New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Good Evening tsikooters,

I'm a freshmen college student. My dad is planning to buy me a sedan for my daily ride to school and coding car niya the same time. We do own a Grand Starex, pero masyado malaki ito kung ikaw lang mag-isa.

We're looking on Toyota Corolla 1.6 G M/T and Hyundai Elantra 1.6GL M/T.

Alam ko naman po na madaming genius dito pag dating sa car. Ano po F/c ng both vehicles? Tsaka ano po ang common na sakit nila?

Thank you in advance!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Both can get around 10 km/L in moderate city driving.

Sa Altis, common problems are - A-pillar rattles and a stubborn trunk release lever. I had these issues but they were quickly fixed with a trip to the casa.

No idea about Elantra problems since I don't own one. My friend though had suspension problems in his less-than-a-year-old Elantra, but I think it's a isolated case.

Between the two, I'd get an Elantra, change its rims, and add foglamps.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Ano ang gusto mo. At the very end, try to satisfy that need of "what you want".

Better yet, test drive both of them and see kung ano masgusto mo. Why a manual car? Unless you're actually quite comfortable with a manual, paying extra for an automatic seems like a very sensible "investment" while driving around the metropolis.

Fuel consumption won't vary much. You may get differing opinions but their consumption won't stray away. It's not like you're pitting a V6 engine versus an inline-4 where the displacement difference alone is staggering. 1.6L versus 1.6L? Get the one you can get the cheapest. Use the remainder as gasoline money. Better yet, just stop driving like a madman and learn how to cruise.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I prefer the Altis. It looks like a car. LOL! :D

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    With the 1.6 Altis, why not consider the lower variant E if you're getting a manual transmission model? There's a good price difference and what the G has notably over the E are the front fog lamps, split folding rear seats, and the electronic controls for the a/c system. Most i know who get the G variant do so because it's has an automatic transmission option.