New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn_duke View Post
    ^^ 2.8 Innova? not with the 400k budget.

What you will get for 400k are the likes of 2nd hand 10yr old adventure and crosswind or starex grx.

For 150k (550k) more you will have more choices including >5 yr old innova E or a 2015s Grand Starex or a 2nd gen monterosports, or 1st gen fortuner.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn_duke View Post

What you will get for 400k are the likes of 2nd hand 10yr old adventure and crosswind or starex grx.
    I think the crosswind suggestion is probably good.

I don't know much about the crosswind but it seems to be very sturdy. Its design also doesn't really age. I've seen several of them in mint condition in the village and they still look good.

Iyon nga Lang medyo masikip ata sa loob for a 7 seater kapag full load.

Sent from my RMX3690 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

2. Join Date
    Mar 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Strapped for cash? ... don't buy a car ... the most expensive car you can buy is the cheapest one ... frequent breakdowns will drain your funds ... very quickly ... allocate your extra funds to your business ...

and if you really must buy ... (which is not recommended given your financial status) ... avoid Ford and Korean used cars ... stick with Toyota ... get a Toyota Vios if you want easy to maintain with cheap parts ... that said, Toyota Innova is still the better buy but resale value of these are high ...
    Hi sir sorry but it is a must for me now. My wife and I have been commuting ever since but then my 1st child came and it was too difficult. Same with you it was also my belief that i should have bigger income before getting a car but when you already have a child, reality kicks in. Thats why im trying to buy something within my budget and didnt consider getting brand new. I know middle class earner whose income is way lower than mine but able to survive with 2nd hand cars, no choice but to dive in the gamble too for our safety and convenience.

But I appreciate you suggesting to get a sedan instead. This would save me more cash but if there is a cheap Innova close to Vios price i'll get that of course.

Thank you sir!

3. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Innovas are great cars. However, in the second-hand market, Innovas are waaay overpriced. The ones in your budget have usually been driven above 150k km already, or worse, have tampered odometers. Worst-case scenario would be refurbished rental cars or part-time UV express shuttle cars (aka colorum) which may look good on the outside but have unseen gremlins just waiting to come out.

In my experience, for cars like the Vios, Innova, and Hi-Ace, the only viable used units would be the ones where you personally know the owner and know the car was taken care of.

I also agree with an earlier post to look at Crosswinds as these will likely be within your budget (not overpriced), are reliable, and can fit your needs.

If you're buying a used sedan, I would suggest looking at a used Mitsubishi ASX. These will be under your budget, look great, and will likely be easy enough to maintain. It won't have as much space as an AUV but it will be a more premium vehicle and you will enjoy it more than the Crosswind.
    Last edited by Verbl Kint; March 11th, 2024 at 01:48 PM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    Innovas are great cars. However, in the second-hand market, Innovas are waaay overpriced.
    i stated earlier my opinion that innovae are well built.
    i used to have an innova with almost 150K km. it still drove fine until i sold it because of garage space issues.
    it's probably why used innovae command higher selling price.
    personally, if the previous owner took reasonable care of the innova, i wouldn't let that relatively high odometer reading scare me off. but i will use it to get some discount. heh heh.
    happy hunting.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2024
    Innovas are great cars. However, in the second-hand market, Innovas are waaay overpriced. The ones in your budget have usually been driven above 150k km already, or worse, have tampered odometers. Worst-case scenario would be refurbished rental cars or part-time UV express shuttle cars (aka colorum) which may look good on the outside but have unseen gremlins just waiting to come out.

In my experience, for cars like the Vios, Innova, and Hi-Ace, the only viable used units would be the ones where you personally know the owner and know the car was taken care of.

I also agree with an earlier post to look at Crosswinds as these will likely be within your budget (not overpriced), are reliable, and can fit your needs.

If you're buying a used sedan, I would suggest looking at a used Mitsubishi ASX. These will be under your budget, look great, and will likely be easy enough to maintain. It won't have as much space as an AUV but it will be a more premium vehicle and you will enjoy it more than the Crosswind.
    Mitsubishi ASX looks really good for me. But would you know po if this one is fuel efficient? It has Gasoline engine and my worry are the parts, are they cheap and always available like Toyotas?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2019
    I am also looking for a second hand car.
    But medyo talamak yung dayaan sa odo sa mga bayansellers.
    I agree with suggestions here to look for a first owner car.
    Baka pang grab yung makukuha mo na tampered ang ODO.
    Some grab cars will reach as much as 100k km in just 1 yr.
    If mint condition pa ang unit with this mileage, this is the variable that you can use in negotiation.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gilbert1614fnt View Post
    Mitsubishi ASX looks really good for me. But would you know po if this one is fuel efficient? It has Gasoline engine and my worry are the parts, are they cheap and always available like Toyotas?
    Parts availability of any car brand will never match Toyotas in the Philippines, tbh.

However, mitsu parts suppliers/importers have been around in the Philippines since the 70s. Some shops are even being run by the grandchildren of the original founders. Meanwhile, the 4B11 engine on the ASX is reliable and parts can be found easily.

If you get lucky, you might even be able to get one for 80k km mileage for a price in your budget.

Not sure on fuel consumption though.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Parts availability of any car brand will never match Toyotas in the Philippines, tbh.
    yup.
    i found this out, the hard way.

"if your budget limits you to older cars, go toyota."
    it's also probably why even older toyotas still are buy-able, and why they somehow command higher price, despite their ancientness.

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gilbert1614fnt View Post
    Hi mga Ka Tsikot, i need help from you guys to decide on what best car to buy with the 400K budget i have. I am on my late 30s already and currently working as a corporate guy but planning to grab early retirement if ever the company offer it this year. I plan to pursue and focus on my small guitar business. My wife is pregnant to our 2nd and 3rd babies so in total we will be 5 in the family this year. My initial choice was a Montero but after knowing that my wife is carrying twins on her belly that i decided to lower my budget to allocate some on her pregnancy. I need help to decide what kind of SUV will fit to our needs. I listed the criteria below.

- Automatic
    - Fuel Efficient (Expecting to travel a lot from Rizal to Pampanga and vice versa)
    - Big Space since i will be carrying guitars for business and churchmates on Sundays
    - Mura at Maraming Pyesa sa Market
    - Will be serviceable by mechanics in the next 10 years (If i didnt make it sa aming business baka 1st and last na car na to hehehe)

Sana po matulungan nyo ako, i asked advice from my in laws and friends but the common answer to me is Innova and Sportivo. I want to know the opinions of other people din.

Maraming Salamat po and God Bless sa ating lahat na mga nagmamaneho.

if you could stretch your budget a little more, yung Grand Starex. maganda space niyan for the family and cargo mode daig pa pickup truck, plus it's shorter than a pickup din, sakto mga gitara sa likod.

You just have to join clubs para makatulong sa maintenance and parts.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by foifoi05 View Post
    You just have to join clubs para makatulong sa maintenance and parts.
    somehow, that's not a very encouraging concept...
    heh heh.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast