New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Wife needs a car of her own, not keen on getting a brand new one since we're still paying mortgage sa current car namin.

We currently have a budget of 600K, Vios is out of the equation since ayaw niya daw kasi 'grab' car.

Looking at Altis and City VX since pareho low maintenance and fuel efficient.

Here are my pro's and con's so far for the 2:

Altis 14/15 1.6V (2016 model up is out of budget)
    + Bigger
    + more 'elegant'
    + TOYOTA
    + low maintenance
    - considering the budget, older model

16/17 City VX (VX+ model is out of budget)
    + fuel efficient
    + lot of features
    + newer model
    - maintenance cost more expensive vs Toyota

Any suggestions for other cars and +/- on my choices is appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mak Letran View Post
    Wife needs a car of her own, not keen on getting a brand new one since we're still paying mortgage sa current car namin.

We currently have a budget of 600K, Vios is out of the equation since ayaw niya daw kasi 'grab' car.

Looking at Altis and City VX since pareho low maintenance and fuel efficient.

Here are my pro's and con's so far for the 2:

+ Bigger
    + more 'elegant'
    + TOYOTA
    + low maintenance
    - considering the budget, older model

+ fuel efficient
    + lot of features
    + newer model
    - maintenance cost more expensive vs Toyota

Any suggestions for other cars and +/- on my choices is appreciated!

Thanks!

Between the two, I’d get the Altis. Unless you need the City’s rear camera

Automatic ba?

Why not look for a previous gen civic? It has all the virtues of a corolla but with a better engine and a reliable conventional auto tranny. Price is pretty cheap with those nowadays. Looks boring but gets the job done.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    + Bigger (by how much, I think it's negligible)
    + more 'elegant' (not really?)
    + TOYOTA (????)
    + low maintenance (mas mahal PMS namin sa Toyota (3x a year or more) vs Honda (2x a year))
    - considering the budget, older model (negligible)

+ fuel efficient (same lang siguro sa Altis)
    + lot of features (yeah no question about it, Toyota is known for pricing high with base model specs on the totl just like HARI (Hyundai)
    + newer model (negligible)
    - maintenance cost more expensive vs Toyota (see above)

Why not look for a previous gen civic? It has all the virtues of a corolla but with a better engine and a reliable conventional auto tranny. Price is pretty cheap with those nowadays. Looks boring but gets the job done.
    I would still get the GM6 vs the FB.

For me, the City (GM6) is more Civic like - I mean if a Civic badge was on the GM6, it would not look wrong (IMHO).

4. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUninvited View Post
    + Bigger (by how much, I think it's negligible)
    + more 'elegant' (not really?)
    + TOYOTA (????)
    + low maintenance (mas mahal PMS namin sa Toyota (3x a year or more) vs Honda (2x a year))
    - considering the budget, older model (negligible)

+ fuel efficient (same lang siguro sa Altis)
    + lot of features (yeah no question about it, Toyota is known for pricing high with base model specs on the totl just like HARI (Hyundai)
    + newer model (negligible)
    - maintenance cost more expensive vs Toyota (see above)
    You don’t need to follow maintenance schedule after the warranty. Since the altis he’s eyeing is out of warranty, he can opt to do PMS twice a year or even do it outside the casa, so the 3x or more PMS is not applicable in this case.

Low maintenance here now refers to sourcing of parts. As far as I know, both City and Altis are popular cars and its easy to find parts, but in my experience Toyota generally have cheaper parts. But then again, since the Altis is a bigger car, it may have more expensive parts than the subcompact City

5. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    I would still get the GM6 vs the FB.

For me, the City (GM6) is more Civic like - I mean if a Civic badge was on the GM6, it would not look wrong (IMHO).
    Yeah but... it has CVT. If he’s planning to keep the car for a very very long time, the Civic FB might be a better choice. TC said they intend to use it as a service car and I think the Civic FB fits the bill of a service car, nothing flashy, pretty simple and reliable.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    Yeah but... it has CVT. If he’s planning to keep the car for a very very long time, the Civic FB might be a better choice. TC said they intend to use it as a service car and I think the Civic FB fits the bill of a service car, nothing flashy, pretty simple and reliable.
    What's the problem with CVT? Altis has a CVT as well.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    What's the problem with CVT? Altis has a CVT as well.
    Toyota always had more reliable CVTs than Honda. But I believe the old reliable Honda 5 speed will outlast any CVTs.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Civic is kinda known to be a sucker with regards to fuel efficiency diba? Car would be used on short distance lang daily errands, so more of city driving.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Toyota always had more reliable CVTs than Honda. But I believe the old reliable Honda 5 speed will outlast any CVTs.
    Which Toyota model specifically is this? and compared to what Honda model?

10. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mak Letran View Post
    Civic is kinda known to be a sucker with regards to fuel efficiency diba? Car would be used on short distance lang daily errands, so more of city driving.
    It should be better than the older Civic FD. As far as I know, the Civic FB is quite fuel efficient and its geared towards comfort rather than sportiness. Sa reviews it gets around 9km/L in the city, same as my 2009 1.5L Honda City. But yes the latest Honda city will be more fuel efficient since it uses CVT now.

Which Toyota model specifically is this? and compared to what Honda model?
    Remember the Jazz and City CVT failures back in the day? If TC is going to get any CVT though, its best to change the fluid regularly to prolong the CVTs life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast