New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    hi guys! i'm new here at tsikot.com. i need your help in choosing a 2nd hand car. i have 2 options for now, a honda civic hatchback (92-95 model) and a mitsubishi gsr ( or if u have any suggestions to go with, feel free)

which car should i go? as much as possible i want a low mainteance and a fuel efficient one..

also, what are the other things to consider when buying a 2nd hand car?

all your responses are highly appreciated! thanks!

cheers!
    Last edited by ghosthunter; February 4th, 2011 at 04:05 PM.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    You're looking at two-doors? Of course with 2nd hand cars, newer is always better. Between the ESi hatch and the GSR, I'd definitely get the GSR. But the one I'll look for is the facelifted one with multireflector headlamps, new grille, and rear disc brakes. But then, the GSR is not exactly a very good car either as it doesn't have any performance improvements over its sedan counterpart besides the added inconvenience of lacking two rear doors and having less space. How much is your budget, by the way? If you have the budget to buy the Lancer GSR, I suggest you look at the EK Civic VTi instead. Its fuel efficient, durable and packs quite a punch.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    thanks sir GTI for the reply.. with regards to budget, i think ican only limit it up to 200k.. hehe.. dont have enough money.. but im trying my best to save for my first car.. (although 2nd hand)..

anyway, regarding the gsr, ur suggesting that i'll go with the Ek civic vti instead.. how much does it cost? what are its advantages/disadvantages..

i have another question, can those cars (hatch and gsr) travel or perform long drive (like tagaytay, batangas, etc..) that's also my concern before buying a 2nd hand car..

4. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    when buying a second hand car, especially on a tight budget, you have to brace for many many issues that will come out, unless otherwise someone is donating a car in a very good condition.

it depends on the condition of the car you will buy; if the engine and cooling system are OK, sisiw ang batangas at tagaytay, pwera na lang na punuin mo ng husto ng tao ang sasakyan mo.

when buying a used car, make sure you bring a reliable mechanic with you to check for problems. but make sure you ask the mechanic to be honest with his findings and opinion.

gsr vs hatch, i will go for hatch; but it still depends on the car's condition.

good luck!

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstrike View Post
    thanks sir GTI for the reply.. with regards to budget, i think ican only limit it up to 200k.. hehe.. dont have enough money.. but im trying my best to save for my first car.. (although 2nd hand)..

anyway, regarding the gsr, ur suggesting that i'll go with the Ek civic vti instead.. how much does it cost? what are its advantages/disadvantages..

i have another question, can those cars (hatch and gsr) travel or perform long drive (like tagaytay, batangas, etc..) that's also my concern before buying a 2nd hand car..
    The EG Civic hatch is too small for me, and its devoid of many features, has a weak 1.2L engine, and being an EG, it is notorious for having rust issues. At 200k, you'd be able to find 1996 EK Civic VTi's, although I'd advise you to look carefully at the condition of the car. The EK Civic is famous for its powerful engine which is way ahead of its time and is still competitive even with modern 1.6L engines. Then it has double wishbone suspension fore and aft which gives it excellent handling, and its the last Civic generation to have it. Disadvantages? I'd say it doesn't have many features like ABS or airbags and being a Honda, maintenance isn't what you'd call cheap. Another car worth considering is the Honda City Type-Z. You can get a newer car for your money and its VTi variant (which you might have to add a bit of an extra) is real quick as well. Although, of course, it is not as roomy or sporty as the EK Civic. But if you want a newer car, then that's it.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    the only advantage i can think of a 2 door, is that i have 2 doors less to worry about. but for practicality of use, i believe 4 doors is usually better. and that hatch is over 15 years old. might i steer you to the newer, 4 dr models? you can probably get a good 4 dr corolla, sentra, or city at your budget... and i think any car in good condition should have no problems on long trips.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    wow.. thanks guys for your inputs.. seems like the hatch right now is not the best car to go.. 'coz first and foremost, luma na siya.. although ito talaga ang gusto kong car, pero parang hindi na rin practical.. especially for me.. on having a first car (2nd hand pa)

*sir GTI, dr. d and LNopal:
    can you help me extend my options on choosing for a 2nd hand car based dun sa mga sinabi nyo.. what do you think is the best car to go for.. pasensya na po.. di pa din po kasi ako familiar dun sa mga specs nila..

thanks!

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    You are the one who is buying the car so it must be one that you really want. The EK Civic VTi makes 125hp/6400rpm which is the highest power output in the 1.6L compact sedan class during its time, eclipsing the AE101 Corolla and Lancer "Itlog"'s 115hp and the Sentra Series 3's 110hp. It has a power to weight ratio that either matches or is better than the compact sedans of today at around 121hp/ton for the manual version. If I can get a well maintained EK Civic for my money, I wouldn't be considering any other car anymore. But then again, I suggest you save up a bit more (around 50-60k will do) for the 1999 facelifted version which looks much, much more modern and will generally give you lesser headaches since it is newer.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Peak horsepower only tells you half the story.

Although the Civic VTi engine generates 125hp*6400rpm while other cars like the Sentra 1.6L only does 110hp*6000rpm, it doesn't mean the Civic is automatically better. For one, the civic will have to reach 5500rpms to make the most torque from the engine. That means you have to push really hard on the engine. Great if you want to race but a poor choice for stop-go city driving because to get the max power from it, you need to keep the engine between 5500rpm and 6400 rpm. Below 5500rpm, the Civic can feel sluggish at times.

On the Sentra or Corolla (of the same year model of the Civic), peak torque comes in around a friendlier 4000-4500 rpm. This is more suited for daily driving. No need to push the engine to its redline to get the most power from it. Simply keeping the tachometer at the midpoint will get the car moving even with the heaviest of loads. It will also help keep fuel consumption at a reasonable level.

Then there is another reason why the Civic is a poor choice. If and when the engine of the Civic overheats, it will warp easier due to it's lightweight design. The very small "half-width" radiator in the Civic doesn't help either. Fixing a warped engine can be expensive and time consuming. The engine of the Sentra or Corolla, on the other hand, are less prone to this type of overheating damage.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; February 5th, 2011 at 02:13 AM.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    wow.. i'm really learning from you guys.. dami na ko natutunan dito.. thanks a lot.. i think i need to make some reviews reagrding specs of different cars.. i'm not that familiar with those things. i think it would be of great help..

anyway, i was browsing at different prices of 2nd hand cars a while ago.
    i noticed that the Ek civic VTI's price is almost near the price of the 2000-2003 honda city type Z.. should i go for the 03 honda city? since this is the newer one...

i think i need to remove the hatch and gsr on my options..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Need help/suggestions for buying a 2nd hand car