New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2013
    new member, first thread/post...
    I'm on the wait list for the 3.2 Wildtrak but everyone knows how that's going so I'm considering other options.
    I'm looking for an SUV with a max price tag of 2M. I might consider going up as high as 2.4 if it's worth it.

here are my preferences:
    Preferably diesel
    Good FC would be huuuuge plus
    creature comforts and what not inside
    dark grey or black leather interior

I'm not much of a car guy so any help members here could extend would be greatly appreciated.

I've looked at the following thus far:
    1. Montero GTV - personal preference thing but I'm not so keen on the interior, both color and roominess.
    2. Fortuner 4x4 - We have one and I'd jump on the 2012 one with the dark grey interior, if not for the fact that there's speculation of an all new model coming out soon.
    3. 2.0 eco-boost Explorer - Really nice inside and out, with all the fancy toys. concerned about FC, maintenance cost and resale value. And ofcourse, price.
    4. All new Forester - Looked at it this morning, the base model, though, not the XT. The XT looks to have all the little toys one could want but I'm curious about its performance. A little unsure about its looks and size too.
    Any suggestions or perhaps things to reconsider about the ones I've seen?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I gone through the same when i was looking for one. I was quick to get the Montero & Fortuner as per what you have mentioned plus they're all over the place.
    Subaru would fall on small SUV or a cross over car thus i ended up on an Explorer. I believe i made a right choice as the FC is not bad if you compare the load & size. Unlike you, i consider enjoying the car rather than selling it later.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    You might want to include the Chevrolet Trailblazer and Hyundai Santa Fe in your choices. A lot of members swear by them; good fc, creature comforts, etc

4. Join Date
    May 2013
    Macsd, thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not one to sell and update after only a few years of use either. In fact, I'm just coming off a 2001 Trooper. Regardless, I tend to look at both resale value and especially durability over an extended period of ownership/use. We all know the perception towards Ford SUVs and my friends were quick to point them out when the topic came up the other night. Not to say they're all factual or even remotely accurate but being as confused as I am, it definitely made me think.
    Which Explorer model did you get and what would you say your average FC is for city driving? What about maintenance/PMS cost so far? Honestly, I'm trying not to but at this point in time, I'm leaning towards the Explorer.
    All ears open to suggestions though, still not 100% sold on any one of these cars -- now, even on the Ranger since I dont really have much use for a truck.

Calistro, thanks for the heads up. I didn't consider those before, based solely on aesthetics, but will go check them out anyway.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Maybe you can also consider the Mazda CX-9 as it is quite decent for a 7-seater. However, if you will just be ferrying 5 people or less most of the time, the Forester XT will be your best bet. Or if you want something unique with proven performance and enough room for 5 (plus luggage space), you may want to look at the Subaru Legacy GT wagon.

6. Join Date
    May 2013
    Thanks Egan. It's actually not a bad looking car, the CX9. Just looked at it on their site. I'm not excited about the engine size but I'll swing by the dealer tomorrow to check it out. Funny you mention the number of seaters. It's really just going to be me and my GF for the most part... family here and there, on occasions I get asked to drive someone. I do need the luggage space though. One thing I should note not liking so much about the F XT is its size and height. I've gotten used to having good ground clearance and above-traffic-sight.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethinker View Post
    Thanks Egan. It's actually not a bad looking car, the CX9. Just looked at it on their site. I'm not excited about the engine size but I'll swing by the dealer tomorrow to check it out. Funny you mention the number of seaters. It's really just going to be me and my GF for the most part... family here and there, on occasions I get asked to drive someone. I do need the luggage space though. One thing I should note not liking so much about the F XT is its size and height. I've gotten used to having good ground clearance and above-traffic-sight.
    I think the explorer has a low low low clearance due to the plastic guard below the front bumper. Mukhang sayarin pa sa mga ramps...

8. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    CX9 is a very good car in many aspects, looks, build quality (Japan CBU), handling, ride comfort, luxury, road presence, etc. The only downside I would consider is FC. Personally, I'm getting around 5.5km/liter on almost 100% CBD driving (Ortigas, Fort, Makati). If you can live with that, it's an excellent choice. They have a new facelift, so outgoing model is on attractive discounts. I understand there is still P200k discount for outgoing model.

Think about this, the P200k discount will already pay for your gas expenses differential for several years. Hope this helps.

Best to test drive all your shortlisted options so you have first hand comparison.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    new member, first thread/post...
    I'm on the wait list for the 3.2 Wildtrak but everyone knows how that's going so I'm considering other options.
    I'm looking for an SUV with a max price tag of 2M. I might consider going up as high as 2.4 if it's worth it.

here are my preferences:
    Preferably diesel
    Good FC would be huuuuge plus
    creature comforts and what not inside
    dark grey or black leather interior

I'm not much of a car guy so any help members here could extend would be greatly appreciated.

I've looked at the following thus far:
    1. Montero GTV - personal preference thing but I'm not so keen on the interior, both color and roominess.
    2. Fortuner 4x4 - We have one and I'd jump on the 2012 one with the dark grey interior, if not for the fact that there's speculation of an all new model coming out soon.
    3. 2.0 eco-boost Explorer - Really nice inside and out, with all the fancy toys. concerned about FC, maintenance cost and resale value. And ofcourse, price.
    4. All new Forester - Looked at it this morning, the base model, though, not the XT. The XT looks to have all the little toys one could want but I'm curious about its performance. A little unsure about its looks and size too.
    Any suggestions or perhaps things to reconsider about the ones I've seen?
    Try considering sir:

Trailblazer 2.8 Duramax
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D
    Santa Fe 2.2 R-eVGT

Goodluck!

10. Join Date
    May 2013
    Thanks for the additional responses!

Timykoo, tama ka. I've read reports of it being low enough to graze curbs. I'll really have to test drive it to see about its driving height. If I get a good enough height of sight, I may look past the clearance. That's the one thing I felt the F XT lacked.

ano727, that's not a bad way of looking at it. I agree, I will have to test drive them all, or at the very least, my top picks.

d_mac, I'll give the Trailblazer another look. I was just at the Toyota dealership near me and I was told they could no longer get me the one with the dark grey interior. That's kinda what kept the Fortuner up in the top 3 on my list. I really don't want to deal with another tan interior-ed car. lol!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast