New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Hi everyone -

Hope to get great advice from fellow members as I have done in the past

I was originally planning to buy a 2.2 XLT A/T Ranger but got pretty disappointed that the waiting line is so long that even our procurement office mentioned to me that they couldn't find anyone to commit in delivering one in the near future.

So I looked around and found interest in the Montero Sport GLX A/T. Having read stuff on it my only concern is the "turbo lag" owners have been mentioning. I am not the know everything and tinkering sort of owner and would really just want a reliable vehicle that would meet my needs.

Budget: 1.2M
    Transmission: A/T (as the vehicle will be used in Manila on weekdays)
    Previous vehicle: 2010 Tucson

The help I need:
    A. Can anyone explain the "turbo lag" and what it would mean while driving on the road?
    - I will use the vehicle mainly in manila on weekdays and would go home to the province on weekends (via SLEX)

B. I read that the issue is not evident in the GLS-V model which is around 150K-200K more expensive.
    - My budget was set to the 1.2M budget and the GLX was a consideration with the unavailability of the Ranger. Is the 150k-200k worth it and what would the benefits be? Does the GLS-V have any similary issues (Yup! I will read the GLS-V thread too )

C. Should I just wait for the Ranger to be available? No idea on when supply will stabilize.

D. Any other suggestions???

Sorry if the post lacks clarity on the need/use of the vehicle is not well defined. I just need a vehicle to utilize a company benefit.

Thanks in advance and hope that this would be the third time to purchase a vehicle based on Tsikot feedback!!!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    for sure the montero will ride better than the ranger

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hi there!

The best way I can explain turbo lag is that it is like a delay in acceleration after hitting the throttle hard. This is usually experienced at the RPM range between idling until around 2000rpm which is when the turbo "kicks in". At this time the acceleration would be sluggish until the turbo is activated which is when you will feel a sudden rush in acceleration. We have a Strada GLS Sport-V, and I am still experiencing turbo lag. Its rather irritating when I am in the mood for hard acceleration off the line, but otherwise bearable. Never driven the non-VGT before so I cannot compare. But I have to say that the lag is very much noticeable as compared to the Santa Fe VGT (Gen. 2), wherein turbo lag is almost non-existent.

The Montero is actually very much bang for your buck at just 1.2M, in fact the best in this price range. Its more practical than a pickup too, if you're not constantly hauling large stuff, not to mention much easier to manuever and park. This car has the tendency to emit black smoke under hard acceleration, even with the VGT equipped variants. If you're not a fast driver, then maybe you can save the 200k and get the non-VGT. And then there's also the option of getting a 2nd hand GLS-V.

Personally, I'd go for the Montero over the Ranger since I have no use for the benefits of a pickup. But then it depends on you if you really, really want it and/or have the time to wait. You may also consider the Everest (M/T- 1.37M SRP; A/T- 1.45M SRP). Its more spacious, has better engine performance and handling, but with inferior ride quality.
    Last edited by GTi; May 28th, 2013 at 11:30 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Hi there!

The best way I can explain turbo lag is that it is like a delay in acceleration after hitting the throttle hard. This is usually experienced at the RPM range between idling until around 2000rpm which is when the turbo "kicks in". At this time the acceleration would be sluggish until the turbo is activated which is when you will feel a sudden rush in acceleration. We have a Strada GLS Sport-V, and I am still experiencing turbo lag. Its rather irritating when I am in the mood for hard acceleration off the line, but otherwise bearable. Never driven the non-VGT before so I cannot compare. But I have to say that the lag is very much noticeable as compared to the Santa Fe VGT (Gen. 2), wherein turbo lag is almost non-existent.

The Montero is actually very much bang for your buck at just 1.2M, in fact the best in this price range. Its more practical than a pickup too, if you're not constantly hauling large stuff, not to mention much easier to manuever and park. This car has the tendency to emit black smoke under hard acceleration, even with the VGT equipped variants. If you're not a fast driver, then maybe you can save the 200k and get the non-VGT. And then there's also the option of getting a 2nd hand GLS-V.

Personally, I'd go for the Montero over the Ranger since I have no use for the benefits of a pickup. But then it depends on you if you really, really want it and/or have the time to wait. You may also consider the Everest (M/T- 1.37M SRP; A/T- 1.45M SRP). Its more spacious, has better engine performance and handling, but with inferior ride quality.
    Thanks for the inputs! Decided to go ahead with the GLX. Medyo kinakati dun sa GLS-V para VGT na pero nanghihinayang sa around 170k difference. hehe. Was planning to save the money for safekeeping

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Good for you! Hehe~ If you feel like it, you should be able to bridge and even exceed the 42 hp gap through mods spending less than 100k. And then again, most if not all of the features and amenities present in the GLS-V are also found in the GLX.