New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Narrowed down to Both 2003-2004 models, diesel, a/t. With or without 4x4 oks lang.

Ano kaya pinakasulit sa dalawa? FC or reliability issues that you know of? Ownership costs (ok lang kahit high basta reasonably reliable, i.e., di ako mastranded sa pagudpod kasi nasira lolz).

Car will be used as a daily driver. Drive ko sya until it falls to pieces kaya resale values not important.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated, gentlemen.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Early ZD30 engines not reliable. "Garantisabog", as some might say. Supposedly fixed in 04 production and later, so if you're going for a Patrol you should get 05 or newer to be on the safe side.

Some Australian satire mocking the ZD30:
    How the Nissan Patrol ZD3 Engine became Most Wanted – Offroad News Australia

How to prevent ZD30 blowups:
    ZD3- The Good-The Bad-The Issues (How To Help Your Turbo Engine)

Seems like the mode that leads to catrastrophic failure is massive boost spikes (from the link above):
    6. If you are noticing boost pressure spikes over 20psi (up to 25psi is not uncommon), fit a boost limiting device such as a Dawes valve. These can be set so that the turbo can't boost over say 18psi...... This is a bandaid, not a cure, as there will be other issues causing the overboosting.
    Last edited by Dr.Kamiya; February 26th, 2020 at 08:17 PM.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    Early ZD30 engines not reliable. "Garantisabog", as some might say. Supposedly fixed in 04 production and later, so if you're going for a Patrol 05 and newer would be consider safe.

Some Australian satire mocking the ZD30:
    How the Nissan Patrol ZD3 Engine became Most Wanted – Offroad News Australia

Whoa. Interesting read! Thanks for that boss di ko alam yun ah. That explains the somewhat low prices

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Pajero fieldmaster na..

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Kung pang matagalan at off-road, get the solid axles. May fix na sa ZD30 turboe problem.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post
    Whoa. Interesting read! Thanks for that boss di ko alam yun ah. That explains the somewhat low prices
    I edited my post to add a more useful link. More info lang on the failure modes and how to prevent them.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post
    Narrowed down to Both 2003-2004 models, diesel, a/t. With or without 4x4 oks lang.

Ano kaya pinakasulit sa dalawa? FC or reliability issues that you know of? Ownership costs (ok lang kahit high basta reasonably reliable, i.e., di ako mastranded sa pagudpod kasi nasira lolz).

Car will be used as a daily driver. Drive ko sya until it falls to pieces kaya resale values not important.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated, gentlemen.
    Pajero has no computer box. Very simple design, can be serviced without needing specialized equipment, lots of parts anywhere. Also less bulky than the Patrol, while still seating just as many people.

Ever considered the 90 series Prado?

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Personal preference, Pajero Fieldmaster.

It has more presence.
    It is more reliable because of its mechanical diesel injection.
    Better resale value compared to Patrol of the same generation.

Some cons i can think of:

Slow.
    Rear sliding windows are the security weakness.
    Costs more than equivalent Patrol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Parang Pajero na nga lang... natakot ako dun sa exploding engine issue ng early 2000s model Patrol yun pa naman mga abot kayang models.

Wala pala ECU mga Pajero? I actually owned a 96 model nuon, yung may 4d56 and it gave me nothing but headaches. I wonder if ung 4m40 is the same. Hanggang ngayon nga mga Montero na naka 2.5 hindi ko tinitignan due to my bad memories sa 4d66 hehe.

Anything i should look out for sa mga 4m40 fieldmasters? I know yung 4d56 napuputulan ng timing belts parati at mausok pag neglected, how about the 4m40s?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Ever considered the 90 series Prado?
    Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk
    ^This.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast