New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Hellow fellow tsikoteers... I have been one of the fanatic readers on this forum. I found it very informative...

I'll be home this Feb. 2010 and I want your help on deciding me which 2nd hand cars/auv best for my needs.

I'm aiming for Toyota Revo (diesel variants), Mitsubishi Adventure (diesel variants) but i dont know if my budget will suit up and maybe what year/model for this on that given budget. If not any advisable cars that you can propose on that price range...

also, following are to consider:

1. for family trips short or long distance
    2. fuel consumption
    3. durability
    4. easy to maintain
    5. safety
    6. looks

sana matulungan nyo ako kung anong maganda kunin. pasensya na po kung maliit lang ang budget ko kasi yun lang po ang kaya ng bulsa ko...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shotokan View Post
    I'm aiming for Toyota Revo (diesel variants), Mitsubishi Adventure (diesel variants) but i dont know if my budget will suit up and maybe what year/model for this on that given budget. If not any advisable cars that you can propose on that price range...
    If you want cost efficient maintenance and reliability... then consider Toyota.
    If you want Quality built for usage - Nissan - these cars are built to be driven.
    If you want a bit more speed and comfort - Either Nissan or Mitsubishi or Honda

A mid 90's model Toyota or CRV in good condition would be perfect for your choice.

Personally, an old Toyota Tamarraw FX or REVO - private used (not X-Taxi) will be a good choice. Firstly, it's not hot for car thieves. Dress it up a bit, and you get a really cool ride. Have the suspension fixed up with CRUVEN for polyurethane bushings - then you'll even enjoy this car for the next 15 years without having any suspension problems. The 7K gas engine is just right for city or even long distance drive. It is a real workhorse... thats the reason it was chosen for taxi fleets. Besides - it's Pre-OBD, easy to maintain, no expensive parts or electronics... well, not much really.

Of course, there are more types to choose from.

Personally, I would buy a VW Combi... but of course, if you are an enthusiast - you will pick an old VW Combi to fit in your requirements.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I own an Adventure. It is a good family car, but at times we curse it for its VERRRRY bouncy ride. Hindi ka makaka inom ng softdrinks ng hindi ka natatapunan kung umaandar kayo, esp sa likod.

Although it is relatively cheap to maintain and to run.

However, the Revo is roomier and performs just about as well.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    For me a Toyota Revo diesel . Easy to maintain just follow the engine change oil routine. In term of durability it is really good and carrying heavy load.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ehnriko View Post
    If you want cost efficient maintenance and reliability... then consider Toyota.
    If you want Quality built for usage - Nissan - these cars are built to be driven.
    If you want a bit more speed and comfort - Either Nissan or Mitsubishi or Honda

A mid 90's model Toyota or CRV in good condition would be perfect for your choice.
    Hmmm. Pretty subjective statements. both cars have been on the market for at least 10 years. Parts would be aplenty for both.

You can't go wrong with either the diesel adventure (with the venerable 4D56) or the revo here.

Engine-wise the 1st generation isuzu highlander would be great (the 4Ja1), but the build quality is quite lacking. Would be hard to find one in good condition as well.

All of them have nigh-indestructible (if maintained properly), efficient diesel engines and have seating capacity for at least 7 people.

Avoid the CR-V (and the petrol revo and adventure). it drinks gas like there's no tomorrow.

Just make sure to inspect the car well. Tag along a mechanic. Maraming flooded cars are on sale lately.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Thank you guys for your inputs... tanong ko lang kung pasok kaya yung budget ko sa AUV? (revo or adventure)... kung sakaling hindi... anong magandang recommened nyo na auto (sedan) like honda or toyota on that price range...

thanks ulit...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    hello Shotokan, pareho tayo ng hanap (diesel na matic na SUV or AUV). Sundan ko tong thread na 'to. Good luck sa pag hahanap naten! :D

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    the only thing lacking in a hi-lander is a noise free door hinge..... and a reclining second row!

Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst View Post
    Hmmm. Pretty subjective statements. both cars have been on the market for at least 10 years. Parts would be aplenty for both.

You can't go wrong with either the diesel adventure (with the venerable 4D56) or the revo here.

Engine-wise the 1st generation isuzu highlander would be great (the 4Ja1), but the build quality is quite lacking. Would be hard to find one in good condition as well.

All of them have nigh-indestructible (if maintained properly), efficient diesel engines and have seating capacity for at least 7 people.

Avoid the CR-V (and the petrol revo and adventure). it drinks gas like there's no tomorrow.

Just make sure to inspect the car well. Tag along a mechanic. Maraming flooded cars are on sale lately.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eunice*59 View Post
    hello Shotokan, pareho tayo ng hanap (diesel na matic na SUV or AUV). Sundan ko tong thread na 'to. Good luck sa pag hahanap naten! :D
    hi eunice*59... kung wala akong mahahanap na AUV for my budget, I will look for my other option... maybe a pick-up diesel like Nissan Eagle, Mazda B2500, Hilux or Mitsubishi L200... or last option would be sedan...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by shotokan View Post
    Hellow fellow tsikoteers... I have been one of the fanatic readers on this forum. I found it very informative...

I'll be home this Feb. 2010 and I want your help on deciding me which 2nd hand cars/auv best for my needs.

also, following are to consider:

1. for family trips short or long distance
    2. fuel consumption
    3. durability
    4. easy to maintain
    5. safety
    6. looks

sana matulungan nyo ako kung anong maganda kunin. pasensya na po kung maliit lang ang budget ko kasi yun lang po ang kaya ng bulsa ko...
    errr....wala pa atang auv at that price range.... try considering sedans.... para madami dami kang pagpipilian... mga bago pa..

Proposed vehicle for 200-250k budget