New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Is it a good or bad car to buy? I know its not very economical but in other aspects (reliability, maintenance, spare parts) how is this car? Looks, price, and performance this car is great i think.

Btw this will be a daily driver. Short drives mostly around 10km roundtrip. I wont be the driver as well. Im just hunting for a friend who wants a sporty car.

Would it be better to buy a lynx gsi and have it setup with rs bodykits? Since itll be a daily driver not a race car. Is the gsi fuel efficient? And again the question about parts and maintenance
    Last edited by Mikemike07; May 29th, 2013 at 03:52 AM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemike07 View Post
    Is it a good or bad car to buy? I know its not very economical but in other aspects (reliability, maintenance, spare parts) how is this car? Looks, price, and performance this car is great i think.

Btw this will be a daily driver. Short drives mostly around 10km roundtrip. I wont be the driver as well. Im just hunting for a friend who wants a sporty car.

Would it be better to buy a lynx gsi and have it setup with rs bodykits? Since itll be a daily driver not a race car. Is the gsi fuel efficient? And again the question about parts and maintenance
    Paging Niky!

Almost bought one last year, because I want a sporty, fuel efficient (for a 2.0L car), nice handling, practical, fully kitted 4 door sedan but changed priorities and got a van instead. I'm still eyeing this model though. I hope in God's time, I could get one.

Parts shouldn't be a problem. Be it casa, Banawe or Evangelista, a lot of shops are carrying parts for it. It shouldn't cost much as well having owned Mazdas before. Btw, it is technically a Mazda Familia circa 2000s model. So enjoy the low resale and sporty potentials of this car.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemike07 View Post

Based on Niky's experience.... no, it is not a good car... more of a labor of love.

CONS:
    - soft gears in the transmission - results in increased rate of wear & tear of the gear teeth. End result, you will need to bring down the tranny to replace the worn out gears. Plus side, there are replacement gear sets with hardened teeth to handle more power.
    - burns engine oil when driven at the limit - results in loss of engine oil even in a single drive which in turn can cause terminal engine damage.
    - engine oil pan shape ( not 100% sure, ask Niky on this) - results in temporary oil starvation when the car is cornering hard too long.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the replies guys!

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    This will probably depend on what sort of driving your friend has in mind. Are we talking track days from time to time? Regular 200km/h out of town trips? Or just merely a moderately fast and well kitted ride for puttering to the office? For the last one, the Lynx would be an excellent choice. If your friend is very much into racing and modification, maybe he should be looking at a Civic M/T instead.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    No track day plans for now. Maybe that will change once its owned. After telling things about this car, naexcite na rin sya to drive a relatively powerful car. Since parts and maintenance is good i think this will be the purchase. But it still depends on the parents. Im excited as well since ill get to drive it too. Hehe.