New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Mga sir, pa help naman po sa pagpili. Di po kasi ako makapagdecide about these options.

Honda City 2004 iDSi = 298k
    Mitsubishi lancer gls 2004 = 295k
    2005 TOYOTA COROLLA XL = 240k
    2005 Nissan Sentra GX 1.3L = 255k

I need ideas po sana about performance, FC and value for money. Wala po kasi ako ganu idea about cars pero I need to buy one kasi kelangan na po namin.

Salamat po.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Fuel Efficient & High Re-sale value : Honda City

Good looks (can be modified), performance & Plenty of Spare Parts : Lancer & Toyota

Here's what you need to consider before making final decision:

1. Low kilometer reading. More than 70K kilometer, timing belts should have been replaced.
    2. Check for the Tires & Mags if no scratches & threads is still 80%
    3. No accident record. Exterior are in perfect shape without fading colors
    4. Not flooded of course
    5. Tag along a mechanic to check the performance during test drive

My 2 cents

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Not the CVT version of the Honda City. Dami issues.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by athlon24 View Post
    Mga sir, pa help naman po sa pagpili. Di po kasi ako makapagdecide about these options.

Honda City 2004 iDSi = 298k
    Mitsubishi lancer gls 2004 = 295k
    2005 TOYOTA COROLLA XL = 240k
    2005 Nissan Sentra GX 1.3L = 255k

I need ideas po sana about performance, FC and value for money. Wala po kasi ako ganu idea about cars pero I need to buy one kasi kelangan na po namin.

Salamat po.
    Stay away from the Corolla XL. Kahit na sabihing 2005 pa yan, (may Corolla XL pa ba nung 2005?) the engine is a carbureted 1.3L, which means performance inferior to 1.3L EFI engines and fuel consumption worse than 1.6L EFI engines (generally speaking).

Pwedeng ipag-isipan ang Sentra GX at Lancer GLS. You get the Lancer if you want more power and the Sentra if fuel efficiency is higher up on your list. It'll also be a better driving experience if the Sentra you are getting has all power amenities already.

As for the City iDSI, only get the manual version. This car is very, very fuel efficient, and it has the ULT seats which means very big cargo space when needed. But maintenance can be costlier than most since it is a Honda and also due to the fact that it has 8 spark plugs. But then the performance of this car is not very good, being focused mostly on fuel efficiency.

You may also want to look at the Nissan Sentra 1.6GSX
    nissan sentra GSX Philippines - 3016222
    2005 Nissan Sentra GSX m/t Philippines - 3835345
    Nissan Sentra GSX '04 A/T Philippines - 3398114

Or the Toyota Vios 1.5G
    2003 toyota vios 1.5g Philippines - 3403279
    Vios 1.5g 2003 Manual Philippines - 2639294

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Sir, salamat po sa reply.

Yung City po nasa 80k na po mileage nya, ok lang po kaya yun.

Tsaka, pasensya na po, newbie po ako sa cars eh. Ano po yung CVT? panu ko malalaman kung CVT yung City o hindi? Tsaka anu po mga issues nya?

Thanks po.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Stay away from the Corolla XL. Kahit na sabihing 2005 pa yan, (may Corolla XL pa ba nung 2005?) the engine is a carbureted 1.3L, which means performance inferior to 1.3L EFI engines and fuel consumption worse than 1.6L EFI engines (generally speaking).

Pwedeng ipag-isipan ang Sentra GX at Lancer GLS. You get the Lancer if you want more power and the Sentra if fuel efficiency is higher up on your list. It'll also be a better driving experience if the Sentra you are getting has all power amenities already.

As for the City iDSI, only get the manual version. This car is very, very fuel efficient, and it has the ULT seats which means very big cargo space when needed. But maintenance can be costlier than most since it is a Honda and also due to the fact that it has 8 spark plugs. But then the performance of this car is not very good, being focused mostly on fuel efficiency.

You may also want to look at the Nissan Sentra 1.6GSX
    nissan sentra GSX Philippines - 3016222
    2005 Nissan Sentra GSX m/t Philippines - 3835345
    Nissan Sentra GSX '04 A/T Philippines - 3398114

Or the Toyota Vios 1.5G
    2003 toyota vios 1.5g Philippines - 3403279
    Vios 1.5g 2003 Manual Philippines - 2639294
    Thanks po. With regards to the maintenance issue of Honda, malaki po ba ang difference sa iba?

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Isang klaseng automatic yung CVT (continuously variable transmission) which is usually more efficient but less durable as compared to conventional automatic transmissions. Basta't automatic na local na 1st generation City/Jazz, CVT yan. Yung CVT ng 1st generation City/Jazz kasi is kinda like the first of its kind that Honda has made kaya maraming problema although talagang matipid ang sasakyan. At ang mahal mahal magpa-ayos (at kaunti pa ang marunong) o magpapalit ng CVT, sometimes not even worth the value of the car anymore.

For a 2004 car, 80k mileage is kinda high especially for a sedan (which usually run less as compared to commercial vehicles), considering our 2001 Revo has only done 83k, 2002 Trooper 71k, and 2005 Accord 61k. But then again, if everything that is supposed to be replaced has been replaced and the car's performance is still in tip top condition then it shouldn't be much of a problem.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    sir, actually po M/T po lahat ng post na options. I'll go for M/T kasi di naman po gaano ang traffic dito sa amin. Bale eto po yung option ko na City.

Honda City 2004 iDSi Black Sale/Swap to Lower model Philippines - 3122831

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    As far as I can see, the unit seems to be quite fresh, but you can never tell unless you see and try it in person. Honda casa maintenance is very expensive as compared to other brands, parts cost are also considerably more expensive. But it is also worth noting that Honda cars have a 10000km service interval as compared to 5000kms for some others. But personally, I would not be getting a non-VTEC Honda, and this particular model of the City doesn't exactly look appealing. You may want to check out the Vios 1.5G M/T's that I posted. These have lower maintenance and parts costs, good fuel efficiency (though not up to iDSI standards of course), and significantly better engine performance.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    sentra sir

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Need your advise in buying 2nd hand car (300k)