New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Am gonna replace the trailblazer as while it is a good and dependable all around utility car, it isnt one i personally enjoy riding anymore due to the so-so interior and relatively loud noise entering the cabin. In fact i try to avoid riding it. I stopped driving it a long time ago when i idiotically replaced the stock headunit with a pioneer one and had to splice the wires. Therefore the steering wheel audio functions dont work anymore. Im kind of a OC in that sense because i always fast forward the track in spotify if i dont like it. Could never find a way to fix it. So i never drove it again and My kids use it everyday except coding.

Anyway my criteria is utility, luxury, at least a 7 seater, longevity, looks, and enjoyable to drive when i feel like taking the wheel.

I was thinking of:

1. Explorer Sport - tons of power and i had (sold) the pre facelifted version so i kinda know its character already. I know the depreciation sucks big time and its a guzzler. But it has the room, features and power i want. Though the kids will use it 90% of the time and i might envy all that addicting torque. Probably the most impractical of the lot. But its got the best driving dynamics and i am a car nut after all.

2. Toyota Alphard - first class seats in the second row. But am not sure if its a 6 or 7 seater and i dont want my small kids sitting in front where the airbag may deploy. Gas guzzler and the most expensive. But very intriguing though there is no fun to drive factor.

3. Kia Carnival - im drawn to this car. Its a diesel after all. And its got the space though im not sure if i have to get the local or gray market units for the better second row seats. Fun to drive factor is non existent but it wins in utility hands down.

4. Honda odyssey - the smallest of all the choices but its got all the features and has paddle shifters. Am not so sure about the space though. Utility is middle of the road and while its not the most fuel efficient its not so bad either. I think this is the most affordable of them all as well. I could see myself driving it sometimes. But am not so sure this honda can take the wear and tear of my kids using it daily.

Am not considering the everest, montero or fortuner. Much Too small for me. I need space more than anything else as i have 3 kids.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    we used an alphard for 4 days when we went to singapore last month. although i was not driving it looked like maganda naman handling nya although syempre di naman masusubukan talaga ang handling sa singapore roads at di naman nagsisingitan dun gaya sa pinas. pero sa makitid na driveway ng hotel ayos naman di nagigipit sa turns. on the hiway di rin siya bitin when merging. we were 4 adults + 3 kids + the driver so kung all adults i can say maluwag sa 6 and still capable of 7 (3 at the 3rd row). ride was not "maalon" but not firm either. what i like is the windows at the 2nd row can be opened down, di gaya sa starex may maliit na square lang na nai-slide.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    my vote goes to the Explorer. never mind the fc ☺ (i wouldn't buy a car for its resale value.) my eyes are always drawn to it (and the Prado txl) whenever i see one on the road. and who wouldn't love this one--
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1449888381203.jpg  

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Is the carnival the same as the sedona? If it is then id vote for that. Diesel is so cheap and the comfort is better than the explorer.

Edit: grand carnival pala. Ganda hehehe
    Last edited by StockEngine; December 12th, 2015 at 12:22 PM.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    I booked test drive monday for explorer. Will try to see if i can drive the alphard and odyssey as well. Carnival i have seen the local version already. Will check for gray market unit.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    EQ, you might want to consider a van as well. My family loves our grey market Grand Starex Semi Limo (it's now called Royale VIP). That is if you want to consider it also since it will be used by your kids primarily.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by numbah5 View Post
    EQ, you might want to consider a van as well. My family loves our grey market Grand Starex Semi Limo (it's now called Royale VIP). That is if you want to consider it also since it will be used by your kids primarily.
    Yes bro. Considering the Alphard. But i hear supply is tight and its very expensive.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    Yes bro. Considering the Alphard. But i hear supply is tight and its very expensive.
    Try the GS bro, pakita ko sa'yo GS Semi Limo namin if you'll be free one of these days. Diesel din. It may not have the fun factor but it's so easy to drive.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    You can also check out the new Expedition Ecoboost but its much longer than the older expeditions and it has the same 370hp engine as the explorer sport

10. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Ayos na ayos carnival. Diesel engine. Cheapest among odyssey and alphard. Ok rin sana starex pero hindi ba masyado malaki for the kids? Swak size ng carnival

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast