New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    BTW, I have owned the 92 B13 Sentra Super Saloon ECCS and 96 B14 Sentra Super Touring.

For the B14 Sentra, one major advantage now is "cheap" customization using surplus body parts (bumpers, front grill) and aftermarket replacement clear-lens style headlights. One big advantage of the clear lens type headlights (and the associated front signal lights) is it makes the Sentra look "fresher" or newer.

Here is a picture of my B14 Sentra Super Touring before I sold it.

Lots of mods went into that car. Including a SR20DE engine, custom exhaust, dyno tuning, full suspension upgrade, carbon fiber hood & trunk, etc.
    Sleeper pala Sentra mo, GH.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mondymondy View Post
    Hi guys!

I am planning to buy a second hand car and my budget would be 200k pesos. I have narrowed down my choices between a Toyota Corolla (Lovelife 98 - 2000 GLI or 95 - 97 bigbody GLI) and a Nissan Sentra (95 - 99 Series 3/4 or 2000 - 2002 Exalta).

I really want a fuel efficient and a low maintenance one because I'm a newbie driver who doesn't have experience tinkering a car. I hope you guys can help me out!
    I just realized your budget is 200K.

You could actually buy a 2004-2006 N16 Sentra GX 1.3L M/T for between 190K to 230K. It won't be fast but the engine is EFI.

1998 B14 Sentra Super Saloon 1.6 M/T would go for around 120K to 140K

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Sleeper pala Sentra mo, GH.
    Sleeper!?! ... far from it. The day I bought and drove it from Makati to Q.Ave, I got challenged twice on EDSA by two Honda Civics to a street race. Flooring the gas pedal, I showed them that this car has the go-power to match the looks.

At the mod level when I sold it, this car eats Civic SiRs as midnight snacks since I have raced a few of them during my midnight sorties driving this car.

It really looks "angas" with the carbon fiber hood and trunk-lid. The gram-lite style alloy wheels and advan neova tires also show serious upgrades. I toned down the "angas" look a bit by installing my custom free-flow muffler with a simple two inch straight exhaust pipe. Never liked big exhaust tips anyway.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Sleeper!?! ... far from it. The day I bought and drove it from Makati to Q.Ave, I got challenged twice on EDSA by two Honda Civics to a street race. Flooring the gas pedal, I showed them that this car has the go-power to match the looks.

At the mod level when I sold it, this car eats Civic SiRs as midnight snacks since I have raced a few of them during my midnight sorties driving this car.

It really looks "angas" with the carbon fiber hood and trunk-lid. The gram-lite style alloy wheels and advan neova tires also show serious upgrades. I toned down the "angas" look a bit by installing my custom free-flow muffler with a simple two inch straight exhaust pipe. Never liked big exhaust tips anyway.
    Oh. I didn't see the rear end.

Your car's way far from others, though.

Those who run tintless. Those who upgrade the seats to bride ..... copies. :hysterical: People who color their car to candy red tone. Nyahahaha. And install several CF stuff, even the gas lids are turned into CF's.

SiR's ? Hmmm ... how many HP does your car have, if you don't mind.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Oh. I didn't see the rear end.

Your car's way far from others, though.

Those who run tintless. Those who upgrade the seats to bride ..... copies. :hysterical: People who color their car to candy red tone. Nyahahaha. And install several CF stuff, even the gas lids are turned into CF's.
    My car: original seats, original blue paint, tinted glass (different tone for front and rear door windows), no tint in front windshield. Heck, even orig steering wheel. Orig Super Touring body kit minus rear spoiler (had it removed when the carbon fiber trunk was installed).

SiR's ? Hmmm ... how many HP does your car have, if you don't mind.
    Between 153 and 155 whp from its last dyno session (plus more torque than the honda b16 can ever develop unassisted). And this car is light.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 15th, 2011 at 04:40 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    I just realized your budget is 200K.

You could actually buy a 2004-2006 N16 Sentra GX 1.3L M/T for between 190K to 230K. It won't be fast but the engine is EFI.

1998 B14 Sentra Super Saloon 1.6 M/T would go for around 120K to 140K
    2004 - 2006 Sentra?? Seriously * 200k??? Wow!!! Maybe the 2004 models I saw in Sulit are a bit overpriced..

Most 2004 models I see in Sulit is priced at an average of 225k - 235k, and 2006 ones are priced 330 the least..

That's why I am really interested in the b14 series 3 since you don't recommend the fuel efficiency of series 4 (98 - 00 models).

I'm not after the looks. My top priority is a fuel efficient car.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    2004 - 2006 Sentra?? Seriously * 200k??? Wow!!! Maybe the 2004 models I saw in Sulit are a bit overpriced..

Most 2004 models I see in Sulit is priced at an average of 225k - 235k, and 2006 ones are priced 330 the least..
    The prices posted is higher because of the margin for negotiations. You can knock off as much as 20% (sometimes even more) before buying.

So a car with a posted price of P225k might be finally sold at P190k or even P180k if you negotiate right.

That's why I am really interested in the b14 series 3 since you don't recommend the fuel efficiency of series 4 (98 - 00 models).

I'm not after the looks. My top priority is a fuel efficient car.
    I am not recommending the 98-00 Sentra Exalta units but the others would be fine.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    The prices posted is higher because of the margin for negotiations. You can knock off as much as 20% (sometimes even more) before buying.

So a car with a posted price of P225k might be finally sold at P190k or even P180k if you negotiate right.

I am not recommending the 98-00 Sentra Exalta units but the others would be fine.
    Thank you very much Sir GH. I really appreciate your help! If you guys, let's say have 150 - 200k, what would you buy?

A 95 - 97 Nissan Sentra Series 3? Or 2002 - 2004 Nissan Sentra GX?

Assumming the previous owners have taken good care of both cars.

I would appreciate all your inputs guys! I really want to buy the car that will be the most worth for my hard earned money.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thank you very much Sir GH. I really appreciate your help! If you guys, let's say have 150 - 200k, what would you buy?

A 95 - 97 Nissan Sentra Series 3? Or 2002 - 2004 Nissan Sentra GX?

Assumming the previous owners have taken good care of both cars.

I would appreciate all your inputs guys! I really want to buy the car that will be the most worth for my hard earned money.

Choosing between a 13-15 year old car or a 6-8 year old car. I'll put my money on the 6-8 year old car if I would be using it for basic transport duties where running costs and dependability is more important.

If I was going to choose a car to be a toy-car (modifications for speed & performance) the B14 Sentra would be the preferred platform because it's cheap to buy, lightweight and parts are still plentiful. "Toy-cars" dont have to be practical.

BUT if you want a slight mix of dependability & fun, the 95-98 Sentra Super Touring or GTS models aren't too bad IF the previous owner has truly taken good care of it. Good place to start looking for such is the local Sentra clubs. The current owner has to move on with his life (kids or work) and his beloved ride needs to be replaced with a more practical vehicle (AUV, SUV, VAN) for the needs.

Just remember that even with the best care, these are just machines and they were designed only to last a certain number of years. Parts that normally don't fail will start having problems. This is why I will strongly suggest the less older car as your primary option.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 15th, 2011 at 04:54 PM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Choosing between a 13-15 year old car or a 6-8 year old car. I'll put my money on the 6-8 year old car if I would be using it for basic transport duties where running costs and dependability is more important.

If I was going to choose a car to be a toy-car (modifications for speed & performance) the B14 Sentra would be the preferred platform because it's cheap to buy, lightweight and parts are still plentiful. "Toy-cars" dont have to be practical.

BUT if you want a slight mix of dependability & fun, the 95-98 Sentra Super Touring or GTS models aren't too bad IF the previous owner has truly taken good care of it. Good place to start looking for such is the local Sentra clubs. The current owner has to move on with his life (kids or work) and his beloved ride needs to be replaced with a more practical vehicle (AUV, SUV, VAN) for the needs.

Just remember that even with the best care, these are just machines and they were designed only to last a certain number of years. Parts that normally don't fail will start having problems. This is why I will strongly suggest the less older car as your primary option.
    Ahh.. I guess 6 - 8 year old cars are more reliable than 13 - 15 ones. Thanks for your advice sir GH! I'll keep all the things you said in mind!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Toyota Corolla VS. Nissan Sentra (for a second hand car) Enlighten me please!