New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    We are really in a process of evaluating what to buy between the two, both ranging to our budget of 400k - 450k for a 2nd hand car.
    Sana merong mag share ng personal owner experience, cons and pros.
    And what issues that we need to watch out before buying a unit, lalong lalo na yung madalas na sira kaya benebenta ito ng 1st owner.
    Hope you can help us decide, lalong lalo na yung unit owner.
    TIA

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    May 2019
    What made you choose those two particular cars? You probably know that parts from those brands might be harder and bit expensive to get compared to their Japanese counterparts.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentos View Post
    We are really in a process of evaluating what to buy between the two, both ranging to our budget of 400k - 450k for a 2nd hand car.
    Sana merong mag share ng personal owner experience, cons and pros.
    And what issues that we need to watch out before buying a unit, lalong lalo na yung madalas na sira kaya benebenta ito ng 1st owner.
    Hope you can help us decide, lalong lalo na yung unit owner.
    TIA

I doubt your budget will get you the year model that you are looking for. Probably add a couple years more in age.

We have a 2007 Santa Fe. And its currently my daily driver. Good car. Performance and handling are good. Absolutely no black smoke, big kick when burying the throttle, sedan like handling characteristics. Fuel consumption is decent enough. Suspension, while comfy, is not as durable as the Japanese. Have people sit on the 3rd row and see if it immediately hunkers down. That would be the bump stoppers, and if you're unlucky, also the shocks. Watch out for any odd sounds while going through different road surfaces and angles. Stab links are often the culprit. Easiest to detect would be the engine and tranny supports. Vibration of any sort while running is often indicative of busted supports. Recognized "sakit" of this model would be the in-tank fuel pump. Some of the lines tend to get disconnected in the long run causing it to stall when the fuel level gets below 1/4. Some do DIY reconnecting of the detached lines. I replaced the entire pump for peace of mind. Oh, and if the roof leaks during rainy season, it may be the that the seals on the roof rack have deteriorated. Resealing with silicon will do the trick.

This may be a long list, and there may be more. But no car is without its flaws, especially at this age. And I am quite willing to live with these.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I owned a 2009 sta fe. Check the serpentine belt assembly. If there is any "kalampag" during idle then the belt, idler and tensioner may be due for replacement. This can be very problematic if not replaced as it can damage the ac compressor and water pump bearings.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave24/7 View Post
    What made you choose those two particular cars? You probably know that parts from those brands might be harder and bit expensive to get compared to their Japanese counterparts.
    It's the ground clearance and FC, as per my partial research it averages 10km/L sa city driving.
    That is why, we are looking for owners review what to avoid or look into para ma reduce ang malaking gastusan in terms of spare parts.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    I doubt your budget will get you the year model that you are looking for. Probably add a couple years more in age.

We have a 2007 Santa Fe. And its currently my daily driver. Good car. Performance and handling are good. Absolutely no black smoke, big kick when burying the throttle, sedan like handling characteristics. Fuel consumption is decent enough. Suspension, while comfy, is not as durable as the Japanese. Have people sit on the 3rd row and see if it immediately hunkers down. That would be the bump stoppers, and if you're unlucky, also the shocks. Watch out for any odd sounds while going through different road surfaces and angles. Stab links are often the culprit. Easiest to detect would be the engine and tranny supports. Vibration of any sort while running is often indicative of busted supports. Recognized "sakit" of this model would be the in-tank fuel pump. Some of the lines tend to get disconnected in the long run causing it to stall when the fuel level gets below 1/4. Some do DIY reconnecting of the detached lines. I replaced the entire pump for peace of mind. Oh, and if the roof leaks during rainy season, it may be the that the seals on the roof rack have deteriorated. Resealing with silicon will do the trick.

This may be a long list, and there may be more. But no car is without its flaws, especially at this age. And I am quite willing to live with these.

You are right sir, every car has its flaws specially if it is older than 10years.
    Santa fe has a reputation if FC is concern, and the comfort of sedan feeling.
    I can live also with its flaws.
    Thank you for the input.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    I owned a 2009 sta fe. Check the serpentine belt assembly. If there is any "kalampag" during idle then the belt, idler and tensioner may be due for replacement. This can be very problematic if not replaced as it can damage the ac compressor and water pump bearings.
    Thank you for the input sir, i'll make sure that it will not pass us.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    At what mileage have you experienced this? What kind of kalampag ba? Screeching?

Quote Originally Posted by Mentos View Post
    It's the ground clearance and FC, as per my partial research it averages 10km/L sa city driving.
    That is why, we are looking for owners review what to avoid or look into para ma reduce ang malaking gastusan in terms of spare parts.

I see. What route would you be using the vehicle in? I doubt even the Hyundai Accent can consistently do 10km/L in pure, hellhole, bumper to bumper, short distance Metro Manila city driving. If mixed city/highway it might be possible. Pure highway at a consistent 100-120km/h will yield 12-13km/L.

The Santa Fe is basically a Sonata on stilts, so don't expect much in terms of ground clearance and flood fording. In fact, I think the Innova has just as much, if not more ground clearance and wading depth. In this aspect, the Everest is a submarine in comparison. Santa Fe 2010 AT vs Everest 2012 AT

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    At what mileage have you experienced this? What kind of kalampag ba? Screeching?

Kalampag, as in "pag-pag-pag". Well siguro kung english speaking yung nakikinig baka "flap-flap-flap". Open the bonnet and you can actually see the tensioner moving in rhyme with the sound.

Known problem yan on 1st and 2nd gen santa fe, vera cruz and their kia cousins. Swertihan, not all get it but if it rears its ugly head you'd be swearing not to buy another korean again. Swerte ako e.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    pag screeching sound ba ng witch yun
    pag flap flap flap sound ng vampira
    pag pag pag pag tikbalang

hala naging horror movie na Santa Fe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast