New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Hey guys. First post. I was wondering, which which you prefer? The MB SLK 230 or S2000?

This is going to be my first car (at least a car that I will be the sole driver) and I've checked websites for reviews. Both cars are rather outdated though so I don't know what the general perception are.

The MB is being sold to me at P750,000. (It's a 2000 model)
    The S2000 is being sold to me at P1,000,000. (Still negotiable)

Here are some facts.

1) I don't mind driving shift stick. I can learn it, and will learn it definitely if I get the S2000.
    2) I won't use the car for racing.
    3) I'm 22. Some people say the MB is for older people, so enlighten me on this?
    4) I believe the S2000 being sold to me has modified rear bumpers. Is the stock better?

Thanks in advance guys. Hoping to make a decision in two days time.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Subic po ba sir ?

For me. I prefer the MB SLK 230. No it's not for older people. Madami ako nakikitang mga mid 20's driving the SLK.

S2000 has ***ier curves. Maybe that's why it's more of pang-binata. Racer type kumbaga.

Sir, try to negotiate pa po sa 750k. Baka masagad ng 700k. Mas maganda.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Icenine View Post
    The MB SLK 230 or S2000?
    I would choose the MB SLK 230.

The comparison is like apples vs oranges. They might be both 2 door convertibles but the MB is a much better class than the S2000.

I assume you will never take either car to the track so track performance is not a deciding factor.

The MB is a more comfortable ride, believe me. The S2000 is a focused performance car that would make you tired driving it long distances. The MB would leave you refreshed at the destination.

Pogi points. Personally the MB would get you more pogi points with the right kind of ladies than the S2000 would. Yes, the S2000 would also get points with the ladies but maybe not the kind you want nor as high as well.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 10th, 2010 at 12:25 PM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Especially if the girl isn't a car enthusiast. She's more of the girly stuff. So pag nakita niya ang Mercedes Benz na logo, tapos 2-door pa ... e' alam mo na yun.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Guys, please include Z3 in the discussion. Been offered a very good price for the Z3, 1998 model nga lang.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Icenine View Post
    Guys, please include Z3 in the discussion. Been offered a very good price for the Z3, 1998 model nga lang.
    Z3? ... nah!

But if it was the Z4, I would choose that.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    If you value handling and performance then get the S2000 the SLK230 is not even in the same league.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    If you value handling and performance then get the S2000 the SLK230 is not even in the same league.
    S2000 suspension is too stiff for our public roads.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Depends on what the priorities are.

My assumption is your priority is driving first, looks and poser value second.

This is a R170 (first generation) SLK we're talking about right? I'd avoid that. The steering on R170s is garbage - you'd be making constant corrections at the helm on long drives. Then again it is a cushier car, more of a boulevard cruiser than anything else, and you can't discount the supercharged torque. If you were in the market for the newer second-generation R171, that's a much better, less compromised car.

The AP1 S2000 on the other hand is the opposite. Unless you open the throttle to 6000 RPM and engage the VTEC, it's no different from a Civic in engine character (which is a good or bad thing depending on where you stand with power). But if your top priority is handling and precision it's the car to go for. The downside is it's pretty spartan - even the radio is hidden behind a flap and there's not much space for oddments storage - and it's a little hard-riding.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    Depends on what the priorities are.

My assumption is your priority is driving first, looks and poser value second.

This is a R170 (first generation) SLK we're talking about right? I'd avoid that. The steering on R170s is garbage - you'd be making constant corrections at the helm on long drives. Then again it is a cushier car, more of a boulevard cruiser than anything else, and you can't discount the supercharged torque. If you were in the market for the newer second-generation R171, that's a much better, less compromised car.

The AP1 S2000 on the other hand is the opposite. Unless you open the throttle to 6000 RPM and engage the VTEC, it's no different from a Civic in engine character (which is a good or bad thing depending on where you stand with power). But if your top priority is handling and precision it's the car to go for. The downside is it's pretty spartan - even the radio is hidden behind a flap and there's not much space for oddments storage - and it's a little hard-riding.
    Thank you. This really got me thinking. Especially since I'm going to purchase second hand. I'm onto performance first but you can't deny a really handsome devil. Based on looks in my opinion Honda S2000 had my heart but it's hard to find one with a good price. I finally found one but it turned out that it was converted from right to left, gah. My budget's just up to 800k.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MB SLK 230 or S2000?