New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I got bored reading the Camry article by de los Reyes and instead read Dong Magsajo's much more entertaining Backseat Driver, "Counterflow, mutant powers and all that crap"....

Both articles are at the Philippine Star.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 12th, 2006 at 08:15 AM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I haven't read any of their articles, so I'm in no position to gauge their writings one way or otherwise. Do they have any articles online we can glance at?
    * Jun: are you prepared to be amazed?:pcwhack: oh well, you can check out the reviews of said "local motoring gurus" in the motoring section of major philippine dailies' website (i.e. www.inq7.net , www.philstar.com , www.mb.com.ph , www.manilatimes.net , etc.).

as they say, drive safely & happy motoring hehehe :puke::car:

edit: ooops... napuntahan mo na pala philippine star hehehe :boring: ba?
    Last edited by slamtaz; September 12th, 2006 at 08:32 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    e mga pre papaano namang tong new breed of car shows like those in channel 9 and studio 23??? Sa tingin ko kasi hindi rin sila objective kasi puro chicks lang inaatupag nila... kumabaga gumawa sila ng show para maka-score sa mga chicks... hehehehe

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Para naman puro eye candy yun.

My standard for an automotive TV show is still MOTORWEEK by Maryland Public Television. They used to show it locally. My uncle in Canada sends me VHS copies of the show.

Sobrang simple lang ng format. Test the cars, show the strengths and weakness, ok na.

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/

Sample video (Kia Optima Road Test): http://mpt.org/motorweek/video/roadt...0a_flash.shtml

Motorweek Isuzu Vehicross Road Test:

Hindi ba kaya ng local shows iyan? Wala namang ginamit na special effects, ha.
    Last edited by OTEP; September 12th, 2006 at 12:32 PM.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

basta, kung may gagawa ng ganyang motorshow locally, count me in... iba parin ang talagang may passion sa cars kaysa sa journalist lang.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    did someone say Aida Sevilla? Yung mga "reviews" nya eh, parang CATALOG lang! I can write a better review!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I think I did... blech... horrible writing. I could do better in my sleep, typing with one finger.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    *OTEP

Oo nga maganda nga tong show na to... super objective to the point you are learning new things... like:

1) I guess this is the 1st to have a V6 engine for a cute-ute... akala ko Rav4 e...
    2) That explains why madaming converted vehi-cross dito galing japan kasi pwede mo pala isalpak ang Trooper dashboard...

IMO, ok din na kapag nag review ng engine bay ng sasakyan, bigyan din ng opinion kung madali ba magpalit at magcheck ng engine oil, brake fluid, and the likes... meron kasi mga kotse ang hirap gawin ang basic car maintenance because of the arrangements of those that needs to be checked...

And Also, maganda rin kung may estimated cost sila ng mga replaceable items like tires, timing belt, tune-ups... kasi madami sa mga bumibili na... oo they can buy the vehicle... pero are they sure they can maintain it???

IMO, motorweek + engine bay critic + maintenance costs na show yun ang da best na auto review show!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Motorweek has a maintenance segment called Goss' Garage where the host is a real auto tech (Pat Goss). Unlike in local shows na ang host ay yung mahilig lang makikain sa mga press launch.

Ito ang link sa Goss' Garage online version (madaming tips). http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/

25 years and counting na ang Motorweek sa TV. A feat considering they are just coming from a small public TV station in Maryland and not some big network.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
    Topping my list of dumbos is this Ron delos Reyes and Rey Butch Gamboa. They even had the gall to put up a group, Society of Phil. Motoring Journalists (SPMJ), which they add to their names, ala graduate degree. It really pisses me off, kasi kung magsalita, daig pa si Jimmy Santos. They're really better read than seen or heard. I doubt if they even know what they're talking about when writing those so-called reviews

I dont like these guys too hehehe. parang patrick and spongbob mga yan.

Anyway, I think car reviews by anyone even journalists are as good as anyone's test drive from the dealer. there's no right or wrong opinion. The thing is, if you say something about something its always ideal to back it up with data and numbers. If we say its fast and has good acceleration, then back it up with numbers... and do it in a way that is accepted by all - like an industry standard. dyno it or do a lap time in BRC... not sure if there is a standard way testing acceleration like an ISO 9000 acceleration test ek ek

its like when NHTSA says a car is safe, then it is SAFE! they literally crash the car, they perform actual crash tests that comply to industry standards and laws. they put dummies and wire them thru a series of computers and simulation programs. they have engineers and analysts that interpret these data. so unlike car reviews in magazines and shows which are opinionated in nature, NHTSA does back up their **** with numbers and professional experience.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
The truth about automotive reviews,...