New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Hello guys, Im new here and I just have a question. Im not familiar with cars but Im willing to learn and this is my inquiry.

Im looking to buy a used car and got 2 offers so far. One is the 98 lancer GLXI and the other one is a Honda Hatchback EK. The EK cost a bit more than the lancer but my concern is..

Which is the better car? maintenance and performance wise. Please shed some light on this guys so I could make the right decision.

Thank you.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    for me, it is still the EK even though it is older..

why?

- it looks better.
    - minimal suspension and MAF issues
    - higher value.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    I had a hatchback EK in my younger years and my experience was very good For me it is better car in terms of both maintenance and performance. And yes it looks better.

I assume the EK is converted?

You will only have the following issues with the EK (based on experience)
    1. Some body parts will be hard to find if you need to replace them (hoping you don't)
    - My rear window got smashed because of a flying stone and it took me a while to find one. Eventually I got one in Banawe (the supply might be better now though)
    2. Peace of mind on the conversion. Make sure it was done properly.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    By the way the lancer is MT while the hatchback is AT. Maybe the transmission type needs considering.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    test drive both and decide which one you is a happier drive for you

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    AFAIK, all EK hatches are converted. If you're getting that, better make sure of the conversion quality and legitimacy of the papers. A/T EK hatch? I assume this is a lower variant? What's the engine? Personally, if it ain't a Type-R, I might as well get the local EK sedan instead.

Test drive both before making your choice, but take note that the Lancer was notorious for suspension problems.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    AFAIK, all EK hatches are converted. If you're getting that, better make sure of the conversion quality and legitimacy of the papers. A/T EK hatch? I assume this is a lower variant? What's the engine? Personally, if it ain't a Type-R, I might as well get the local EK sedan instead.

Test drive both before making your choice, but take note that the Lancer was notorious for suspension problems.
    If say suspension needed replacement sir, would it be expensive, if not, is the spare easy to find?

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Suspension parts are generally expensive, but then it depends on what you're changing. Considering that the Lancer is a fairly popular model, spare parts are not that hard to find. Though if you take extra care of the car, you shouldn't be experiencing too many problems, especially since the engine is actually pretty good. I had a chance to drive a pizza Lancer before. It was a 2002 GLX (1.5L carb) model. I noticed na laging sumasayad ang suspension even without too much load, and would often bottom out on humps.

How much is your budget, by the way? There may be better cars out there.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Suspension parts are generally expensive, but then it depends on what you're changing. Considering that the Lancer is a fairly popular model, spare parts are not that hard to find. Though if you take extra care of the car, you shouldn't be experiencing too many problems, especially since the engine is actually pretty good. I had a chance to drive a pizza Lancer before. It was a 2002 GLX (1.5L carb) model. I noticed na laging sumasayad ang suspension even without too much load, and would often bottom out on humps.

How much is your budget, by the way? There may be better cars out there.
    The car Im looking for actually is a kind of car thats good looking and at the same time I can crash without breaking my heart. Im actually a new driver so I will go for new model once Im good enought to drive (maybe a year from now). Meanwhile Im getting a used car for practice

Someone offered me a used 1998 AT Ek hatch for 160k(still negotiable) and a 2-door MT mits lancer GSR at 180k (negotioable to maybe 160k). I just want the better deal.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Between EK hatch and lancer GSR,

id pick the GSR. mas available ang local parts, plus pa yung MT.
    as long as hindi ka naman barubal magdrive and you always take it slow sa mga potholes, tatagal naman pang ilalim nyan.
    alam mo naman na weakpoint, so its just a matter of being aware what to be taken care of.

new driver ka pa naman, mas okei na masanay ka sa manual, madali na matic after,
    pag nagsimula ka ng matic, baka matrauma ka pa sa manual, ayaw mo na itry.

my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast