New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    I'm a new driver, just learned to drive weeks ago and I'm about to buy my 1st car. And as expected i know nothing about cars! I'm considering to buy a Toyota since i have a friend who works for them and I might be able to score a discount. I want unbiased opinion though. My main consideration is fuel efficiency coz if it's not that different between the two, i'd go for the yaris, just so I don't look like everyone else.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Looking like everyone else has its advantages too. IMHO Fuel efficiency is a very subjective issue, because it is in part dependent to how you as the driver, operate/drive your vehicle.

Vios or Yaris? We have a 2010 1.3E AT in the garage, apart from being the only Toyota in the household, it serves as the daily run-about of my wife. Yes, it does have a number of shortcomings, like the aforementioned seats, etc. etc. But it can also carry 4 grown adults and all of their luggage (in the trunk), three pushcarts worth of groceries, carry boxes of floortiles, and other assorted things. And that rev-happy 1.3 litre engine is not complaining.

Yes, our Vios is a workhorse. I've already replaced its smallish 175/65 series tyres with 185/70's, if just to gain added riding height, in time for the rainy season (floods).

The Yaris looks good, and considering that its powered by a 1.5 litre engine, should be quite zippy too. I can only imagine that ergonomics wise, it would be on a similar level with the Vios. Your thread sounds like you're already decided on the Yaris. But before you sign the dotted line, I suggest;

1. You take both cars/models for a test drive.
    2. Consider your future requirements/needs. (starting a family perhaps? load requirements, practicality)
    3. Re-saleability. (A Vios is much more easier to "re-sell", than a Yaris, IMHO)

Congratulations on your first car!
    Last edited by lowslowbenz; June 4th, 2012 at 01:10 PM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Yaris definitely. Fuel efficiency is roughly similar. In AT form, mas matipid pa nga yung 1.5 Yaris sa 1.3 Vios. Pag MT, mas matipid yung Vios by about 1 km/L.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Isnt Yaris and Vios is of similar make except that one is a hatchback and imported?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you're the only passenger most of the time, Yaris. It's quite a good package for it's price if you ask me (1.5L engine, 15 inch alloys). You're considering the a/t variants for either?

6. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    I'm thinking manual because majority of the people i asked suggested i'd better get manual since i know how to drive it anyway. And yes I'm the only passenger most of the time. Thanks for all of your answers!

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Since you don't need much space, Yaris na. Its more stylish than the Vios and the 1.5L engine coupled with M/T makes it a pretty fast yet fuel efficient car. But how much is your budget? Are you not open to other cars?

8. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    My cap would be 800k

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Ayaw mo ng Elantra 1.6M/T? Very nice car. Definitely of a higher caliber than the Vios and the Yaris. You basically get something like a 7/8 scale Sonata. Not to mention its a lot roomier and more comfortable than both of your choices.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by pemberley View Post
    I'm a new driver, just learned to drive weeks ago and I'm about to buy my 1st car. And as expected i know nothing about cars! I'm considering to buy a Toyota since i have a friend who works for them and I might be able to score a discount. I want unbiased opinion though. My main consideration is fuel efficiency coz if it's not that different between the two, i'd go for the yaris, just so I don't look like everyone else.
    my friend owns an A/T Yaris. lakas daw lumaklak ng gasolina... average nya is 8 kpl lang, mixed city/highway.
    my sister naman owns a manual Vios..... average FC nya is at 13 kpl, mixed city/highway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vios 1.3 or Yaris?