New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydelion View Post
    500-600k is my mom's allowable budget pero she can adjust pa if ever the price is more expensive and the condition is the cost should meet the quality.

What's better between Santa Fe and Captiva? as you said i also consider flood that's why i'm looking for an SUV.
    Santa Fe, bro. Its bigger than the Captiva, you would have less trouble with parts and maintenance, and have better dealer support should you need it.

Diesels are more flood-worthy than gasoline engines. We also have to look where the air intake is. For many gasoline CUVs, the air intake is placed down low like a sedan's, so it can "suffocate" and therefore stall even if floods are not that high or you encounter a relatively high bow wave. In the Santa Fe's case, the air intake is right below the hood. So technically, it shouldn't stall till the flood immerses the hood and water continually gushes down the air intake.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Other options:

Mitsubishi ASX (but since your budget is rather small, you can't afford this)
    Subaru XV ( same issue, budget)
    Kia Soul 1.6 or 2.0 (potentially affordable) more car like than SUV... but still considered a CUV.
    Suzuki SX4 (kinda small though)

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For 500k budget...

2nd hand, the older 2.5 sorento. Diesel, proven 2.5 liter crdi engine same as the grx starex. It's big, it has 3 rows of seats that fold down for luggage space.

Or a pajero? Check out sulit add 17056913, 508k selling price, manual tranny. That's as big as it can get.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    If you can stretch your budget get the diesel cuv. If max is 600k 2nd hand pajero or santa fe.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    How about diesel pickups? Bagay to sayo if you're a big guy. (No offense meant bro) :D

Cheaper than diesel CUVs/SUVs out there, be it 2nd hand or brand new. Better buy 2009 up models para ndi naman maxado luma. Yun nga lang you have to cover the bed for security and for bad weather. And you have to stretch your budget a bit for newer models. They're the cheapest, biggest diesel fed vehicles you can get. (except for Innovas and Adventures. crosswinds are overpriced )

6. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    The problem with pickups is that they are quite long and potentially hard to park in college parking lots, unless your studying in Ateneo
    If you really want a diesel SUV your choices are limited to
    2004-2011 Sorento
    Early model Santa Fe
    700k gets you an early fortuner 2.5 diesel
    Woudnt recommend a pajero, they are quite old for the budget, quite big as well

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Rav 4 na 4x2 version. Very fuel efficient for a suv and tipid din maintenance. Bagay na bagay pang college kid. Mahal maintenance ng diesel hindi pang studyante ang cost unless ma $$$$.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Agree ako sa Pajero fieldmaster. Pangarap ko pa din un hanggang ngayon haha. Yan nalang basta kayanin mo lang maintenance ng diesel haha

Kung Crossover pa din, hanap ka nga 4x2 rav4 or 05 crv k20 tas manual para malakas humatak

Sent from my GT-I9082

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The Pajero Fieldmaster is actually worth considering. You get much respect, good looks and legendary durability. Old school engine means performance is not much (though can be improved with some mods), but also that maintenance and engine parts are cheap and is easy to service.

Worth considering also is the Ford Everest. 1st gen has most of the FM Pajero's merits along with more space and lower resale value.
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

10. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Thank all comments here!

I'm now considering between Pajero and Everest since they are both diesel and spacious. But I can't afford the latest generation.

So which one is the best choice between them?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast