New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    [SIZE=2]I am pretty much on a stand still as to what car to buy. I am currently looking at the Honda Accord 2.4, the Mazda 6 and the Hyundai Sonata Premium. I was originally waiting for the upcoming Fortuner with the new look but decided on a mid sized sedan instead cause our family has 2 SUVs already. The Fortuner would have been practical for the price but I guess I prefer a better ride, excellent driving experience and ample comfort that a mid sized car can offer.

I am leaning towards the Mazda 6 due to its looks but unsure if Mazda as a brand is reliable enough (and its been around since 2008). Read from previous threads that the engine ain't that great?

The Hyundai Sonata comes second cause it gives the biggest value for the money but it might look too old and serious for a 25 yr old. And the badge, might have to live with it?

The Accord would be my safe choice out of the three cause of the H badge but interior wise it isn't as packed as the Sonata and the 6 in terms of tech (and it also has been around since 2008).

If only I could combine all positive features from all 3 and pack it all in a car then that would be awesome! Unfortunately.. only possible in dreams!

Need some advice... Thanks!
    [/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I'd suggest the Sonata. So far, for me it is the only midsize sedan that is an instant headturner. The Hyundai badge suddenly became prestigious when put on this car. Reports worldwide say that the performance and handling is pretty much similar to the Accord. Good enough for me. And then if you buy this one, you still got lots more spare change left, if you would want to throw in some modifications for better performance.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Accord:

Sonata

Personally, I think the Accord screams "old guy!" more than the Sonata *lol*

Both have the H badge but I find the Hyundai to be sportier while Honda comes across as serious executive. Hyundai has also improved significantly in terms of quality so the old school thought of Korean cars not being up to par is already very much dated.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Interiorwise, I prefer the materials and build quality on the Accord compared to the Sonata.

But the latter really is eye-catching.

And this is coming from someone sub-30 years old ;)

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Design-wise it seems that the Accord is to BMW as the Sonata is to Audi and Mercedes. And I am not a fan of BMW design since Chris Bangle came in. Too bad the Kia Optima is not yet available locally, if it were that would've been the best bet, period. But then again, its not a problem to import one through the grey market and many importers have their own casa's as well.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    [SIZE=3]* GTi: Sonata does look pretty good. I just saw the white one and it looks sporty. In my opinion, the black and grey one are too executive looking with the huge shiny grill in front. The black one I saw up close in the showroom and it wasn't my cup of tea. The Kia Optima looks awesome though! I wonder when it's getting here. And I just read that it actually won awards for its design.

* mda: Yeah, the interior of the Accord does look premium. But it doesn't give off the wow factor that the Sonata gives; iPhone connectivity, the sunroof x2, etc..

* digitalron: You are right. Hyundai has really stepped up its game and the Sonata says a lot about how they have improved in quality. Still can't accept that its a Hyundai though.. But really considering it despite the bias I have towards Japanese cars..

Thanks guys!
    [/SIZE]

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Ang ganda talaga ng Sonata Optima duo. Ang saya saya makakita ng isang household wherein the husband drives a black Optima and the wife drives a white Sonata. Do you get the picture? IMHO the best color for the Sonata is white, especially with the panoramic sunroof. The result is simply elegant! Have you driven or at least ridden in any of the more upscale Hyundai's? If not, you should really have a try. It will definitely change your perceptive towards the brand and its products.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Lumakaki ang kita ng HARI kay GTi. HAHAHA. Na-drive mo na ba yunh current line-up ng HARI ngayon?

So ganito yan, kung nauna lang lumabas yung Sonata sa Tucson, malamang yun na binili ko. In hyper metallic.

Just look at jhnkvn, he's enjoying his college life using a Sonata. Haha

9. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by taong.dagat View Post
    [SIZE=3]
    * digitalron: You are right. Hyundai has really stepped up its game and the Sonata says a lot about how they have improved in quality. Still can't accept that its a Hyundai though.. But really considering it despite the bias I have towards Japanese cars..

Thanks guys!
    [/SIZE]
    I was raised in a family of Japanese car lovers, owning Toyotas (Toyopet, SR, DX, E90, GLi, Altis E) and Mitsubishis (L-type, Lambda, Box-type GSR, L200). I myself drive a Nissan X-Trail. However, I recently got a Tucson Theta II and found it very much to my liking. In fact, I've grown to like it so much that for my next purchase, I'm strongly considering the Sonata GLS Premium, along with the Genesis Coupe 2.0T AT. The Hyundai badge (along with Kia) has become a desirable badge, and in the US, its fans are growing in numbers, especially those treated to the GDI versions of what we have here (Sonata GDI Turbo *drool*).

So come on! Drop the bias and take the plunge ;)

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post
    Lumakaki ang kita ng HARI kay GTi. HAHAHA. Na-drive mo na ba yunh current line-up ng HARI ngayon?

So ganito yan, kung nauna lang lumabas yung Sonata sa Tucson, malamang yun na binili ko. In hyper metallic.

Just look at jhnkvn, he's enjoying his college life using a Sonata. Haha
    Ikaw naman oh... Basta kapag may Starex, Santa Fe at Sonata yun kaagad pipiliin ko. Ang Kia kasi ang tamad tamad eh, parang ayaw magbenta dito, kundi may Optima pa akong mapipilian. At among the three the Sonata really is the most unique and gives the most value for the money. Hindi ba?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast