New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Hi, would like to ask for your opinion for my first car. Plano ko sana bumili ng car maybe end of this year or early next year. Main purpose is to have my own transpo from house to work. I live in Valenzuela and I work in Makati (Mataas naman yung place namin and I know some way na hindi bahain papunta sa work.).

I'm choosing between Mitsubishi Mirage GLS 1.2 MT, and The New Vios 1.3E MT (Manual Transmission)

Here are my criteria for choosing one:

1. Fuel Consumption
    2. Maintenance/Reliability
    3. Performance/Features

Budget is below 800k (The lower the better. Hehe.)

I'm open to other car suggestions pero yung hindi lang lalagpas sa budget.
    I prefer brand new since konti lang ang alam ko sa mga kotse at iwas na rin sa mga possible problems ng secondhand cars. Dami kasing posibleng nabaha dahil sa mga bagyo na dumaan.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Vios is a good beginner car.
    - parts are common
    - engine is fairly efficient
    - good interior and trunk space

Pero for the price you'll get more toys with the Mirage.
    - Navi for the GLS
    - cool engine start button
    - all power features
    - cheaper oil changes
    - some bugs need ironing out

My wife likes driving the Mirage compared to the previous gen Vios. Sight lines are better and it's easier to place. It also feels lighter and more responsive. We haven't driven the latest Vios though so no comparisons.

I like the seating position of the Vios better. I can't get comfy with the Mirage's stock seats. An additional seat cushion for more lumbar support helped things a bit.

Test drive and decide
    Last edited by JohnM; September 16th, 2013 at 12:48 PM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    How 'bout the FC of both cars and Maintenance cost? Malaki ba agwat nila? I'm leaning more towards Mirage kasi. I'm thinking na yung pera na masasave ko sa Mirage eh pwede kong ipambili ng performance upgrades and some stuff.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I have a Mirage. I like that it is easy to run, fairly refined, thrifty on fuel and has good features. I don't like that it has a silent recall on starting problems and Mitsu is not acting fast. Been waiting here since July for parts and the casa can't even give a clear status or date schedule. I'd suggest a Vios because of this. I own a 2010 Vios 1.5G before. No headaches whatsoever. I'm sure the new one will be bulletproof as well.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    mas sulit ang mirage compared sa vios. just my opinion

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Mirage is a lot lighter than the Vios and its engine is a bit smaller so on paper for city driving the Mirage should be the winner.

At every oil change the Mirage only uses 3 liters of oil compared to 3.5 liters for the Vios.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    I have a Mirage. I like that it is easy to run, fairly refined, thrifty on fuel and has good features. I don't like that it has a silent recall on starting problems and Mitsu is not acting fast. Been waiting here since July for parts and the casa can't even give a clear status or date schedule. I'd suggest a Vios because of this. I own a 2010 Vios 1.5G before. No headaches whatsoever. I'm sure the new one will be bulletproof as well.
    I've heard of that recall issue to. Pero since may idea na ako about sa recall... diba possible na irequest ko yung unit na hindi na affected ng recall?

8. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    The Mirage is a lot lighter than the Vios and its engine is a bit smaller so on paper for city driving the Mirage should be the winner.

At every oil change the Mirage only uses 3 liters of oil compared to 3.5 liters for the Vios.
    Thanks for the info. About how much is the difference for oil change price for 3 liters and 3.5 liters?

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Problema kasi sa supplier ang recent recall about the flywheel so even Mitsu doesn't know which units are affected. AFAIK mas malaki ang chance na makakakakuha ka ng di sirang unit. IIRC CVT models ang kadalasan tinatamaan. So far naman our GLS CVT at 2k+ mileage la pa naman problema.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinAmandy View Post
    Thanks for the info. About how much is the difference for oil change price for 3 liters and 3.5 liters?
    Synthetic is 500-600 per liter. Kung 3.5 kasi may butal so kelangan iuwi ang sobra for the next topup.

I'm not sure lang kung palit filter din si Mirage every 5k kms like the Vios.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Are we talking of the 2014 Vios here?

It's Vios for me, hands down. Nothing beats a car with a proper boot. A necessity lalo na pag may family ka na. The maintenance differences (peso wise) will balance out on the purpose-fullness of the car.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast