New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Hi mga brothers,

Hope to seek your help because I'm planning to buy our very first car this January or Feb. 2013.
    (Honestly I'm 45 yrs old but I never have driven a car and I know nothing about cars.)

I've been reading the posts in this forum for quite sometime and have learned a lot from
    you guys. You are such a blessing to people like me...

By the way, the car I'm planning to buy is for daily use (work for weekdays/ pasyal on saturdays/church on Sundays)
    (I have a wife and two kids)

Mostly city driving (within Metro Manila)

My budget is 250k and I need a car that is:

1. fuel efficient
    2. low maintenance cost
    3. madaling humanap ng parts
    4. presentable din

many suggested the Altis, Vios , Sentra or Exalta...

What car can you suggest based on my budget? By the way, it includes any repair costs if any..

Thanks much in advance and God bless!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Go for the vios Manual Transmission. The many taxi units attest to its easy maintenance, availability of parts and fuel efficiency.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    kung hanap mo , matipid at maraming pyesa , pasok na pasok ang toyota vios dito .. low maintenance din naman ito

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Altis will be your best bet. It has enough space for your family of four, decent fuel consumption, and reliable. Sentra/Exalta (GS or GSX models) has more creature comforts but it lags behind a bit in fuel consumption against the Altis. However, with Nissan's low resale value, you can get a younger car for your budget. Madali lang naman parts for both cars, as they are quite common on the streets. The Vios may top the fuel consumption category but I will not recommend it as you plan to use it for a family car - travelling with kids ain't light and a more spacious car is needed.

5. Join Date
    May 2010
    Good evening and Merry Christmas! Ito pala mga suggestions ko (may link sa mga reviews ko kung meron man):
    THE ULTIMATE USED CAR GUIDE: Used Car Review - Toyota Corolla Altis (2001-2007)
    THE ULTIMATE USED CAR GUIDE: Used Car Review - Toyota Vios (2003-2007)
    2004-present Nissan Sentra GS
    2001-2002 Honda Civic (kung meron pasok sa budget)
    2000-2003 Mitsubishi lancer (wag lang ang 1.5 GL kasi carb)

An odd ball pick is the:
    THE ULTIMATE USED CAR GUIDE: Wildcard Pick of the Month - Hyundai Matrix (2003-2007)

Happy shopping

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by blesseddad View Post
    Hi mga brothers,

Hope to seek your help because I'm planning to buy our very first car this January or Feb. 2013.
    (Honestly I'm 45 yrs old but I never have driven a car and I know nothing about cars.)

I've been reading the posts in this forum for quite sometime and have learned a lot from
    you guys. You are such a blessing to people like me...

By the way, the car I'm planning to buy is for daily use (work for weekdays/ pasyal on saturdays/church on Sundays)
    (I have a wife and two kids)

Mostly city driving (within Metro Manila)

My budget is 250k and I need a car that is:

1. fuel efficient
    2. low maintenance cost
    3. madaling humanap ng parts
    4. presentable din

many suggested the Altis, Vios , Sentra or Exalta...

What car can you suggest based on my budget? By the way, it includes any repair costs if any..

Thanks much in advance and God bless!
    For lower budgets, it is always my advise to get the manual variants only. Old matics tend to be more unreliable and thirsty.

For sedans I'd suggest the 1.6L M/T variants of the 2nd gen Ford Lynx (2002-2005), ZZ Toyota Altis (2001-2008), or the N16 Nissan Sentra (2002-current). The Lynx and Sentra are similar in terms of resale value, though my preference goes to the Lynx which is endowed with better looks and features. The Altis, being a Toyota, has a higher resale value. That is to say you'd be getting a much older car or one in poorer condition as compared to a similarly priced Sentra or Lynx. This one however gets the best gas mileage.

Or, if you would want something more economical, durable and practical, the 1st gen Adventure diesel also fits your budget. Fuel consumption is similar to a typical 1.6L gasoline engine, but consumes diesel fuel which is P10/L cheaper than regular unleaded gasoline. You also get to seat twice the people you will be able to seat in a sedan, or haul huge amounts of cargo.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nujsimon View Post
    Go for the vios Manual Transmission. The many taxi units attest to its easy maintenance, availability of parts and fuel efficiency.

Thank you very much nujsimon! Actually Vios is my first choice because of it's fuel efficiency..but I'm also considering a much bigger size car like the Altis for a comfortable ride...still undecided

8. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jrn29 View Post
    kung hanap mo , matipid at maraming pyesa , pasok na pasok ang toyota vios dito .. low maintenance din naman ito
    Maraming maraming salamat also jrn29 sa input! Yes Parang type ko ang Vios kung may makikita ako na fit sa budget...still considering other options.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Altis will be your best bet. It has enough space for your family of four, decent fuel consumption, and reliable. Sentra/Exalta (GS or GSX models) has more creature comforts but it lags behind a bit in fuel consumption against the Altis. However, with Nissan's low resale value, you can get a younger car for your budget. Madali lang naman parts for both cars, as they are quite common on the streets. The Vios may top the fuel consumption category but I will not recommend it as you plan to use it for a family car - travelling with kids ain't light and a more spacious car is needed.
    Thanks Much Egan101! I really like the Altis too because my sister in law has one and you're right about it's reliability, fc, and most of all more spacious than the Vios. Anyway, if ever I will be lucky enough to find the Vios that fits to my budget I think the space is not much of a problem for me because my family will only be with me mostly on Sundays somtimes Saturdays...I will be using it more to go to work.

Still considering the Nissan Sentra or Exalta but I need to gather enough infos about these cars before making a final decision...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by myk384 View Post
    Good evening and Merry Christmas! Ito pala mga suggestions ko (may link sa mga reviews ko kung meron man):
    THE ULTIMATE USED CAR GUIDE: Used Car Review - Toyota Corolla Altis (2001-2007)
    THE ULTIMATE USED CAR GUIDE: Used Car Review - Toyota Vios (2003-2007)
    2004-present Nissan Sentra GS
    2001-2002 Honda Civic (kung meron pasok sa budget)
    2000-2003 Mitsubishi lancer (wag lang ang 1.5 GL kasi carb)

An odd ball pick is the:
    THE ULTIMATE USED CAR GUIDE: Wildcard Pick of the Month - Hyundai Matrix (2003-2007)

Happy shopping
    Hello myk284, I haven't read your posts yet but I'm sure there will be floods of informations there that will be very helpful for me and for others that will read these thread...THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Need Your Advise: Buying used car in 2013...