New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Good day!

Pasensya at newbie lang sa mga cars sir. Maraming mga katanungan so I hope masagutan lahat.

Looking for: The car sana will be used for daily driving. That's 34 km everyday for 6 days, patag na daan. I need din pala na relatively low ang fuel consumption. Manual kasi I've heard na they cost less sa repairs at mas mababa fuel consumption.
    Budget: 50k to 100k
    Cars on my list are:
    -Toyota Corolla AE92
    -Nissan Sentra ECCS
    -Mitsubishi Lancer (Itlog or Pizza)
    -Honda Civic ESI
    -Ford Lynx (RS or Ghia)
    Opinion, guys? I don't have any idea how much would repairs cost. Anyone can give me an estimate? 20k?
    I got a student license. Will be upgrading after a month.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eprnv View Post
    Good day!

Pasensya at newbie lang sa mga cars sir. Maraming mga katanungan so I hope masagutan lahat.

Looking for: The car sana will be used for daily driving. That's 34 km everyday for 6 days, patag na daan. I need din pala na relatively low ang fuel consumption. Manual kasi I've heard na they cost less sa repairs at mas mababa fuel consumption.
    Cars on my list are:
    -Toyota Corolla AE92
    -Nissan Sentra ECCS
    -Honda Civic ESI
    -Ford Lynx (RS or Ghia)
    Opinion, guys? I don't have any idea how much would repairs cost. Anyone can give me an estimate? 20k?
    From the above list, my vote goes to the Corolla. Maintenance wont still be a problem as lots of parts are still available, plus mechanics are very familiar with them. Second is the Sentra. Actually, I was thinking of the Civic, but I'm having second thoughts on the rust issues of that model. My friend had it before, but he's unlucky his unit was had its plague and his car ended in junk despite the frequent body repairs. The Lancer is also good, I've had the itlog before, however, it is plagued with the suspension, Maf Sensor and Idle control issues.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    For a 90s car, my suggestion would be the Civic EK (96-00). It's a classic design and you get tons of aftermarket support. It maybe a bit more expensive but it is something worth keeping longer if properly maintained.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2019
    I really appreciate the inputs, mga sir. Maraming salamat!

Quote Originally Posted by jvnj View Post
    From the above list, my vote goes to the Corolla. Maintenance wont still be a problem as lots of parts are still available, plus mechanics are very familiar with them. Second is the Sentra. Actually, I was thinking of the Civic, but I'm having second thoughts on the rust issues of that model. My friend had it before, but he's unlucky his unit was had its plague and his car ended in junk despite the frequent body repairs. The Lancer is also good, I've had the itlog before, however, it is plagued with the suspension, Maf Sensor and Idle control issues.
    I've heard of the Civic rust issues and the Lancer suspension and Maf Sensor issues. How much repair ng Maf Sensor and suspension ng Lancer EL?
    I'm leaning towards AE92 (or E90) kasi Toyota. Sentra ECCS comes a close second kasi I've heard great things about this car. Both are fuel efficient sabi.
    What do you think?
    Also can you provide me estimate mo ng fuel consumption ng Lancer EL, sir? Pati po pala maintenance costs every month?

Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    For a 90s car, my suggestion would be the Civic EK (96-00). It's a classic design and you get tons of aftermarket support. It maybe a bit more expensive but it is something worth keeping longer if properly maintained.
    Do you know how much the maintenance would cost for that car?

5. Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Ready your wallet.

My experience with the Lancer Pizza, had to spend much on suspension. I'm satisfied with the handling, it's relatively fast (4G92A stock engine). Went to Baguio and Batangas multiple times. Had problems with the A/C. Typical old car... parang senior citizens, they need attention and maintenance.

But you'll learn a lot about the mechanicals... and the appreciation of old vs brand new car.

Good luck.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006

Do you know how much the maintenance would cost for that car?
    Like any old car, you just need to follow the regular oil change schedule. Any car with a broken engine or tranny or suspension or aircon will be a bit costly to repair.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i'd personally go for these in the said order:

1. Nissan Sentra ECCS
    2. Toyota Corolla AE92

AE92 lamang sa parts and maintainability pero sobrang bare and maliit. power steering and windows came in the latter years na ata. carb pa yung engine. yung sentra naman, if i'm not mistaken, pioneer ng efi sa class niya. all-power and quite roomy na rin. and the aircon...hehe if you can find an SE Saloon, it already came with 4 wheel disc brakes and ABS and sportier bumpers and mags.

i suggest set aside 50% of your purchase cost to possible repairs. hindi naman ito one-time gastos pag bili. marami pang lalabas niyan habang ginagamit a few months later.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Good day!

Cars on my list are:
    -Toyota Corolla AE92
    -Nissan Sentra ECCS
    -Honda Civic ESI
    -Ford Lynx (RS or Ghia)
    With your budget and age, I would get in order of preference:

1. Corolla, preferably small-body but ok rin big body.
    2. Lancer, Itlog or Pizza, pareho lang halos sila ng parts, baliktad lang orientation ng makina.
    3. Nissan Sentra ECCS, under-rated car but maybe you can get one for cheap

Cross-out:

Civic Esi, overpriced (but not as much as a HB), due to popularity with boy-racers/ricers, likely 4th or greater owner ka na. Also known for roof-rust.
    Ford Lynx, at your budget, you'll be lucky to get a Ghia.

Repair costs? Allot an extra 1/3 on top of your total budget for the car.

But what do you mean upgrading after a month? If you will be getting more money why not just wait around?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    IMO, 90's Toyota (1.3) is so primitive... wala kang magiging problema dyan.

biggest head scratching problem ko sa Corolla 2E (big & small body) was ayaw nya mag-idle...

After ko linisin/palitan yung mag naiisip kong problem... fuse lang pala issue

*** may naisip akong problem ***
    hehehe

di mo sya pwede lagyan ng double din na head unit

10. Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxlam View Post
    Ready your wallet.

My experience with the Lancer Pizza, had to spend much on suspension. I'm satisfied with the handling, it's relatively fast (4G92A stock engine). Went to Baguio and Batangas multiple times. Had problems with the A/C. Typical old car... parang senior citizens, they need attention and maintenance.

But you'll learn a lot about the mechanicals... and the appreciation of old vs brand new car.

Good luck.
    Wooah Baguio to Batangas kaya pa pala. You think kaya pa ng mga cars na yan ngayon, sir? Kasi I'm planning din to use the car for long drive twice a month. Probably mga 150km to 180km distances.
    How much po repair ng suspension ng Lancer? Also maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Like any old car, you just need to follow the regular oil change schedule. Any car with a broken engine or tranny or suspension or aircon will be a bit costly to repair.
    May nakita ako the other day na Accord '97 may problem sa pag-shift ng 3rd gear, costs 8k daw pa-repair. Will surely take note on those.

Quote Originally Posted by coiter View Post
    i'd personally go for these in the said order:

1. Nissan Sentra ECCS
    2. Toyota Corolla AE92

AE92 lamang sa parts and maintainability pero sobrang bare and maliit. power steering and windows came in the latter years na ata. carb pa yung engine. yung sentra naman, if i'm not mistaken, pioneer ng efi sa class niya. all-power and quite roomy na rin. and the aircon...hehe if you can find an SE Saloon, it already came with 4 wheel disc brakes and ABS and sportier bumpers and mags.

i suggest set aside 50% of your purchase cost to possible repairs. hindi naman ito one-time gastos pag bili. marami pang lalabas niyan habang ginagamit a few months later.
    Thank you sa input, sir!
    Kaya pala I'm hearing great things about Sentra ECCS. Yung AE92 kasi sir mas gusto ko lang sa exterior and it's a Toyota car. Nabasa ko din na repair ng EFI is costly compared sa mga Carb type, is this true? Kaya pa ba ng mga cars na to na umabot ng 12km/l sa city? Hindi naman ma-traffic dito.
    Will set aside din ng budget para sa repair expenses. Thank you, sir.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast