New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Guys last late Dec, I was already decided on getting a new Sorento 4x2 LX (2.2L CRDi) Mahogany Brown instead of the more accessory rich Sportage CRDi simply due to the Sorento's size.

I went to a Kia dealer to check out their owner purchased AWD Sorento earlier (same color... But it's AWD and they added a few mods like OEM fog lamps, rear spoiler, back up sensors and roof rail), but I was a bit turned off by some minor scratches and in cabin dirt. I'm still thinking the price is too close to the brand new 4x2. Wow turbo Diesel engine at 190+ hp. I've read the reviews by the Sorento owners, of course. And I've never had an SUV before so I kinda want one.

Then the Snow White pearl Kia Optima caught my eye! Shoot! Though the engine is not GDi nor turbocharged, it's a steady MPi CVVT 2.4L ThetaII engine that can do 180hp. But the exterior is wow. Sleek but not overly modern. It's a design that's attractive through the years. And the interior is feature rich. Usually for top of the line mid size sedans but this one had it all. Double panoramic sunroof, cruise control, paddle shifters, push to start button, keyless entry, auto climate, Bluetooth, back up sensors, led tail light and rear "fog light", DRL led up front... The works. And with a limited time offer, it'll be the same price as the brand new Sorento 2.2L CRDi 4x2!!! I also like the color as is.

Truth is, I've always wanted an SUV but I also wanted a pearl white vehicle. The Optima is about P150K or more cheaper than others in its class so that leaves the Mazda 6 out, also CX-5. I'm not a fan of the Subaru looks, I also prefer the Sorento over the Montero; while the Santa Fe is P400K higher.

I don't have kids; my wife and I would probably use it mostly for city driving but either way it'll inspire us for more out of town trips. Lol. I don't need the cargo space on a regular basis.

Which do I go for???

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Kia Sorento is better suited for Metro Manila conditions. Potholes, flooding, etc. The novelty of the Optima's tech gizmos will wear out.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    As good as the Sorento 4x2 CRDi might be but given the choice, I would go with the Optima. The Sorento may have the bigger space and grunt of a turbo diesel but midsize cars offer a much more comfortable and stable ride.
    Last edited by Egan101; January 3rd, 2014 at 09:32 PM.

4. Join Date
    May 2010
    I'd go sorento all day..

5. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    5 seats din Sorento diba? Optima nalang. :D

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Iba pa din ang suv. I'll still choose the Sorento (or any suv) over a sedan of the same brand any day. Gadgets? E di yung ex sorento kunin mo. If you can afford 1.4M definitely upgrading to a 1.7M ex will not be too hard to do.
    Last edited by yebo; January 4th, 2014 at 09:40 AM.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Thanks, guys. Grabe, I took the missus earlier to check the Optima out. Though she was impressed by the interior of the Optima, parang keen pa rin siya sa Sorento. We didn't see a proper 4x2 Sorento earlier. Only a modified one to have almost identical EX look. So not apples to apples.

I was leaning towards SUV na lang with just mods over time so parang Sorento na lang. Kakainis lang that the Optima is almost complete na as is. Grrrrr... 😆

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    Iba pa din ang suv. I'll still choose the Sorento (or any suv) over a sedan of the same brand any day. Gadgets? E di yung ex sorento kunin mo. If you can afford 1.4M definitely upgrading to a 1.7M ex will not be too hard to do.
    *Yebo, price for the EX is P1.8m+. Too much na yon, pare. Thanks. Siguro panay after market gagawin ko. Lol.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the opinions, guys. Sorento na napili ko. It will arrive in a week or two.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I prefer the Sportage CRDi. :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
< P1.4M budget. Sorento LX A/T or Optima???