New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Hi Gurus,

I will be buying a second hand car this October, my budget is 275K to 300K.
    Please advise for the best car at this price range, requirement is seen below:

1. Low Fuel Consumption
    2. Automatic Trans
    3. Low Maintenance Cost
    4. Comfortablility of the ride
    5. Power
    6. after 5 years I will sell the car (resale value)

This is for city driving but occational out of town trips for two.

One offer is a Chevy Optra 2008 1.6L but maraming negative traits ang Optra such as malakas ang FC "daw" at sirain "daw" at mahal ang parts, isa pa sirs nakita ko sa Chevy Phil Website wala na ang Optra model dun, does this mean phase out na po ba to?
    One other option is Ford Focus 2007 1.6L kaso wala po akong alam sa car na ito baka mas mataas pa ang FC nya sa optra at mas sirain po sir, also, is Aveo a good option sirs?

Really need HELP papatapos na po ang October wala pa rin akong nakukuha sirs.
    Baka may mas maganda pang option na alam kayo sirs.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated Car gurus.

Cheers,
    Free & Accepted

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You can' get this:

1. Low Fuel Consumption
    3. Low Maintenance Cost
    5. Power
    with this:

2. Automatic Trans
    Most 1.3 to 1.6 liter automatics are, at best, decent on the highway and bad in traffic. At worst, they'll be terrible in traffic. Secondhand ATs in that price range carry with them the potential need to overhaul the transmission.

Also:

6. after 5 years I will sell the car (resale value)
    If you buy a car for 300k, expect to only be able to sell it for 150k after five years. That's non- negotiable. Spend an extra 100k to restore it, and you might be able to sell it for 200k.

-

The Optra really has poor consumption. The Aveo, too, in automatic.

The Focus 1.6, I'd only get in manual. A 1.6 with the 4AT is not enough to carry around that heavy, heavy car.

Good picks if you really need an AT are the Toyota Corolla 1.6 (be extra careful with the condition of the engine oil and transmission) or a 1.5 liter Vios/Yaris. Civics are always a decent buy, also.

The Honda City/Jazz is the most economical car in your price range, but I wouldn't buy one with the CVT, not unless you know the owner and the condition of the car. If you're willing to go manual, you won't find a better deal than a 1.3 MT Jazz.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Best bets would be a Civic ES (VTi-S) or an Altis. Maybe you can also look at a Lancer MX (Cedia) or a Nissan Grandeur Exalta or a Mazda3.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Hi Sirs Niky & Egan101,

Thank you for your recommendations, I will check on sulit or ayosdito for Altis or Civic 2006 or if you know somebody who has a car to sell for this price range please inform me.

Thank you sirs and more power

Cheers,
    Free & accepted.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I'd get the N16 Sentra, the newest you could get. prolly a 2006 or 07 model. If you're lucky, maybe an 08 model. Entry ownershipo model should be the GSX. GS is a better variant though.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    :2thumbsup:

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The 2nd gen N16 (2004 onwards) comes in various models - 1.3L GX (MT and AT), 1.6L GSX (MT and AT), 1.6L GS (AT), and 1.8L 180GT. The chassis is similar to the first gen N16 (Grandeur series). Go for the top tier models as they have better features. I used to own a 2002 Grandeur Exalta GS and it offered a comfortable ride (more like a smaller Cefiro). Though not that quick but it's quite stable on the highway. The top tier models of the 1st gen N16s (specifically the GS models) had a lot more features (sunroof, better upholstery, powered seats, wood trims, wood&leather steering wheels, etc). The newer GS N16s have bigger wheels though, much better than the stock 14s on the older N16s. The 1st gen N16s (Grandeur Exalta or Superio) are sold cheap nowadays so if you can find a one in good shape with low mileage, I guess it's a good buy. Fuel consumption is about 8 km/L on city driving (for the GS AT models) and goes better on the highway. The main problem with the N16 is the front suspension, based on my experience. As it is a heavy for a compact, the front suspension (specially those small bushings in its front suspension arm) needs to be checked regularly (twice a year) if you're going to use it as a daily car in the metro. A nearby Cruven branch can easily sort out this matter.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

The Honda City/Jazz is the most economical car in your price range, but I wouldn't buy one with the CVT, not unless you know the owner and the condition of the car. If you're willing to go manual, you won't find a better deal than a 1.3 MT Jazz.
    agree ako kay sir niky dito. the car is reliable, matipid sa gas, has a flexible cargo space and most of all, is fun to drive.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Thank you for recommendations sirs, if I were to choose a vios 1.5G 2005 model against sentra 1.6 gs A/T, 2007 model which would be a beeter buy sirs?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Free & Accepted View Post
    Thank you for recommendations sirs, if I were to choose a vios 1.5G 2005 model against sentra 1.6 gs A/T, 2007 model which would be a beeter buy sirs?
    the Vios...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast