New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Hi guys, Im planning to buy my first car, listed below are my choices, kindly help me decide which one to buy. I really have no idea about cars. Please take into consideration that my budget is around 150k.

Nissan Exalta
    STA/SLA (Don't even know the difference)
    Year: 2000+
    Transmission: AT/MT (need your kind opinion on this as well, my mom told me that its not advisable to buy AT 2nd hand cars)
    Engine: 1.3+ but not more than 1.6 (Fuel Consumption)
    Reason: Aesthetically ang Pogi kasi eh. But im worried kasi baka compromised ang performance.

Corolla
    XE/Lovelife
    Year: 1998+
    Transmission: AT/MT (need your kind opinion on this as well, my mom told me that its not advisable to buy AT 2nd hand cars)
    Reason: Well because of the brand, Toyota im counting on its durability and maintainability.

City
    Type Z/esi
    Year 98+
    Transmission: AT/MT
    Engine: 1.3 +
    Reason: Same reason as the one i have for corolla.

Lynx
    Ghia
    Year 2000+
    Reason: Aesthetically good, year produced is more up to date than civic and corolla i can buy with the budget i have.

These are my 4 choices, any comments or opinions will be very much appreciated. Pros and Cons of each car, Fuel Consumption, MT/AT Transmission myths, maintainability, durability.

Thanks in advance !

- Mak =)

2. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Im also wondering why the price of Exalta and Lynx are cheaper than old models of toyota and honda? 2002 Exalta/Lynx goes for 170k+ while corolla and city 97-200 ranges from 180-200k.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Meron ako Corolla, pero sa choices mo syempre Lynx. Pinaka-bago. Tapos EFi na.

Wala ka makukuha na Lovelife for 150k na GLi. Pinaka-mataas na makukuha mo na Corolla is 1995 na GLi.

Syempre that old ayaw mo na kumuha ng AT kasi sakit na yan sa ulo kasi nga luma na.

Wala ka rin makukuha type z city for 150k.

Lahat sa choices mo actually beyond 150k. Pero closest na yung Lynx, pinaka-bago pa. Yung Sentra naman baka Fe lang makuha mo sa Exalta body. Which is carb pa.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Hi Renzo,

Why is it na mas mura ung Lynx considering new model siya compared to its counterparts? May durability issues po ba to?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by supermak View Post
    Hi guys, Im planning to buy my first car, listed below are my choices, kindly help me decide which one to buy. I really have no idea about cars. Please take into consideration that my budget is around 150k.

Nissan Exalta
    STA/SLA (Don't even know the difference)
    Year: 2000+
    Reason: Aesthetically ang Pogi kasi eh. But im worried kasi baka compromised ang performance.

Corolla
    XE/Lovelife
    Year: 1998+
    Reason: Well because of the brand, Toyota im counting on its durability and maintainability.

City
    Type Z/esi
    Year 98+
    Reason: Same reason as the one i have for corolla.

I wouldn't suggest the Sentra Exalta STA/SLA... the car is heavy and does not do well in the fuel economy portion. Also parts might be hard to come by because its a Taiwan variant and not Japanese. You would be better in getting the earlier version which is the 1996 to 1999 Sentra.

The Corolla lovelife is a good choice too. Plenty of units to choose from. Parts are easy to find. But you are right, A/T is not recommended because of potential expensive repairs/replacement with a car of this age. BUT given the Metro Manila traffic, you might want to bite the bullet and actually get an A/T unit. A good test drive can show you if the transmission is in good condition... and checking the ATF fluid condition does the same as well.

As with any old cars... have a budget for repairs. Check with the owner of the potential car if and when major parts were fixed or replaced like the A/C compressor, alternator, starter motor, etc.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; April 3rd, 2012 at 10:18 PM.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Malalaman ko ba agad pag nag test drive ako ng A/T if may problem ung transimission nya?

Going back to my previous question, Why is the Ford Lynx being sold cheaper than its counterpart? Mas bago naman siya 2000+ models. Ano po ba issues meron sa lynx?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Dahil sa mentality ng pinoy sa Ford.... Parang nissan lang, di naman pangit pero yung resale value sobrang baba

8. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Mahal ba ang parts ng Ford? or mataas fuel consumption? If ill go for a 2000-2001 model ng Ford safe pa ba mag A/T kasi hindi na sya ganun kaluma?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by supermak View Post
    Malalaman ko ba agad pag nag test drive ako ng A/T if may problem ung transimission nya?
    It is possible to feel some potential problems... like if you can feel a strong shift shock when the tranny shifts gears, its a bad sign. It should shift smoothly without jerkiness. It also should accelerate in linear manner, no feeling of "sliding". Also if you hear any mechanical noise from the tranny, walk away and look for another car.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Don't get an automatic Lynx or an automatic Honda of that age. An Exalta AT is relatively durable, but the electronics and toys aren't, being (as the others are saying) from Taiwan. (had one).

The Lynx 1.3 MT is a good car. Good fuel consumption, great space compared to your other choices and relatively durable. Parts are not easy to find, but most automotive stores have the basics (filter, plugs, brake pads, etcetera) and for special parts like shocks and brakes, there are several stores in Banawe, Q.C. that carry the pieces you need. And spare parts prices are similar to other cars of the era. It's probaby the best buy amongst what you're looking at. Kinda bare, though, with manual windows... but less stuff to break, right? The 1.6 MT is decent, but those year models had the camshaft position sensor problem... but at this point, the first owner will have likely replaced it, and the part merely costs 3.5k pesos, anyway.

Sentra FE 1.3 (Exalta body) is nice, light, robust and durable, with a smooth and revvy DOHC engine, but the carburetor sucks... fuel economy goes down when it gets dirty, and it needs to be cleaned often. Also very bare. Back seat sucks hideously.

Corolla 1.3s from that time... don't get a taxi. Seriously. Make sure it's a private car. But for your price range, all you'll get are ex-taxis or very beat up models. Find a fresh one and it'll serve you well.

City... forget it. Too small. Rust problems. To get a good secondhand City requires a lot of money, and Honda automatics of that age suck.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
P150k what to buy? Exalta, Corolla, City,  or Lynx?