New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2011
    My intention is not to disrupt the community with my odd choices.

1. They all have different prices
    2. Different segments and class
    3. Definitely different purposes

I respect other opinions, and make sure I listen to yours. But, as always, before you buy something, you ask others if you can get every worth of your penny.

Avanza, because:
    1. Value for money
    2. Can sit 7 (5 comfortably and 2 on a odd position), maybe 8 if the last one squish in.
    3. I would opt for the G (A/T), not really planning to drive a MT anymore.
    4. Costs around PHP 840k
    5. For sure, I will get a lower monthly amortization comparing the other two (MS and Tucson)
    6. Ohhh, that taxi branding.... equals to more parts coming
    7. Probably, not too much car jacking/carnap frauds? compared to the other two.
    8. Maintenance cost?

Montero Sport, because
    1. Pogi points!
    2. Can sit 7, or 8
    3. Costs around 1.4m
    4. Takaw sa mata
    5. Better functionality and engine
    6. Maintenance cost?
    7. Not value for money?

Tucson, because:
    1. Love the interiors, feels solid
    2. Pogi points, pa din.
    3. Can sit 5 only
    4. Costs around 1m to 1.3m (from my choices sa AT)
    5. Probably takaw din sa mata
    6. New features and engine
    7. I think same with the MS
    8. Maintenance cost?

I crossed out the Innova, did not like it much.

Off course, the purpose.
    1. People mover (max 5). If I can sit +2 more, bonus lang. All has good cargo space, compared sa sedan. Usually, 2 most of the time lang ang sakay.
    2. Basically, point A to point B
    3. Value for money (You can see that every penny you paid for that car is sulit). Regardless if it's a avanza, tucson or ms.
    4. Fuel consumption... realistically a 8-9 kms/L on city would do. Bonus, if I get 10+ kms/L on city and probably more on higher. I have a light foot, sometimes. Specially if gas prices are high.
    5. It's a second auto purchase if ever. The first one was a sedan -- so bigger, more cargo, pogi, atbp.

I know the choices are a bit odd, but please pardon me as I streamline the options. They almost all have the same down payment, 20%, 30%. The monthly amortization is where it boils down and the PMS.

Thank you in advance

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Amongst your choices, I`d go with the Montero Sport IF you have the means to purchase one. Yung hindi ka alanganin na baka ma-hila ng bank if ever. Else, I'd go with the Avanza. You have to sacrifice looks though, because utility is what you're paying for. You get your money's worth. A top of the line 7-seater for 840k ? What more can you ask for.

However, if you're open to a broader array of alternatives, you can take a look at the Fortuner which in my opinion looks better than the MS & also, take a look at the Santa Fe which might just fit your budget if a lot of haggling is done.

I'd scratch off the tucson from the list if I were you. Though it really looks good & is bang-for-the-buck, you might just make use of the extra 2-3 seats that the other cars are offering

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    ^ nice post by renz already, covered all bases basically. But...

Aside from SUV/CUV, have you looked at pick-ups? They can sit 5 adults comfortably now (Strada, Hilux, Navarra) and have lots of space for cargo esp if you have a campershell. Its more fuel efficient than an SUV and can do basically what the SUV can do excpet sit more than 5 persons comfortably. Just a thought.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    hmm i agree bakit wala sa choices ang fortuner and sta. fe? if you can afford it.. get the bigger car..

5. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    To TS, for me if I had a MOLA, I will include the Mitsubishi Adventure, if you are looking for more seating capacity, more sporty look, more height and better classy interior/exterior not to include the new engine EURO 2 diesel.. for the price of 900k you can own GLS model. this is just my 2 cent

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Since tumitingin ka na rin sa Avanza, I suggest tingnan mo ang Kia Carens. Hindi siya ganun ka takaw carnap tulad ng Montero, malakas humatak at matipid sa gas due to 140hp CRDi VGT engine, has a comfortable ride and seats 7 (although medyo masikip sa likod).

7. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    i like this comparo even though it's what you stated, a bit odd.

im also taking a look at the 2012 avanza vs the non-vgt montero

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    You've stated that you're only gonna seat 5 max on regular occasions, which is why I don't see the need to get a 7-seater. Personally I don't like the idea of getting a car for features that you will barely use, as this usually means that on a regular day, you're compromised.

For example, the Tucson GL CRDi and the Montero Sport GLS-V. The Montero seats 7, but take that out of the equation, and the Tucson is the better car. It has a better engine (that's so freakishly fast and frugal that this alone could be compelling enough to get the car), a more comfortable ride, better handling and a more modern design inside and out. A bit cheaper than the GLS-V too.

That said, I feel that the Avanza is still the best car for you among your choices. Not because it has 7 seats, but because it's significantly cheaper and all you need is a car that gets you from point A to point B. I've noticed that you're not really after features and toys, and if you're not looking for them, then just save the money and get the cheaper car.

Fuel consumption will be higher than the other two, but it'll take decades before the fuel savings will offset the price difference between the Avanza and the Tucson/Montero.