LIKE,
      • MITSUBISHI ADVENTURE (2001 to 2005)
      • ISUZU CROSSWIND (2001 to 2003)
    So all experience tsikoteers who may have read this thread... please help me with your inputs ON WHAT THINGS TO EXPECT /INSPECT AND WHAT THINGS TO CONSIDER when buying a used vehicle, assuming both cars were advertised directly from the owner/user:

Isuzu Crosswind (XT/ XTi/ XUV/ XUVi)
    year: 2001 to 2003
    mileage: 100,000 km to 130,000 km

Mitsubishi Adventure (GLS/GLX)
    year: 2003 to 2006

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    These are very durable vehicles that will serve you very well for many years to come even if you don't give very much attention to them. No maselan attitude from then when it comes to changing fluids or dirty diesel. On the downside though, the crash structure is very bad and there are no safety features besides the seatbelts. They're smoky, loud and slow. Between the two though, I'd get the Crosswind since it, at least, has a direct injection engine, uses timing gear (as compared to timing belt in the Adventure), and looks better (subjective).

Are these two the only vehicles you're looking at? I suggest you also look at the same-era Kia Carnival. It seats just as many people (depending on the seating configuration of that particular unit), is much more powerful (135hp 2.9L direct injection turbo intercooler), is much more comfortable and can be had for a cheaper price. Since you're looking for M/T's then there shouldn't be a problem, since the main defect of this particular model is its A/T.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    These are very durable vehicles that will serve you very well for many years to come even if you don't give very much attention to them. No maselan attitude from then when it comes to changing fluids or dirty diesel. On the downside though, the crash structure is very bad and there are no safety features besides the seatbelts. They're smoky, loud and slow. Between the two though, I'd get the Crosswind since it, at least, has a direct injection engine, uses timing gear (as compared to timing belt in the Adventure), and looks better (subjective).

Are these two the only vehicles you're looking at? I suggest you also look at the same-era Kia Carnival. It seats just as many people (depending on the seating configuration of that particular unit), is much more powerful (135hp 2.9L direct injection turbo intercooler), is much more comfortable and can be had for a cheaper price. Since you're looking for M/T's then there shouldn't be a problem, since the main defect of this particular model is its A/T.
    Thanks sir GTI for the share.
    Sa ngayon ni-limit ko na lang yung choices ko sa dalawang dinosaurs na ito, kasi yung engine nila mukhang maasahan at cheaper to maintain. I might consider also your suggestion on the "Kia Carnival"...
    FC wise...gusto ko yung 12km/liter ng crosswind, yung sa adventure diesel somewhere 9km/liter.
    For now, I guess Im stuck with the two muna given the budget that we have kaya im preparing myself ika nga on the things to check for the given
    model and year ng Vehicles na ito. Siguro ganito mangyayari sa checklist ko when I go to visit my prospective sellers:

a. engine - expected na nabuksan na pag ganitong age na??
    b. cooling system - expected din na nareplace na yung fans or yung radiator na repair na??
    c. power steering - expected din na na-repair na yung ibang parts??
    d. power windows - expected din na nagloloko controls??
    e. electrical systems and lights - expected na magpapalit na ako in a few months??
    f. body, floors, hood - expected na faded na yung paint?? madami ng gasgas??

a. expected ba na lahat ng parts at ganitong age ng vehicle are still good for another 100,000km???or am I dreaming hahaha.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by im_mblue View Post
    Thanks sir GTI for the share.
    Sa ngayon ni-limit ko na lang yung choices ko sa dalawang dinosaurs na ito, kasi yung engine nila mukhang maasahan at cheaper to maintain. I might consider also your suggestion on the "Kia Carnival"...
    FC wise...gusto ko yung 12km/liter ng crosswind, yung sa adventure diesel somewhere 9km/liter.
    For now, I guess Im stuck with the two muna given the budget that we have kaya im preparing myself ika nga on the things to check for the given
    model and year ng Vehicles na ito. Siguro ganito mangyayari sa checklist ko when I go to visit my prospective sellers:

a. engine - expected na nabuksan na pag ganitong age na??
    b. cooling system - expected din na nareplace na yung fans or yung radiator na repair na??
    c. power steering - expected din na na-repair na yung ibang parts??
    d. power windows - expected din na nagloloko controls??
    e. electrical systems and lights - expected na magpapalit na ako in a few months??
    f. body, floors, hood - expected na faded na yung paint?? madami ng gasgas??

a. expected ba na lahat ng parts at ganitong age ng vehicle are still good for another 100,000km???or am I dreaming hahaha.
    - IMO mag-crosswind ka na lang boss since 2nd hand yang hinahanap mo. Common problem din kasi is the glow plug problem ng 4d56. At least direct injection na yan gaya nga ng sabi ni GTi. And the timing chain is better than the timing belt. just my 2 cents..

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hindi naman siguro ganun kalala ang condition ng mga kotseng iyon. There are bound to be some well-maintained units out there. Try looking for a well maintained Crosswind XTO since its fully featured already and isn't as heavy-laden as the XUV. But still... these cars are not only smoky, loud and slow. The ride is choppy and don't even think of fitting full size adults in the 3rd row. Even in our Trooper (which also has side facing 3rd row benches) only a person with a maximum height of around 5"6 can seat properly without having to stoop his head.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Go for the crosswind as it's a little more durable than the Adventure. Plus, maintenance is so damn cheap, if you know how to change oils and air filters yourself, then you wouldn't have to pay for the labor.

XTi is not available for the 2001-2003 variants. I suggest you get the XUV unless you would really want to have the added entertainment system that the XUVi offers.

Just bare the comfort though since the crosswind is really suckish at idle. It vibrates harsher than the adventure and it's also slow. Slower than the adventure that you're comparing it to.

Looks-wise is then again, subjective. But for me, the XUV 2001-2003 looks way better than the '03-'06 advie. Mas macho. Mas tigas. :naughty2:

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Hindi naman siguro ganun kalala ang condition ng mga kotseng iyon. There are bound to be some well-maintained units out there. Try looking for a well maintained Crosswind XTO since its fully featured already and isn't as heavy-laden as the XUV. But still... these cars are not only smoky, loud and slow. The ride is choppy and don't even think of fitting full size adults in the 3rd row. Even in our Trooper (which also has side facing 3rd row benches) only a person with a maximum height of around 5"6 can seat properly without having to stoop his head.
    hehehe, surely wala sa pamilya namin ang taller than 5-6"...ako na ata pinaka tallest
    hahaha...but I'll be the driver then kaya hindi ako uupo dun sa likod...malamang one
    of my kids dun.
    Definitely sir, Im going to find the lesser evil siguro among those crosswinds that I will
    encounter...baka may matyempuhan akong pinagsawaan ng mayaman at ginawa lang
    pandisplay sa bahay dahil sumakit ang likod sa tagtag...hehehe

With regards to choppy ride, well, I can live with that, so will be my wife and my kids
    kasi laking motorcycle sila at pag uwi naman sa province sa lumang owner ko sila sumasakay...
    So less priority namin yung comfort, what would count more to us would be going from point
    A to point B, my wife has her own motorcycle, and my kids when they were only two ride with
    us...hehehe of course with complete safety gears...
    I started riding my motorcycle when I had a big trauma dun sa owner jeep ko way back 1994
    pa, it was really plagued with engine deffects, underchasis, and all my savings na pang gimik
    sana nung binata pa ako ay naubos dun...so lessons learned, when I got married I opted to ride
    motorcycle going to office since 1998 and upto now hahaha.... yung mga kasabayan ko sa
    opisina napapangiti na lang sa akin dahil sa tinatagal ko na sa trabaho silang lahat nagsipag-loan na ng kotse, samantalang ako ay motor pa rin...

Then again, even if I have gotten accustomed to riding my bike everyday, it never escapes my mind that I would go back to riding a four wheeler just so we could enjoy the travel and company together with the complete members of my family...and NOW IS THAT TIME....haaaay.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Go for the crosswind as it's a little more durable than the Adventure. Plus, maintenance is so damn cheap, if you know how to change oils and air filters yourself, then you wouldn't have to pay for the labor.

XTi is not available for the 2001-2003 variants. I suggest you get the XUV unless you would really want to have the added entertainment system that the XUVi offers.

Just bare the comfort though since the crosswind is really suckish at idle. It vibrates harsher than the adventure and it's also slow. Slower than the adventure that you're comparing it to.

Looks-wise is then again, subjective. But for me, the XUV 2001-2003 looks way better than the '03-'06 advie. Mas macho. Mas tigas. :naughty2:
    Sir Renzo, thanks sa reply sir...malamang I would be doing the oil change myself, i dont mind doing the dirty work hehehe...
    Yung sa entertainment system...well, its not really my priority because my
    family enjoys more the kulitan at ingay na galing sa mga kuwento o hilik
    namin...but if there would be units na matsambahan then, why not di ba
    basta wag lang akong itirik in the middle of nowhere dahil sa katandaan
    na ng unit hahahaha...reliability na lang ako kesa sa features.
    Personally, I really find the Crosswind more appealing kumpara sa Adventure... but adventure is my second choice though pag wala akong
    matyempuhan within my budget.

9. Join Date
    May 2010
    Sir, why not include the Toyota Revo on your choices???

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by myk384 View Post
    Sir, why not include the Toyota Revo on your choices???
    Revo did come across my mind, but then im not so familiar with its diesel
    engine as i am more inclined with the diesel engine due to lower fuel cost.
    What is appealing with the 4jai of crosswind and the 4d56 of adventure is
    that there are many knowlegeable mechanic to ask around and parts are
    found easily in shops...plus phase out na rin kasi ang Revo and my worry
    would be the replacement parts later...anyway, I'll check also your suggestion
    myk...maybe the last issues of Revo would be worth looking at.
    Pero during the last few years before they phased out Revo, nagrelease pa
    ba sila ng diesel nun time na yun...diba their last unit for revo was 2004 ba?please correct me if I am wrong.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
What to Expect and inspect in buying a 2001 Adventure or 2001 Crosswind